-
Posts
1,433 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ICTNUT
-
yep same here too. Thought my net connection was up the creek and was running all sorts of tests to figure our where the Geek had gone....... Had to resort to BBC News and some lunch
-
VMWare Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
ICTNUT replied to kooperthedog's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
I would be intrested in this also as I have just taken delivery of a new blade c3000 chasis with blades ( 2x quad xeon, 2 x 73gb sas, 10Gb ram ) a full VM infrastructure setup and 10Tb SAN to sit it all on. I plan to VM my server setup over the october half term but would see this as a way forward for desktops. How does this look from the client side, how are the connections handled, is there a hardware requirement or can you simply "re-use" exisiting kit? -
What are you extracting into?
-
Ignore me just seen plexers post
-
It depends on your LEA but I know that ours does not own the sch.uk name but it was a deal done by the government a while back or at least this is what I am led to believe. If you can get Nominet to do it directly good job but my understanding is that the only person who can transfer ownership of the domain is the current holder.
-
Hi All, I am trying to download the latest version of Joomla from : http://www.joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsrelease/8232/30034/Joomla_1.5.6-Stable-Full_Package.zip but the site seems down. Does anyone know of an alternative download link?? [edit] It's ok found the nighlty builds here: http://dev.joomla.org/nightly/joomla_1.5/ [/edit]
-
I would ask to see where it says that they have to encrypt files, he may have just misunderstood what has been asked of him! I personally cannot see how they can request files and folders be encrypted, what type of encryption method should be used, how do you prove the file is indeed encrypted, where is the evidence. It's non workable
-
The following script will allow you to get the last time a file was accessed in X number of days for a given directory and all those under it. I will see if I can mod it to move the files over for archiving '==================== ' ' NAME: AccessedX.vbs ' ' COMMENT: AccessedX will search the directory that you tell it to for files that have not been accessed in over days ' ' USAGE: CScript AccessedX.vbs [/L:logfile] ' ' - Specifies the directory to start purging files. ' - Specifies how old a file can be in Days before it is purged. ' [/L:logfile] - Specifies a file to output the results to. ' /? - Displays USAGE message. ' '==================== Const EVENT_SUCCESS = 0 Const EVENT_ERROR = 1 Const EVENT_WARNING = 2 Const EVENT_INFORMATION = 4 Dim objFSO, objWSH, objLogFile Dim argCount, iArg, flg Dim RootFolder, AccessedX, Logfile On Error Resume Next Set objWSH = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") argCount = WScript.Arguments.Count iArg = 0 ' Check to see if the user is asking for help. If argCount > 0 Then flg = LCase(WScript.Arguments(0)) If (flg="help") Or (flg="/h") Or (flg="\h") Or (flg="-h") Or (flg="h") Or _ (flg="/?") Or (flg="\?") Or (flg="-?") Or (flg="?") Then Call ShowUsage End If End If ' Make sure that we have at least 2 arguments. If argCount < 2 Then Call Fail("Usage: " & WScript.ScriptName & " /? for help.") End If ' Verify that the first argument is a folder and it exists. RootFolder = NextArgument If Not objFSO.FolderExists(RootFolder) Then Call Fail("Can't find " & chr(34) & RootFolder & chr(34) & ".") End If ' Verify that the second argument is a valid number of days. AccessedX = NextArgument If IsNumeric(AccessedX) Then If (AccessedX >= 1) Then AccessedX = Int(AccessedX) Else Call Fail("Invalid entry.") End If Else Call Fail("Invalid entry.") End If ' If we have more than 2 arguments then error out. If Not IsEmpty(NextArgument)Then Call Fail("Usage: " & WScript.ScriptName & " /? for help.") End If ' Open the logfile if it was an option. If Not IsEmpty(Logfile) Then Set objLogFile = objFSO.CreateTextFile(Logfile, True) Call CheckError End If ' Everything should be ok so proceed with the scanning. Call LogEvent("Files that have not been accessed in at least " & AccessedX & " days" & vbCrLf) Call ScanFolder(RootFolder) ' Clean up. Set objWSH = Nothing Set objFSO = Nothing If Not IsEmpty(Logfile) Then objLogFile.Close ' Exit the script. WScript.Quit 0 '==================== Sub ScanFolder(sFolderName) Dim objFolder, objSubFolders, objFiles Dim Folder, File Dim ret On Error Resume Next Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(sFolderName) Set objSubFolders = objFolder.SubFolders Set objFiles = objFolder.Files For Each Folder In objSubFolders ScanFolder (Folder.Path) Next For Each File In objFiles ret = DaysOld(File.Path) ' If the file older then the wanted # of days then log it If ret => AccessedX Then If StrComp(File.Path, Logfile, vbTextCompare) <> 0 Then Call LogEvent(File.Path & " has not been accessed in " & ret & " days.") Call CheckError End If End If Next End Sub '==================== Function DaysOld(sFileName) Dim objFile On Error Resume Next Set objFile = objFSO.GetFile(sFileName) Call CheckError ' Return the difference in days. DaysOld = Int(Now() - objFile.DateLastAccessed) End Function '==================== ' Extract argument value from command line, processing any option flags. Function NextArgument Dim arg Do ' Loop to pull in option flags until an argument value is found. If iArg >=argCount Then Exit Function arg = WScript.Arguments(iArg) iArg = iArg + 1 If (AscW(arg) <> AscW("/")) And (AscW(arg) <> AscW("-")) Then Exit Do Select Case UCase(Right(arg, Len(arg) -1)) Case Else If UCase(Mid(arg, 2, 2)) = "L:" Then LogFile = Mid(arg,4) Else Call Fail("Invalid option flag: " & arg) End If End Select Loop NextArgument = arg End Function '==================== Sub ShowUsage WScript.Echo "CScript " & WScript.ScriptName & " " & vbCrLf & _ vbTab & vbTab & vbTab & vbTab & vbTab & " [/L:logfile]" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & _ " rootfolder" & vbTab & "Specifies the directory to start searching in." & vbCrLf & _ " AccessedX" & vbTab & "Specifies how many days since it has been accessed." & vbCrLf & _ " /L:logfile" & vbTab & vbTab & "Specifies a file to output the results to." & _ " /?" & vbTab & vbTab & "Displays this message." WScript.Quit 1 End Sub '==================== Sub CheckError() Dim msg If Err.Number = 0 Then Exit Sub msg = Err.Source & " " & Hex(Err) & ": " & Err.Description Call Fail(msg) End Sub '==================== Sub LogEvent(sMessage) If IsObject(objLogFile) Then objLogFile.WriteLine(sMessage) End Sub '==================== Sub LogToEventLog(sMessage, nValue) If bEventLog Then objWSH.LogEvent nValue, WScript.ScriptName & ": " & sMessage End Sub '==================== Sub Fail(sMessage) If bEventLog Then LogToEventLog sMessage, EVENT_ERROR If IsObject(objLogFile) Then objLogFile.WriteLine(WScript.ScriptName & ": " & sMessage) objLogFile.Close End If WScript.Echo WScript.ScriptName & ": " & sMessage WScript.Quit(1) End Sub
-
@cybernerd: What are you using for this and will it run on a windows box??
-
Hi All, I have decided that I need to do a big cleanup of our storage areas and want to do the following: 1 - Search out and identify and file that has not been "Accessed" in 12 months or over. 2 - Move this file to another location ready for archiving onto DVD. Does anyone know of a script or program that can do this?
-
Although i can fully apreciate the original posters thoughts on ads and I will be the first to admit that I hate them however.... I am sure that you will all agree that this is a truely awesome resource and it has brought together communities from all over in an effort to provide a service that over the past couple of years has grown from strength to strength. There are indeed plenty of other websites that offer the same resources as this site with one main difference, you have to pay for the others and NOT by a small amount either. I am not sure how much revenue is generated from these ads and to be honest I have no need to know I am just happy that the guys are trying to find ways to keep this resource free for all to use and yes I am a supporter and yes I choose to donate as I have done on a regular basis but thats not the point, these are just ads, block them if you want, ignore them if you want, hell click on them all its your choice the alternative is to make it a pay only site or a most things edugeek goes the same way as the dodo and thats not what we want is it???? just my thoughts
-
Hi All, I want to setup a number of printers so that nagios does only 2 things: 1 - Checks the printer is online - Simple ping, I can do this 2 - Only warns when toner is low - Email is good I have the following printers: Brother 6050DN has snmp HP 1020/3500/3700/3900 has snmp Has anyone setup something like this?? Can you provide any pointers??
-
Currently this is correct as we are able to prove that applications from the UK are indeed educational. We are looking into ways to provide the same facilities to educational establishments abroad as we do in the UK @amfony: I have sent you a PM re Lan Messenger
-
Just to clarify: Our aim is to provide schools, colleges, and uni's with the best software we can without fleeceing them just becouse "it's education" so to that end we provide the software to you for free initially. The software itself is very full featured, stable, and is in use by a large number of schools up and down the UK as well as abroad and if you choose to continue to use it there is no cost to you. We do charge non educational customers as this generates a revenue stream to allow us to continue development, provide support, and run our kit (dedicated servers for the hosted service), if however you decide that you would like to upgrade to the latest version great, but it will cost you and that would be 50% of whatever our current base price is, so at the moment that would be £60. This £60 would give 12 months of support and upgrades, new versions are currently released every 8 weeks approx, and includes a price promise that even if our base cost increases your annual support and upgrades renewal will not. I hope that this makes things alittle clearer but if not give me a PM or email me
-
We have email from nagios YEY! Many thanks guys.
- 15 replies
-
- monitoring
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Spot on Geoff: We now have mail from the command line Will now go and trip up nagios to see if mail comes from there also, I may return......
- 15 replies
-
- monitoring
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
checked it and it's empty, nothing, nada, zilch..........
- 15 replies
-
- monitoring
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
OK did it agin and got: this then returned me back to the command prompt and as yet no email
- 15 replies
-
- monitoring
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Ok from the command line i did the following: then it just sits there doing nothing until I escape out, so it would look like email is not setup correctly on the box. Any ideas anyone??
- 15 replies
-
- monitoring
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
you are more than welocme to try My Little Helpdesk for free -> Helpdesk Software, Service Desk, Web, Mobile ITIL and FITS based support. - Edu Application It does all that you have listed and then some PM Me if you need anymore help or info
-
hmm good point have not tried that, don't have remote server access to this server so i'lltryit in the morning.... To be continued
- 15 replies
-
- monitoring
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Hi All, I have done a clean vanilla LAMP install (Ubuntu 7.10 Server) and then install Nagios 3.03 with the plugins. Now all is working fine aprt from emails are not getting sent. This is what I have done; Change the email address in contacts.cfg to mine install mailx as per nagios instructions changed email config in commands.cfg to show /usr/bin/mail and not /bin/mail Now when I bring a host down I get no email, I have always used nagios without email notification, more of a visual thing but Iwould like to get this sorted now. Any ideas of what I need to look for??
- 15 replies
-
- monitoring
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Yep GSM7224 and 7248's one ofthe switches (a really bad one) is registering around 30db and this is sitting in a cab in a classroom hence why I want to get them changed. Don't get me wrong I have around 30 of these and for the cost and what they do they are great switches and 90% are relatively quiet but the remainder 10% well
-
Have just gone for these: Mini-Kaze, 40 x 10mm Quiet Cooling Fan @stratisphere: I need to replace the fans as these are beyond all hope, good tip though
-
@Matt40K: If schools are like those in my LEA the yes they do have Cisco's provided by the LEA to act as perimiter switches to the LEA network but the schools do not have control of these. @DaveSmith: I would say yes as this will provide all the routing and possibly DHCP you want it to be as central as possible but then this does depend on the size of your network. Best practices dictate that it SHOULD be the core with all else coming of it.
