-
Posts
1,433 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ICTNUT
-
Hi All, I have 5 Ubuntu 8.10 VMs running with all being installed the same way (LAMP). I have managed to get 2 of the installed with PHP5_LDAP by using apt-get install but the other 3 just return E: Couldn't find package php5_ldap ??? I have edited the sources list to enable multiverse and universe then did and apt-get update && apt-get upgrade but still no joy ! What am i missing here?
-
Went back to basics and accessed ftp via the windows command line and it worked. Upon further investigation Macromedia Dreamweaver is where the problem lies as it tries to CD you into a directory that does not exisit. Have installed a basic freebie FTP tool onto the workstations and bingo all springs to life
-
It's easy really, well depending on your choice of connection fibre ot iSCSI. I opted for iSCSI and my 10Tb SAN has 4 NICs on it as I have a dual controller configuration (REALLY RECOMMENDED) so this mean that Ihave redundant network links running on a 192.168.x.x subnet and then there are 2 others, these act like a lifeline or heartbeat if you will and connect directly to the blade chassis and run on a 10.0.x.x subnet. As DMcoy said above you really want your own VLAN for this, Ihave iSCSI HBAs and the NICs I have all have ToE so that does help. The first 2 allow for network connectivity in the normal way but the second 2 allow for VMWare to utilise them for VMFS and, if like me, you utilise the SAN for VM image storage also this provided a dedicated route to these internally. Now your SAN drives are worth thinking about with my setup being as follows: 6 x 300Gb SAS Dual Connect drives 6 x 750Gb SATA Dual Connect drives Each drive having 2 fiber connections one to each controller so if a controller fails or even better one of the drive connections the whole thing will still function. Hope this helps abit
- 14 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- blades
- hewlett packard
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
As an update to my post above and in terms of failover: We have only half filled our chasiss with blades (4), we have all 6 fans and 4 of 6 PSU's. The PSU back into 2 APC 3000 UPS towers on a split load basis, 2 PSU's intoone APC and 2 into the other. The UPS's are then plugged into 2 seperate circuits soif one cirsuit fails the whole lot does not go down. The blades are double'd up on everything for failover, CPU's, HDD (SAS DualConnect) NICS (Teamed) We have 2 Interconnects (L2/3 Switches in the chassis) setup for failover Active/Passive and 2 iLO modules again Active/Passive. If youhave HA in VMWare then if a blade does fail it is a matter of moments and the VMs on that blade are restarting on another in that cluster, if you also add DRS and VMotion the change happens in milliseconds and the VM don't even go down this is due to triggers that can be set on resources of a blade and even services within a VM. Although I can apreciate that most schools will only use 30% of what VMWare can do but if you spend a small amount of time looking into the many whitepapers the VMWare have on disaster solutions you will be amazed at what this stuff can really do. I have spent at least 2 months setting up the failover and testing (actually pulling a blade during normal operation) to make sure it all works
- 14 replies
-
- blades
- hewlett packard
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Seems to work ok. I am able to su the student account and when I do a PWD I am in the directory in question: /home/JKHS-PD/studentname
-
BUMP Anyone got any ideas, i cannot see anything wrong with this....
-
As an update: This is what I have in the Auth.log File for the user in questions: So the FTP -> winbind seems to be working ok so it must be a directory permssions issue, I have even given 777 access on the users folder but I am still getting acess denied. going to see if I can gleen something from the ftp logs. BRB
-
I have changed the permissions on a test student folder to 755 to see if that is the case. I will test it shortly and let you know
-
Hi All, I have followed this very excellent guide: FTP and Web server [bishop Barrington IT Wiki] in order to create an ftp / webserver for the students but I have run into problems... Winbind is working fine and the server has been joined to the domain sucessfully, with the students home directories being created also. If i try to access FTP using ANY username and password (students ot staff) I get access denied. Any idea what I need to be looking for? Permissions on the student home folders are as follows: drw-rw-r-- 2 [studentname] domain users I am running Ubuntu 8.10 fully updated.
-
For us we spent the best part of £30k, but these are the main reasons: Power Consumption drop by at leat 50% Heat output drops byat least 50% Being able to run 16+ servers on only 3 physical blades Furture proofing as we only have half our chasis filled Future proofing as our storage setup is only one shelf but we can goto 4 shelves providing 96Tb of data storage !!! all of our servers where out of warranty and needed replacing Short term big £££ layout medium to long term loads of £££ savings reduced maintenance reduced downtime
-
Hi John, Just done it. Please bear with me it's late and I am about to brain dump....... ;-) Heres the setup: 1 x c3000 chasis 4 bl460 blades with 10Gb Ram and 2 quad core xeons and 2 x 73gb sas 1 x msa 2012i array with 9.3TB of un-carved space utilising iSCSI The array was split into 6 x SAS (300Gb) providing 1.5Tb in RAID 5 for the VMs and 6 x SATA (700GB) providing 4 volumes each a 1Tb. The MSA will now present 2 LUNs one with 1 volume and 1 with 4 volumes. 3 blades have VMWare ESX (v3.5.0) server installed and 1 has Server 2003 Enterprise with VMWare Virtual Center installed. We have VMWare VMotion, DRS, and Consolidated Backup. The whole process to get the blades up and running took about 2 days and that was from unpacking the kit to pushing out the OS's via HP's Rapid Deployment Kit, Windows Server 2003 installed and running on one blade 26mins. We have 7 VMs running in the following: - Domain Controller (2nd) - 100Gb Storage - Server 2003 Server as front end for storage portion of the SAN - 100Gb Storage (C:) - 4Tb (D:\, E:,\ F:,\ G:\) - Ubuntu Web Server (VLE) - 250Gb Storage - Ubuntu Web Server (Student Server) - 100Gb Storage - Windows Web Server (Windows WebApps) - 100Gb Storage - Windows Applications Server (Non Web Apps) - 100Gb Storage - Ubuntu Web Server (Training VLE) - 100Gb Storage - Ubuntu Web Servver (Testing VLE) - 100Gb Storage Physical servers retained: - HP Server (Exchange) - HP Server (SIMS) - Dell Server (Domain Controller) Servers Decommissioned: 15 I will look at possibly switching SIMS over to VM as we have enough power to do so but this would be over the next 12 months. What to look out for: REALLY, REALLY plan you VM setup and how you are going to deply your blade setup as this can make the whole process come to a stand still, also get your suppliers to talk to you on a regular basis, I was in contact with ours every other day with updates and timeframes. So far the system is great, the HP insight control software is superb with perfomance management, alerts and monitoring, bandwidth control, oh and the switches in the blade chasis are layer2/3 so you can do internal VLAN'ing to seperate of the MSA traffic to the blades mimicking a fibre setup Make sure that you allocate a block of 20 -30 IP addresses for this and yes you will need them considering each blade needs at least 5 ! (Server Nics x 2, iLo, Interconnects, Remote Management, Chasis OA, Switch Remote Access, 4 for the MSA (2 on a 10.x.x.x range) and so on....) Total Planning Time: 5 months Total Implementation Time: 1 Week including data migration and VM setup Shout me if you need anymore info would be happy to provide any help
- 14 replies
-
- 4
-
-
- blades
- hewlett packard
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Go Get it Register for SolarWinds VM Monitor
-
Why dont you use the client notification tool? Does not need installing on each pc either as I have it running from a share with a shortcut in the startup folder so when the user logs on the client tool auto start and sits in the task bar as a tray icon. When the reach thier limit or close to it bingo up pops the message. Easy !
-
I plan on being there for the four days and possibly the lead up as well Bring on the eduSlave Private Joke !!!
-
When you select DHCP to assign an ip address do you get one from the router? If you do what is the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and are there any DNS servers set? If you do get an IP then can you ping google? If you can can you access google via the web?
-
I will assume that when you add the new nic that the drivers went on OK? If the PC is not seeing the NIC then there is a hardware issue here that needs sorting, I see you did a system restore, you mabye faced with a complete vanilla (clean) rebuild
-
I would check the local "hosts" file on the PC just incase there is something funny going on in there. You can find it in : C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc Sometimes things can get added in here that makes ping do funny things.
-
A true and and to the point speech! Well said that man
-
This is exactly the reason why I am having to charge, in all honesty I have dropped the number of days that I do my day job in order to keep this running and provide the high level of support you all do and should expect. We are constantly trying to push things forward and most (80%) of the features that have made it into the helpdesk have come directly from schools using the software and this forum and this is something that I do not want to change. I do not know of any other software at this price where you can have so much input in shaping the development and path that the software will take. Don't forget that we have other software that is still free to schools.
-
Hi All, Just a quick update; Unfortunately the helpdesk is no longer free due to increased costs and having to support over 250+ schools using the helpdesk. Pricing can now be found here ( OP Software - Educational Pricing ) and we believe that it is still the best you can get anywhere as I apreciate that you guys do not have a great deal of money out there. We are still dedicated to giving you the level of support you have always expected from us and as usual we will help in anyway we can. I am sorry I am having to do this and I tried to hold off as long as I could and 18 months is pretty good.
-
Are these popups running? I visit the site at least once a day and get nothing I am using a combination of FF3, IE7, IE8 Beta, and Opera on Windows XP SP3 I have no add blockers nor any popup blockers and edugeek.net is set as a trusted site too Any ideas......?
-
VMWare Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
ICTNUT replied to kooperthedog's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
I would be intrested in testing the VDI stuff you have inorder to get a proof of concept. -
@bigtime5001: Yes I am still producing My Little Helpdesk. We have had a big server move this weekend and email is a little sluggish but it is now starting to filter through. I have got your email and will action it later today for you. Same for anyone else who has requested the helpdesk since Thursday last week I will action these later today / tomorrow.
