Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

soapyfish

Members
  • Posts

    419
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by soapyfish

  1. PassMark Software - CPU Benchmark Charts I use this page to gauge relitive CPU performance, I never really trust these sorts of pages but at least they are tested in the same way so the results are relitive to each other.
  2. I have the same problem with Scorm packages being linked directly to HTTP. I have managed to work around this issue by trying to access the package using Googles chrome browser. When you open the link in Chrome it gives you the true URL to the Scorm package. I have then made a new shortcut/link which contains the corrected URL. The corrected URL starting with HTTPS not HTTP. This has worked for some Scorm packages. The issue I am having is that some of my packages supplied by AQA have a menu on the right hand side of the (like the old windows explorer view) and each linked document inside that directory tree has its own embedded URL which is HTTP but I cannot find away to create sensible links to this content as there are literally 1000's of different URL's.... If anyone has had any success working around this issue I would be very greatful to hear from you.
  3. just minecraft that work fine in linux
  4. Arrh now thats looks exactly what I am looking for, I will try it and let you know how i get on, thanks
  5. Hi everyone, I have recently setup nagios3 to monitor my windows servers using the NSClient software and its all working nicely except the ammount of RAM that is being reported by the "Memory Usage" query seems to include the total RAM with the addition of the used pagefile. I would like it to report on just the physical RAM only if thats something that anyone knows anything about. Thanks
  6. Sylv3r Did you have to taylor any permissions before it would work for the studnets ?
  7. I have not bought sibelius version 6 yet, we are using version 3 at the moment which works fine. but the Music faculty are desperate for the upgrade. I am concerned that the upgrade will not work especially given that RM are no longer selling/supporting it.
  8. Has Anyone tried Sibelius 6 on CC3? It apperars (after a phone call to RM sales) that RM are no longer selling or supporting Sibelius on CC3.
  9. @ Sylv3r would you need to add this line to the ini file for the last package it installs before needing the reboot or would anyone do ?
  10. MikeW did you have this issue yourself ?
  11. That looks very helpful indeed thankyou !
  12. I have a serious problem with my .net framework 2.0 package on CC3. For some reason the package fails to install on almost all stations and the upshot of this seems to be that every user when opening office files from a windows share or via a web link from their web based email client causes the .net framework to start the configuration process. This would not normally be an issue but its taking over 20 mins on each machine and to make things worse it happens everytime they open an office attachment or file from a share. We are running RM CC3. To compound the issue the package.ini file on the station states that the "install_failed" and if I try to uninstall it it says that the uninstall fails also ! I am at my wits end with it and with the start of term looming I am starting to panic does anyone please have any suggestions ? My network manager is away until the very end of august and I need to get the issue fixed ASAP ! At this point any suggestions are very welcome.
  13. 450 Desktops 100 laptops 45 IWB's / Projectors 12 Servers, SAN, VPN, Responsibility for stage lights and sound equipment, 1 Strategic leader of ICT (me) 1 network manager 0.5 technicians and 1 apprentice.
  14. I used an RM tool that I got from their webpage it took some digging but it seems to work with the majority of USB pen drives, except Sony and some other that include software such as the sandisk ones. I downloaded the "RMPrepUSB_2.0.737_REL.zip" and its worked nicely once I got to grips with the interface. I also purchased some lexar firefly drives to use which again I can confrim work well too. I think there is a PDF how to included in the zip file. If you have a problem PM me RM Tool you need to login to the RM page before this link will work. http://www.rm.com/_RMVirtual/Media/Downloads/RMPrepUSB_2.0.737_REL.zip This is the PEN drive I bought and used. 2GB JUMP DRIVE FIREFLY (BLACK) - Misco.co.uk
  15. Now that sounds very helpful, I will look into it and let you know how I get on
  16. Hi, I have number of access points in the 6th forms common room and study rooms with and WPA key. All of these access points are wired via a switch back to an OpenBSD firewall that allows DHCP requests and web traffic, it also redirects all web traffic to the school internal proxy. (This means that the students do not have to configure proxies locally on their laptops.) Its a small scale deployment at the moment and cost just the cost of the access points. I do want to extend it over the rest of the school and will use VLAN's to do that securely. We also require that the student log their laptop with us before they are provided with the key really just so that we can keep track of whats going on and can trace any traffic back to the user if we need to.
  17. Hi, I am having real difficulty when building non RM branded pc's to the schools CC3 network. They boot from a floppy or USB stick as hardware support allows and then proceed to install windows sucessfully. When they start installing drivers as part of the automated process they do not locate the drivers for things like sound and graphics cards. This only occurs if the hardware in question is not supported via a RM hardware support pack. For example if I have a Dell or HP machine that shared the same sound card as a RM pc then the driver installs fine. I have followed some of the RM procedures for retreving drivers from 3rd party machines and installing them into the server build area without sucess. Has anyone else had and hopefully solved this issues or could maybe offer any insight into this process ? Thanks
  18. 4 Domain C's / File Servers 1 VLE 1 SIMS 1 Terminal Server 1 SAN 1 BACKUP SERVER 1 OpenBSD Firewall 1 Debian Proxy 1 Nagios /MRTG Server 1000 pupils 120 staff
  19. @ localzuk How do you monitor what the students are watching ? Also nice logo !
  20. Hi, I am wondering how many of you allow your students to access YouTube and if you find it the cause of a significant number of problems.
  21. do you need to do it from a USB drive ? i used a bootable cd with no issues ?
  22. I am with you Paul_L. LinuxMCE looks good work poorly I also went with media portal much easier ,
  23. For those of you using mrtg to log traffic trough your switch, I have noticed that when traffic exceeds 100mbps on a given port then by default the counter mis-reports the throughput. In order to resolve this you need to edit the config file for the associted port and switch. This issue is due to a lack of support for snmp version 2 by default. To enable snmp version 2 in mrtg you need to edit the config filesas show below. ( I think the switch has to support this too but I am not sure about that yet) In the config file for the switch usually found in /etc/mrtg/switch-name.cfg (in ubuntu 10.04LTS) there will be the following line for each port on that switch Target[192.168.3.111_A1]: #A1:[email protected]: In order to make it snmp version 2 compatible then you will need to add ::::2 to the end of each like that runs at 1Gbps so the line will look like this Target[192.168.3.111_A1]: #A1:[email protected]:::::2 Hope that helps some people
  24. soapyfish

    Nagios - MRTG

    I think I might have solved it I will post tomorrow after ther D2D2T system has thrashed the switch bandwidth abit and I have some conclusive results. I have posted the solution so far here http://www.edugeek.net/forums/nix/59780-mrtg-gigabit-traffic.html#post541794
  25. soapyfish

    Nagios - MRTG

    To prevent starting another thread on this topic, Does anyone have any experience in enabeling the 64bit counters in mrtg ? it seems to be a well documented issues when monitoring links running at 1Gbps or more. The data through put is not correctly logged I cannot for the life of me get it working right although the solution seems to be as simple as adding the ::::2 to the end of the target line in each device/port config file. :-(
×
×
  • Create New...