Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

_Bat_

Members
  • Posts

    1,352
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by _Bat_

  1. K, got it working. Do they -ever- sleep? I was watching it late at night on saturday night I think and they were just as lively.
  2. At work I get: "Unable to locate server. This server does not have a DNS entry". Not sure if this is a temporary problem. The school should probably be made aware of all these problems. I for one would not have chosen to stream it via real player. If I can get it working, I am going to show it to my ICT coordinator who in turn will probably show it to her class. I'll suggest that we do something like this if we get chance.
  3. I wanted to put these in the staff room too, but thought i'd get into trouble.
  4. Thanks, I dunno why i've never come across that before. Can't download it on this PC for certain reasons which shall remain nameless, but i'll be sure to give it a go at work
  5. Is this an XP Pro only feature? I don't have that, I was wondering why I'd never seen it before. Normally I'd resize pictures using an image editor like The GIMP, but when I've been given scores of photos it becomes tedious . I managed to get the website up and running in four hours though... by far beats the >100 hours I had to use for the school website.
  6. Whats really odd is that I knew about both of those pieces of software, but I didn't realise IrfanView has facilities for batch resize (I had a very quick browse though the program but couldn't see anything) and I didn't think about imagemagick at all . I'll bear in mind for future reference though Thanks
  7. How many people do actually enjoy their job though? I don't think there are many. I personally love my job, but I am the only person in my family that does. Everyone else hates going into work each day. I consider myself extremely lucky to have found a job I like, especially so soon after leaving college.
  8. K, for anyone interested, I found one. Its found here: http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize I needed it to resize my sisters wedding photos so they would be suitable to put on a website and it did the job very well.
  9. Never come across software that does this before, but need it now Is there any software were I can specify a width of the image for instance and it resizes all the images keeping the ratio with the height? Thanks James
  10. The only issue I might have with working in educational IT long term is the pay. Obviously once I get married (not for a while yet) I'll need to either get an IT job higher up on the pay scale in a school or go straight into industry, where hopefully it'll be easier to get a higher paid job. What I said in my last post about not working in industry isn't quite true, i've worked there for a bit, but not in IT. I don't think i'd enjoy working in industral IT as much, but that remains to be seen I guess.
  11. Thats another bit I like. I have a network manager (that isn't his job title, but in effect that is what he does), but rarely see him (I would guess I meet him for about half an hour every two weeks at the moment and a little bit more during the holidays if there is any major work to be done). I can call him if anything goes majorly wrong, but other then that, I work by myself. My network manager spends much more time at the other schools he works for because they don't have any other support apart from himself, which is very understandable.
  12. I have never worked in industry, so I can't compare. Being on call weekends and evenings is not something that would really bother me though, unless my family got annoyed with it. I work in a school because it's great experience for a junior tech. But other then that, I love the environment I work in. I love working with all the staff and I even love working with the kids. I get on really well with all of them. Industry and organisations other then education is definately something I will look at in the distant future, but there are other things I need to work on in the mean time.
  13. I am using firefox and it works fine for me. It pops up a security message, but it works.
  14. _Bat_

    Acer PC`s

    I agree with the bad tech support. I made a thread about them being rude on the phone a few weeks back, but since then I haven't been able to do anything because they won't reply to my e-mails. They want me to send the computers back to base for repair, but I only have one repair number, when I should have two. No-one seems to be willing to give me the second one. After reading this thread, i'm tempted to just repair them myself for a cost of about £40 (replacing two broken sata HDDs which cost about £20 each). I just don't think the hassle is worth it, it'd be much quicker and easier doing it myself. Besides, will they tell me the warranty is void for opening the case up and breaking the lil warranty sticker? If so, i'm doomed anyway because i've already done that several times.
  15. You guys spent all of friday evening trying to think of things to go in here didn't you?
  16. That is superb! I will suggest ideas like that to my primary schools, the kids would LOVE it.
  17. I don't think the teachers will remember how many people were absent that day, I know I wouldn't. My uncle works for the fire service so i'll query him about it. I guess I could also contact the LEA.
  18. I can just see it now, written on the tomb stone of our secretary: "Here lies 'Mrs Hopcraft', school secretary of The Oval Primary School, who died from smoke inhalation while trying to get the printer working during a school fire"
  19. Do most people allow teachers access to all pupil data then? If so, i'll just keep it that way and explain that it does have its advantages.
  20. Okay, have completed phase of staff training and a question came up which I couldn't answer... neither could the ICT coordinator or secratary. What happens during both fire drills and real fires? With ePortal there is obviously no paper work involved, so how do you check all the little darlings are there when you are standing outside? How does everyone else do this? Thanks
  21. Sorry to bring up an old thread again, but we are -finally- getting this put into some use in school. We were waiting for a new server which has now arrived and been set up. I am hoping to do staff training on EPortal today and have them using it by Monday, but it seems that teachers not only have access to their own class via EPortal, they can also access everyone elses. This is not something I am keen on and i'm sure there is somewhere in the many security options to change it, but there are so many options available that I don't really want to fiddle (seeing as this has to be working by midday). Does anyone know which option I need to change which will disallow access to student records from other classes? Thanks
  22. Fair point. Ideally it SHOULD be supervised at all times, and in most cases, it is. The pupils only access the internet either during class when there is obviously a teacher present or during a lunch time club, which the deputy head supervises (there is also an after school club which is also supervised). I have only ever seen the pupils access the internet without a supervisor once, and that should never have happened - it was during lunch time and they should not have been where they were. @Grumbledook The signature was just something management wanted
  23. Haha, if I knew what it was, i'd vote. I have never been in charge of the budget. Generally this is how it works for me: - Either the ICT co-ordinator or myself think of or see something which we think the school could benefit from - We ask head teacher if we can have said well thought out product - If the head says no, I would probably appeal in the form of whinging and whining, but usually the head thinks our ideas are very good - If the head says yes (either immediately or eventually), we ask the secretary if we can afford said product and she usually gets back to us within a day or two I personally have no idea how much of our budget is set aside for ICT, I would say if anyone was in charge of it, it is the secretary.
  24. Okay, all the "should not"s have been replaced with "must not"s. Thanks for your advice
  25. I was told by management that the AUP I typed up contained too much technical language, so before I run the new version by her again, I thought i'd ask here to see if anyone spots anything I can explain in an easier fashion. Let me know what you think. This is going out to all staff and parents. Thanks
×
×
  • Create New...