Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Jon

Members
  • Posts

    374
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Jon

  1. Jon

    Sysprep help needed

    You should not have to reimage the source machine. a:- Get it exactly as you want it to be. b:- Run sysprep on it. c:- Shut it down. d:- Take your image from it. e:- Restart it and it will run the minisetup wizard ( if this is the option you selected) and all should be good to go. This should have no impact on your network
  2. Jon

    Sysprep help needed

    As far as I am aware the version of sysprep found on the win2k3 cd (sysprep ver2) will work with both xp and win 2k.
  3. Jon

    Sysprep help needed

    you would probably find it quicker and easier it to run "setupmgr" (found in the sysprep directory extracted from the win2k3 CD) This will create a brand new .inf file for you...with all of the settings as you want them.
  4. You can do this quite easily with group policy.. Computer Configuration - Security Settings - File System. Add the file of folder you want to set security on.
  5. I would start by checking ALL of your DNS settings are correct.
  6. Jon

    Strange Excel Problem

    Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I won't be back in the school untill Monday, I will let you know how I get on
  7. Hi ZeroHour, Many thanks for this...I have just followed your instructions and succesfully created a tansform for Avtiv Primary 3. The only thing I can see so far to improve would be to change the path for Shared Flipcharts as this is defaulting to "ALL users\shared Documents" If you no I can alter this in the transform that would be great... Thanks again.
  8. Jon

    Strange Excel Problem

    Thanks cadjs Clicklock would indeed have this effect...But it would also release when the mouse was clicked again :? The only way i can do anything is to move the pointer outside of the excel window, I can then right click on the taskbar and close excel
  9. Jon

    Strange Excel Problem

    The machine this is happening on is the secretarys Laptop. The version of excel is office xp (2002). There is no problem with the sticky keys feature or keys being jammed down. I have disabled the touch pad and connected an external mouse but the problem is still there. No other programme or feature seems to be affected. 8O I think I will reinstall excel and see if the cures to problem
  10. Jon

    Strange Excel Problem

    Thanks for the quick answers thats great. The problem is not with the shift keys or sticky keys i'm afraid. This was my first guess but all is OK. After I have clicked into a cell I then can't do anything else in that sheet. No menus can be selected or close windows buttons either. The only way out is to close excel from the taskbar.,
  11. Hi All, Just came across a strange problem with excel. If I open any worksheet and click to select a cell I then can't deselect it! If I move the mouse around it is as if I am holding down the mouse button and simply selects any cells i drag over. The only way out is to right click on the task bar button and close the worksheet altogether. Anybody had this problem or know what might be causing it? Thanks in advance.
  12. The alternative would have been to tell them "Near Instantaneous Companded Audio Multiplex" 8O 8O Makes much more sense I think!
  13. You must be carefull when using delprof if your users also use Outlook Express. By default the OE store folder is located in the local settings of users profiles, if you delete this you also delete all thier email.
  14. Jon

    Winsuite...

    .... you're from Norfolk so you probably are all related!!!! <----------- (ducks and runs) Yes but we can type that much quicker with 6 fingers on each hand
  15. Jon

    Winsuite...

    Hi to all the Norfolk Techs...We are not really all related are we? This winsuite and Elonex hardware thing does seem to be a Norfolk Issue... Are you people employed by your schools directly or are you LEA (ICT Solutions) techs.
  16. Jon

    Winsuite...

    Does anybody have any experience of the awful winsuite desktop control software. If so have you experienced the problem were by destops that are controlled bt Screen manger refuse to load on client machine? I have a school that uses this dreadful programme and certain machine display this problem sometimes a uninsatll and reinstall of winsuite on the client will cure it ... Sometimes not. Any help greatly appreciated.
  17. Jon

    DC Confusion

    In an Active Directory domain all domain controllers are equal...However some are more equal than others. The first DC in a domain will take on the roll of Global Catalog server. If you don't have a global Catalog server available you cannot log on...
  18. Thanks srochford, This has worked.. Regards, Jon.
  19. Here is my problem. The hard disc on my laptop has given up the ghost. I was using outlook 2003 for my email. :oops: I had several different email accounts setup within outlook. :? Before the HD gave up completely I managed to get a backup of the entire documents and settings folder. I have succesfully restored my outlook .pst file but, and here is the problem, I cannot find where the settings are for all my email accounts. :oops: Does anybody know if it is possible for me to extract this info somehow from the backup of the docs and settings folder I have. Thanks in advance...
  20. Thanks For the quick responses. Problem Solved...
  21. Hi All, Does anybody know a way I can change the regional settings of all my users and computers to UK. It appears that when the machines were originally set up the defaul setting was us so now all my users are getting " instead of @ and no £ sign Etc. Any Help greatly appreciated...
  22. Famous last words for Simon j/k :twisted: I should perhaps have added the bit about making a backup first... But we all do that anyway don't we?... 8O
  23. Hi Simon, Yes simple to implement, yes safe to do. I have myself used this method on several servers. Right click MY Computer, Select Disk Managment, Right click disc 0 (your existing c and d drives) and convert to dynamic. Fit the new disc into the server. go back to disk managment and it will detect the new disc and ask what you would like to with it. set it as a dynamic disk. right click the d volume and select extend this volume. Job Done. Please excuse these instructions, this is not a task that i carry out everyday and cant remember the exact wording of the commands, but you will be able to work it out with the machine in front of you... Good luck.
  24. Personally I would make both the discs dynamic, and then simple mount the new disc as an extended partition or spanned volume from the existing d drive. This would negate having to change any drive letters and would simply appear to make the d drive bigger..
  25. Is there a group policy setting to disable the Auto discovery of printers and shares in XP? It seems to me like there should be but I have been unable to find it. :?
×
×
  • Create New...