Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

soapyfish

Members
  • Posts

    419
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by soapyfish

  1. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows/13091-fireworks-8-internal-error.html that thread seems to be the best answer I have located so far.
  2. I updated to 12.5 when we got our SAN and it worked fine from the start
  3. Low Crime rate Unknown metor shower rate besides you cant say if only we had everthing off site AFTER the metor storm hits !
  4. 41.42012%
  5. I have all all 4 Domian controllers (hooked up to a SAN) copy their data to a staging server over night. The staging server then pushes the data to a locally attached LTO 4 autoloader during the following day so the tapes can be taken off site that evening. We do a differential backup during the week being Mon,Tues,Wed,Thurs, then on a Friday we do a full backup of all servers and. The purpose of the tapes Is really just for a catastrophic failure, earthquake, metor shower, theft etc. We use the staging server to restore files lost or deleted as its much much faster than tape.
  6. I am getting the exact same problem with a very basic script that maps a drive copies some file and then removes the drive mapping. Again it works fine if I run it by hand and fails if I schedule it. It started failing on Friday 18th September for no reason at all ??
  7. I found that if I pressed the power button twice quickly as soon as the system beeps then it will drop to OBP and I was then able to set the auto-boot false flag. Thanks for all the suggestions.
  8. :-( oh ok I should have read the whole post ...still its a battlestation alright
  9. I am assuming that you are paying EX vat being a school ? £877 for the machine budget of £1100 = £233 spare for TFT + graphics = No Problem
  10. Insight UK - Lenovo ThinkStation D10 6427 - Tower - 1 x Quad-... - SBCH8UK I think this one, Now if I can just justify it I can get one too ! You will of course need a graphics card but one of those is cheap and does not need to be powerful Just noticed your budget I think you could add another CPU into that lenovo for the difference. 8GB 2x 2.5 quad core xeons ! 15k sas 2x 1 gb NIC etc FTW
  11. What kind of spec are you looking at ? Its nearly time for me to replace my server too and the migration time seems to be the right time to do it get everything out of the way at once and limit the disruption to the users.
  12. I use the per processor licence not the CAL's
  13. I am in the same boat it must have been 2 years ago at most that I moved to 2005, I don't know how long MS support a version of SQL but it must be more than a few years.
  14. I believe that SIMs needs to be migrated to SQL 2008 before October 2010 so this summer or next summer would be the ideal times to my mind. "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and SQL Express From October 2009, Sims will be supported on SQL2008 and support for Sims on SQL2005 will be phased out by October 2010. During this time, all schools will need to complete a data migration process, using tools which will be provided by Capita. There is no direct upgrade route from SQL2005 to SQL2008, so this process will take place using a side by side installation approach. SITSS will provide further information regarding this process nearer the time as well as guidelines for schools who wish to undertake this process themselves. SITSS will also be offering to complete the SQL installation and migration process at a charge of approximately £300"
  15. I had the same idea I removed the boot disk and went from there. I should have a usb type 6 keyboard turns up soon anyway. Thanks for all the suggestions though.
  16. soapyfish

    Sun Blade 2000

    Does anyone Know how to access the OBP on a sun blade 2000 without an sun type 6 usb keyboard. It is automatically booting solaris and I need to make it boot from the cd with the "boot cdrom" command from the OBP if I can just get to it !
  17. did you try the links i think the second one with the info about file names might be part of your problem
  18. are you patched and upto date on the agent software and the backup exec itself ? http://news.support.veritas.com/connect/forums/ralus-11d-incremental-backups-extremely-slow would this link apply to your situation ? Also this one might hold the key http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-failure-macintosh-system#M20313
  19. Hi Dan, have to looked at the symantec knowledge base for related issues and is the backup exec up to date patch wise ? are you using some Mac software called time machine ? also this thread maybe provide some insight time machine slow initial backup - fix [Archive] - Mac Forums
  20. Ok so its transfering 3 megabytes per minuite to the sysmantec ? have you tested the speed of just copying a normal file to and from the mac to get a comparison ? also do you have antivirus software checking the files on the way in and out of the server that can also have a large impact
  21. how are you measuring the transfer speed ? via symantec
  22. I think you are getting the speeds wrong to be honest "The full and diff windows backups range between around 500 - 1700 MB/Sec (which i assume is mega byte), and then the transfer to tape is around 3300 MB/sec. I'm pulling my hair out over this now, 3MB/sec is ridiculous!!! " A gigabit network link will transfer something like 80 megabytes a second at peak if the data can be supplied into it and recieved from it at that speed. If the data being entered is lots of small files like images, cookies etc this will SIGNIFICANTLY slow the transfer rate down where as if you are transfering .ISO files or movies (anything thats 1 large file) the transfer speed is much higer. if are are transfering 500megabytes a second then you must have 3 things 1 Extemely faster networking being the cable the switch and the network cards in the servers. This would need to be 10Gigabit ethernet to allow you to even get close to 1700 Megabyte speeds. although you might do 500 megabyte. You would also need a very fast disk arrangement in the servers sending and recieving the data to beable to send and right the data at that speed. Both of these things I doubt a school on a education bugdet could afford. I would suggest that you are getting MegaByte and MegaBit confused or that the method of measureing is having some kind of problem.
  23. 980MB per second ! thats extremely fast do you have 10gb connectivity ?
  24. Can you paste the result of ipconfig /all from the windows server enter this into the command line and The result of ifconfig on the mac Enter this into a terminal Also I guess ifconfig will work on the mac as its Unix based if not anyone got a better idea ?
  25. You could sniff the network traffic between the mac and the server to make sure that you are not getting lots of corrupted packets and retransmissions ?
×
×
  • Create New...