Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ICTNUT

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    1,433
  • Joined

Everything posted by ICTNUT

  1. Can you tell us what units you are using?? We have a number of LaserBit links and have never had issues with these from the point I installed them no matter what the weather. We have had kids try to break the beams but they never manage to cause any issues.
  2. Anyone see this yet??? Schools set to go open source - 22 May 2008 - Computing
  3. Although I do see a golf course nearby, not all bad then !!!!
  4. I would look at a possible appliance server that does both the firewall and filtering: Bloxx (Content Filtering Only) SonicWall (Firewall and Filtering) SchoolGaudian (Firewall and Filtering) The reason I say this is cost it would be more expensive to purchase a dedicated server (£1.5k), install an open bit of software to do your filtering and firewall (£free), configure and manage over time (£?????), Warranties (£????), Replacements (£?????) If you get an appliance most of the time the install setup and replacement/warranty costs are built in so all you have to do is basic admin of the unit happy that all is covered if it goes wrong. There are other types of appliance out there and i have mentioned only a few (these I have used in the past or am currently using) but if I can give you any advise DO NOT ACCEPT THE FIRST PRICE THEY GIVE YOU
  5. Have not gone for a realtime nas to nas mirror as this would take time to setup and this is something I just don't have at the moment. I have the following in place as part of the backup scheme: NAS1 is primary (active) and holds all staff and student files NAS2 is secondary (passive) and holds sync'd data A robocopy script runs twice a day (08:00 & 13:00) on NAS1 running a sync over to NAS2 with full permissions copied over as well using a dedicated server to server link, 1Gb NICs This will ensure that if NAS1 dies then it just a case of repointing to NAS2, yes depending on when NAS1 dies does mean that there maybe some files missing but at least uptime is maintained and the school could continue. The same robocopy script then runs at 23:00 each day doing a full copy without permissions to a linux NAS box which than backsup to a tape drive for backup purposes, this removes a restricted backup window. Used alongside VSS on NAS1 this means that files can be recovered directly on NAS1 if it is still up and running without having to access NAS2 unless I really have too .
  6. Thisis a good place to start: Admin Login - Learn how to create a Admin Login using dreamweaver and its ASP.NET function.
  7. OK Here goes my setup: 2 x Server 2003 R2 SP2 server (AD, DHCP, VPN, DNS, RADUIS) 1 x Server 2008 (For playing) 2 x 2TB TeraStations 1 x Server 2003 R2 SP2 runinng VM Server (1 x 2003 R2 SP2 with SQL server 2005, 1 x 2003 R2 SP2 with SQL server 2000, 1 x 2003 R2 SP2 with MySQL, Unbuntu 7.10 LAMP) 1 x HP Dual quad core, 8Gb, 1TB, home pc in quad tft mode 1 x HP single quad core, 4Gb, 500Gb home pc single tft (for er indoors) 2 laptops and some other kit lying around currently unused 2 x cicso 2600 routers (1 spare)
  8. I agree I have not had to "Rollback" in a long while it is just a case of small things stop working but as a whole product its ok. Thats the issue exactly and for this reason they do as they wish....
  9. I think we need a little more info here: When you say wireless pre logon what are you trying to do? What authentication methods are you using? What kind of wireless setup do you have? WEP, WPA, RADIUS, 802.1x? I have a very complex managed wireless network based on WPA2+TKIP+RADIUS+802.1x with Machine Authentication and Client Autentication where machine authentication happens when the client is sat at the logon screen without anyone being logged on this is classed as wireless pre logon.
  10. @ittech: We are a high school with a sixth form and we have been told to do this as our census which is due today would not work as is the case for most on this post. I'm sorry but it is not a case of new features but a case of we have no choice, I cannot remember when I last did an upgrade that was by choice and not out of the need to fix something that was broken in the last update. Although I agree that keeping an MIS functioning is priority however, with SIMS, this is never the case as there is always and update to do before some kind of data submission is required so most of us with SIMS have no choice in the matter
  11. Well I can confirm the upgrade borked SIMS as describe above but in addition to this the following is also true. The have activated NOVA-T6 which a link now site DIRECTLY under NOVA-T4 confusing the hell out of our users, this could cause data issues if someone goes into T6 and does stuff but I don't know I have had reports from other schools in my LEA that the SIMS document server itself has stopped responding resulting in no documents and/or reports Just another day after a SIMS upgrade
  12. I ran this upgrade today as we were told that the census would fail without it thats 2 upgrades in 2 days for us Lets see what happens when i go in tomorrow.
  13. I plan to use nessus to ensure that WSUS is updating PC correctly and our AV ClientSide is updating as at the moment I have no way of knowing as the AV is controlled by our LEA and they will not provide us with reports.
  14. Ahh Cool that clears thing up abit. A quick question on your nessus intergration do you have it on the same box as PF or on a seperate one?
  15. @Edu-Tech: I am going to be driving up now as I have been able to shuffle some prior arrangments about on Fri and the weekend. For those that are going up the night before what time are people planning on getting to the hotel??
  16. Geoff, I am planning on implementing this over the summer holidays and wondered the following: I have had a look on the PF website but no joy 1) I want to run this on a dedicated machine what would be the best spec for monitoring a 2000 node network? 2) I would assume it would be best to plub this into one of my HP layer3 core switches on a mirrored port? 3) Can I just plug this in and then config as I go or do all network kit have to be added otherwise it they will not work?? The reason I ask is that I have a number of other jobs I want to do and as long as I get the server in I can config it later so to speak
  17. I am thinking of coming up by train as it is a three hour drive for me otherwise and Ihave a really packed weekend planned so my question is: Is there a train station near to the hotel? If so how far away? Walking distance, bus, taxi, areoplane ;-) What the name of the station?
  18. YEY ! just signed up, now one sits back and waits
  19. Hey All, HTC TyTN II here, bought it offline and then connected it to Vodafone. My main use for it is MS direct push emails from our exchange server
  20. My Little Helpdesk is a fully featured helpdesk and although it does not cover the reporting requirements you may have at the moment the .9 release is currently dedicated to reports and would be out around the summer holidays.
  21. @dave.81: We have our own dedicated servers so if you want to have a play on the demo site -> Helpdesk Demo Site U: admin P: demo123 [edit] Website is backup finally...... [/edit]
  22. Yes it does, I would post the link to the relevant parts of the site but I have just found out that my ISP (Fasthosts) have just deleted my site database As osoon as it is backup i'll get the links posted.
  23. There is some work involved in setting up a RADIUS server took me about 1/2 a day to get the server up and configured and linked to the bluesocket controller. As far as APs are concerned they need no config at all just plug them in, let the controller find them, once found the controller will update them (firmware as well) and your up and running. Laptops, we simply setup a wireless GPO and pushed all these out, setup a GPO to push out internal CA SSL cert out and all done. Total time to get up an running 2 - 3 days We have 3 SSIDs in place: 1 - Secure 802.1x/RADIUS/LDAP for teachers laptops 2 - Public access system allowing filtered web access only with a dedicated username and a password that changes daily 3 - WEP access for Smartphones (HTC TYTN II x 4)
  24. Just to add my 2 pence worth this is what I have, 1 x Bluesocket Wireless Management Appliance (BSC1200) 10 x Bluesocket Access points (BSAP1500) All for £3,500 all in A fully managaged wireless system currently supporting 350 wireless users and VERY secure using a combination os 802.1x and SSL certs with 3 SSID's in place If you would like more info just ask.
  25. Those of you that have 0.9.6 will get it automatically via an email link that will be sent out over the next few of days. Priority is currently given to those who have paid for upgrades and support. Once we have these out of the way we will then move on to everyone else.
×
×
  • Create New...