Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ICTNUT

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    1,433
  • Joined

Everything posted by ICTNUT

  1. @DaveSmith: You would still need a Layer 3 switch/router in order to route the traffice between the VLANs
  2. Hi All, I have a couple of Netgear switches that have noisey fans and would like to replace them does anyone have any recommendations of some decent near silent running fans to use as replacements?
  3. Doing them now
  4. This free desktop tool captures and analyzes NetFlow data in real time to show you exactly what types of traffic are on your network, where that traffic is coming from, and where it is going. Put an end to complaints about the network being slow! With Real-time NetFlow Analyzer, you can: * Investigate, troubleshoot, and quickly remediate network slowdowns * Easily identify which users, devices, and applications are consuming the most bandwidth * Isolate inbound and outbound traffic by conversation, application, domain, endpoint, and protocol * Personalize NetFlow data displays to view traffic by specified time periods and by traffic type * Customize refresh rates and display units for NetFlow traffic * Included in your download is NetFlow Configurator – another Free tool to help you remotely configure NetFlow v5 via SNMP on supported Cisco® devices so you can be up and running in minutes. Register for Real-time NetFlow Analyzer Enjoy!
  5. I have just split our network into 6 VLANS comprising of 42 L2 Switches and 2 L3 Routing Switches. I would spend a little time planning your VLAN setup and try to anticipate some growth and build that in also. To implament VLANS you would need to consider the following: DHCP Scope assignment for each VLAN (i.e. number of hosts required - think about growth here) Number of VLANs required Hardware - Are all switches VLAN capable at least the core ones Routing - Have you a Layer 3 router or switch that can handle the amount of routing requests. Routing Switches are better as they route at processor level wgile routers tend to be at software level Depending on the size of your network it could take time to implement, it has taken me 4 weeks to get it setup and I am still making cinfig changes as some bits have been missed not to mention the 4 months of planning before that. Make sure you have a good network map so you know where everything is and what need to be in which VLAN Your Core switch (Netgear L3) will need to uplink to your other switches (uplinks are generally untagged on the native vlan, normally vlan 1, and tagged on all other valns) this means that your uplink switches will have to be at least a managed layer 2 switch with 802.1q (VLAN) ability. The uplinked switches would also have the uplink port tagged in the same way as the port on the main switch. The rule is if you are linking to anything other then a switch the port is assigned to the apropriate VLAN otherwise they are uplinks and are trunked/tagged depending on the type of switch you use.
  6. I can confirm that I have done the August Upgrade this morning and "touch wood" all seems to be OK. I was told that we had to have this for our A Level results as the Exams Organiser had to be upgraded otherwise we would not be able to do the analysis. What did make me laugh was once the upgrade was completed the Exams organiser version number was: Wait for it...... v6.66 Is this a good or bad Omen (cue music)
  7. MLH Live Alert is the Email polling and SLA portion of the helpdesk. The reason it was split into 2 distinct versions is that there are people who do not require these and as a result will lower the cost for them. Schools get the enterprise version when they apply for the helpdesk. MLH Live Alert is currently with the BETA testers in order to iron out some kinks and should go on release within the next week or so. I did want the helpdesk and MLH LIve Alert to be released together but I did not want to put back the release date of the helpdesk so I decided torelease the helpdeks and follow up with Live Alert later.
  8. Hi All, After the release of the new version of the helpdesk on the 1st August I have now released MLH WinApp, Helpdesk Desktop Alert Tool. Its a free windows application that will sit in your system try and monitor the helpdesk and provide MSN style tray alerts when a new request is logged and if one of your requests, that you have been dealing with, has been updated. By Simply clicking on the alert you will be taken directly to the request for you to do with as you wish. You can find out more here: Helpdesk Software, Service Desk, Web, Mobile ITIL and FITS based support. - WinApp You do not need to be on the latest version of the helpdesk to use this tool but you do have to be on a minimum of version 0.9.6b It's free to use and you can install it onto as many pc's as you wish. Enjoy and thanks for the support
  9. Yes please let me know, I have just had a call from out LA SIMS team saying that unless we do this upgrade we will not be able to view the exam results They want to come in and do the upgrade for me a 7:30 am tomorrow as it requires "tweaks" :eek: Erm !
  10. "We feel that Dos_Box failed to understand the concept of Online Horse Racing"
  11. Dos_Box takes edugeek branding to the extreme: First there was the Edugeek Bag - The Manual Storage Device Then there was the Edugeek Pen - The Manual Input Device Then came the Edugeek Horse - The Trojan Removal Device with free Horse_Box
  12. "You want me to do what? You've got to be kidding!!"
  13. I have not got it running at work yet But I have it monitoring the SQL 2005 Servers I have and it is working nice, need to play with it some more though
  14. Monitor activity on your server for FREE! Monitor server wait categories Monitor IO activity Check your current Cache Hits ratio Analyze your I/O system performance Get details about active processes Display locks and deadlocks This tool is agent-less (without a server component, nothing is installed on a server) and FREE. SQL Heartbeat Enjoy !
  15. I could not agree more Enjoy your day mate I know I did
  16. I have 3 invites left PM me if you want one and yes you guessed it i'm ICTNUT on there too
  17. Fire away my friend, fire away
  18. @RussDev: Yes you can do a foundation degree the distance way, Lancaster Uni offer a three year course with only 1 day per month on site, this consists of 5 modules each lasting around 6 - 7 months and costing around £650 - £750 per module. Check it out: ICT Focus - Home
  19. My Understanding is that IPv6 is supported and used at ISP / telco level already alongside IPv4 but I can see no business case for going over to IPv6 in education not unless you get complete hardware support for it, this includes your LEA as I can bet if your LEA is anything like mine they could not support it anyways. Not to mention the complete nightmare it would be to implement across the whole site. The most common thing I can see happening is people will continue to use IPv4 within the company network and simly NAT behind an IPv6 IP using a router/switch/appliance that can handle it. I don't see a broad takeup of IPv6 for at least 20 possibly 30 years at least not at our level.
  20. This sounds good, where are you planning on doing this, which Uni?
  21. I would agree don't touch the county firewall as it will come abck and bite you. Remote SSL VPN is good as it uses just a web browser and port 80 & 443 these will already be open on the county firewall. Tak a look at the SonicWall SSL VPN 2000, this is what I use here, AD intergration, 2 factor Authentication builtin, and you can setup portals depending on the users AD group making access very granular. My suppliers are happy to give out demo units, if you want thier details PM me
  22. The firewall that you do not have access to is this at your site? To be honest you could put your own firewall in but this would sit after the firewall that is supplied via the LEA and if there are rules in place to restrict access no amount of playing with your firewall will allow you access.
  23. Hi All, Having mostly only ever put in one router or L3 routing switch I was wondering about having 2 L3 routing switches in the same LAN (6 VLANS) in order to provide redundancy in case one fails. I am using HP 2824's is there anything special I should do before enabling routing on the second switch or will it "just work". Both the switches are linked via a 2Gb copper backbone as well as other multi redundant links through other switches. Are we now looking at using route advertisment? RIPv1, v2, OSPF, etc. Is there any real need to do this or am i just going over kill <- there is always a chance of this
  24. AndyRite had it spot on, the HP switches I am using allow you to setup ACLs on the VLANs themselves in order to control the flow of traffic. I simply added an ACL to deny 3389/TCP to anydestination apart from the terminal server. Tested both VLAn 2 and 3 and it works. One happy bunny here
×
×
  • Create New...