Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

soapyfish

Members
  • Posts

    419
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by soapyfish

  1. Symantec provide their own drivers for tape drives on windows servers. These have increased the speed of the backup in my experience. Maybe there is some symantec driver thing for the MAC.
  2. I have heard great things about xirrus High Performance Wi-Fi - Xirrus
  3. some where within your frog there is an option called frog user... For me its one of the options on the crystal menu. That will link you to a frog web page with a knowledge base and other helpful docs.
  4. I would suggest that CC4 on a celeron processor is a very bad idea. I understand that every station runs some kind of database to manage the CC4 parts of the system and I expect that is a significant part of the reason for the sluggish performance of even quite hi spec machines. in addition if you "upgrade" your network to CC4 and the login times go from 5 mins to 15 mins the users will NOT think of it as an upgrade in any way !
  5. I would always suggest a X or T series lenovo I have never had any issues getting them to work and there are some great Thinkpad how tos like these Installation - ThinkWiki Linux on IBM Laptops & Notebooks (Thinkpads)
  6. Did you install the entire distibution ? its about 10gb in total also which version of solaris 10 ? You could try opensolaris thats has all the compiz things too
  7. I would use wireshark and the IO graphs and summary options within the statistics menu. To get meaningful and eay to read results I would set the hopefully managed switch that the server is connected to to mirror the traffic to the machine that is running wireshark and then capute the traffic for say 5 mins of activity (if you capture for too long your machine will grind to a halt) Then with the IO graphs and summary options will tell you the number of packets per second and the average size of the packets which you can then use to work out the actual data flowing in and out of the server.
  8. I have just had quotes from RM for both the 6tb EMC and the "mini san" (SMS 100) the EMC was 60k inc VAT and the SMS 100 was best part of 30k that said they both come with the D2DT backup device and the backup exec licences and required switching we are still deciding on what we are going to install but I have to say the cost of both is extreme really. I did wonder about placing my enitre domain on a Sun Microsystems X4540 as that holds upto 48TB in one 4u box it also supports windows and model with less storage are cheaper and Sun were and I think still are offering upto 60% off list prices for education. I do not think RM would not install it after all they have comissioned 3 dell servers for me as RM CC3 DC's Sun Fire X4540 Server - Overview
  9. I have one of the Unicomp Keyboards Endurapro and yes it is great with the exception of the track point as its not really sensitive enough although the mouse buttons on the keyboard come in handy and its click clack cound is perfect.
  10. surely you want rm -r to be sure its gone
  11. I do not use webmin, instead I use calamaris and login to the squid box using ssh through WinSCP which is a freebie then I just copy the html that it creates to my another machine a open the html locally. Its abit more hassle but it works for me. I login to it weekly to check the performance and its seems to work well enough.
  12. I am not a primary school I have 450 clients 9 servers although 4 domain controllers. I used to work in primary schools all over Herts county and one of the biggest problems they all faced was time and money. so a windows domain is good whether it is RM or a vanilla network but they need alot more understanding than a storebox system and more time to boot. Don't forget the training implications of a new system !
  13. ok, I have looked at the server and there are lots of policies the Default RM Domain Policy has the setting "not configured" and this says in the description that if one is not avalible then a default will be used. For me this is not happeneing but there are many other RM policy objects that are proababbly set differently I will check the rest of them tomorrow. Thanks again
  14. Thanks for the quick replies . I am going to have a quick look at the server and see whats what.
  15. I have possible problem. I have 4 RM CC3 DC's and I was under the impression that when 1 server goes down the other 3 DC's would be able to authenticate users and log them in with a default profile. This seems to only be happening in part. For example we have different years groups on each server and if the server that is hosting the home directories and profiles for year 7 goes down then the other server will authenticate the users and log them in with a default profile, so they can produde work and browse the internet etc and save data to a USB drive if needed. The authentication seems to work but then the server say that it cannot locate the home dir or profile and logs the user out again. Is this a server configuration error or correct behaviour ? I have tested this using all clean machines with no local profiles cached. I have also tried forcing AD replication although this seems to happen very quickly in less than a second. The short time makes me think that its failing silently. any sugestion would be very greatfully recieved.
  16. I am running CC3 now and we are able to do all the things you are after. it sounds like a new server is likely to be needed. As previously stated I do not think you can still buy CC3 from RM. I see you are a small school and probabbly have most of your support provided by an external company as there maybe a lack of technical/time within the school itself. On my CC3 network I have daily full backups to a tape device this enables you to take the data tape off site incase of a physical diaster at the school. I use RM Tutor to provide the staff with the ability to control the student desktops with classrooms and keep the students on task (as much as possible). In respect to connecting to a LEA data centre this will require some server configuration and a broadband internet connection (presumabley provided by your lea) and some software. Something else thats worth considering is the requirement to upgrade the classroom pc's if you move to CC4 the the chances are that the majority of classroom machines will need some upgrades or to be replaced. I have heard from some people within RM that CC4 places quite a strain on the classrooms pcs as well as the servers. You may also want to check out the licencing costs associated with a move to CC4. I would suggest that you create some more solid idears as to what exactly is reqired. Think about things like, 1) the ammount of storage space you will need in 5 years time and aim to buy that much now or install a sysyem where the capacity of the servers (or storage device) can be upgraded easily and cheaply. 2) Plan out the functionality the users are expecting ! the last thing you want is the functionality that the users are used to not being avaliable (they will percieve it as a downgrade) 3) I have often found that major IT work is best carried out with the involvement of the SLT etc to lead the project and encourage its use within the rest of the teaching body. 4) Make sure that if you are using an external support company that you speak to them and make sure that they are able to support what ever is installed. That just a few of the things to watch out for.
  17. Ok so I finally have a nearly working conf file I seem to have a syntax error on the last uncommented line but anyway I will update this when i have fixed that as well. any comments welcome etc... # $OpenBSD: pf.conf,v 1.37 2008/05/09 06:04:08 reyk Exp $ # # See pf.conf(5) for syntax and examples. # Remember to set net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 and/or net.inet6.ip6.forwarding=1 # in /etc/sysctl.conf if packets are to be forwarded between interfaces. ### MACROS ### # #interfaces# ext_if="re0" int_if="re1" # #queues# STN_TCP="tcp,ip" STN_ENC="http,ftp,smtp,pop,imap,rtsp" STN_EXS="https,ssh" STN_OTH="udp" # ### OPTIONS ### # #set drop-policy drop set skip on { lo fxp0 } #set loginterface ext_if # ### SCRUB RULES ### # scrub all reassemble tcp scrub out on ext_if random-id # ### TRAFFIC SHAPING RULES ### # altq on re0 cbq bandwidth 10Mb queue { STN_TCP, STN_ENC, STN_EXS, STN_OTH } # # STN_TCP = Is all traffic that is NOT Any of the types listed below # this will include iplayer,internet radio etc traffic. # STN_ENC = Is all traffic that is HTTP,SMTP,POP,IMAP,RTSP, etc # STN_EXS = Is all traffic that is HTTPS, SSL, other time dependant services # STN_OTH = Is all traffic that is not TCP in any form # queue STN_TCP bandwidth 50% cbq (default red) queue STN_ENC bandwidth 30% cbq (red borrow) queue STN_EXS bandwidth 15% cbq (red borrow) queue STN_OTH bandwidth 5% cbq (red borrow) # ### FILTER RULES ### # allow all log #
  18. I am not looking to block anything at all I just plan to use the ALTQ process to prevent any one stealing all the bandwidth and so maintain a better quality of service
  19. I have never used iptables, and I wondered about priotitising on destination but the iplayer site especially seems to be hosted from lots of different IP's and domains and so keep track of them and keeping the list upto date would constant task. I was not planning on using PF to do anything other than to priortise the traffic although I might see if its worth blocking excess broadcast traffic from arriving at the router too as that might add a small performance increase.
  20. Hi all, I have been suffering terrible internet connectivity and after a log chat with my LEA and ISP it turns out that my bandwidth is being saturated with iplayer and streaming media requests. I am on a 10mb connection. Unfortunatley/Fortunatley a significant number of teaching staff use IMDB iplayer and all number of other streaming media sites for legitimate use during lessons (especially music and media studies) I have been using OpenBSD for some time and was thinking about using the inbuilt packet filter system "pf" to priortise and shape the traffic headed in and out of the internet connection. the Plan is to use the ALTQ feature of "pf" to set all TCP traffic with a high priority and then to set HTTP IMAP POP etc with a higher priority using the CBQ method of queueing, and to also allow the HTTP que to "borrow upto 90% of the general TCP traffic queue when that que is under utilised. If any of that makes sense to you and you have implimeneted such a system I would like to know of any pit falls that you may have encountered along the way ! I am still just planning the procedure but I can post updates is people are interested.
  21. Thats odd I have that on some machines only some mind that have that exact same error when under privaliaged users try to run NOVA-T Sorry I cannot offer any more help
  22. I would be very inetested in the success or failure of the live transfer when you do it. if its successful maybe I cen get funds for such an arrangement. Pm me to let me know if thats cool
  23. I in all honesty was not aware that it was able to do so ! i will look into that asap thankyou maybe I can do this over a cross over cable so the backup server is only avalialbe for that purpose (all the servers have 2x NICs)
  24. I thinkt that is what Knount was sugesting it sounds like it might be a plan if I can do it without taking the DB offline which I think I can do with the dbattah program...it might mess up the users passwords doing it this way but thats not such a huge issue
  25. GATT, I have exactly the same situation with my internet connection when the county supplier messes up (frequent) I end up being their firewall :-( I am just glad they do not manage my SIMs as well !
×
×
  • Create New...