-
Posts
374 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jon
-
I have just installed a Hyper-v server. At the moment I have two VMs running on it, one Windows 2K3 DC and a 2k3 server for SIMS which we are having installed sometime soon. What I am now thinking is that this is now a good opportuinity to get some sort of Linux experience, so, I would like to install a *nix server to use as a webServer. I am however a complete linux newbie... With this in mine, what would people reccomend as the best distro for me to use, I would like to run Apache, MySQL, PHP. And have an easy to navigate GUI. Any advice much appreciated.
-
That's fine, as long as we get some Morris Dancers on ths St. Davids Day Logo:wink:
-
That dragon looks a little bit Welsh to me...
-
Here is the site I have put together for my football club. Gorleston Rangers FC It is very basic, I have created it myself from scratch. It does have a PHPBB3 forum section ( The Gorleston Rangers Forum • Index page ), and on all the teams pages there is a feed with that teams fixtures and league position which comes straight from the leagues web site. Have a look and let me know what you think.
-
I have installed this on my kids computers, K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filtering and Parental Controls Software It seems do to the job, and also logs all thier online activity, They don't like it, I think its great...
-
I work mostly in primary schools, the ONLY advantage I can see of using the dreaded winsuite is that the pupils can click there name from a list to log on rather than having to type in thier username, which the younger ones would struggle with. Other than that i think it sucks, you can get much better desktop security with GP and redirected desktops.
-
Smart supply an install manager for smart notebook 10. I have used it in several of the schools I attend with no issues. It, along with documentation and other files, can be obtained from the Smart website, which can be found here. SMART - Admin tools,SMART Notebook (Windows) Hope this helps...
-
Ahhh thanks guys I feel all warm inside now... Or is that just indigestion brought on by old age...
-
Hi All, I have just taken over a new network and need to quickly get a handle on who has permission and at what level to the network shares. Is there a way either within active directory, or third party software, that I can easily generate and export a list of all security groups and their memberships, and also what ntfs permissions and share permissions are applied to all of my shared folders. The more free the solution to this is the better.
-
You will/should also get some paid leave, it is a legal requirment. My contract is term time +1, so i work for 40 weeks a year, I am entilteld also to 25 paid days leave a year and also paid bank holidays my salary is therfore pro-rated to take all of this into account and paid over 12 months.
-
No you won't, What you may get is the best of the people that are prepaired to work for a low wage. This is not the same thing as getting the best...
-
Hmmm, Still not sure yet. I have a budget of around £300. I already have an xbox with XBMC set up and running. What I really want to acheive is to be able to record freeview and freesat in HD. Stream mp3 and divx etc from a storage area (I already do this with the xbox). Also want to connect to a 37" LCD with either VGA or HDMI. Fit a blue-ray / HDDVD player...and run maybe vista ultimate(I already have a licence for this). Also want all of this to fit in as small and quite a case as possible. Is all this possible for sub £300?
-
Thanks to everybody who replied, its great to know what you are using
-
I am considering building a media centre PC. Just interested in any ideas or recommendations as to what components I should go for. Cost is everything...I am looking to do this as cheaply as possible..
-
[website] Can't find edugeek in google in 2001.....
Jon replied to mattx's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Thats Fantastic... A search for PH Emerson (an early photographer of the Norfolk Broads) brings up at first position a site I created years ago and had completly forgotton about. It is on the servers of my first ever ISP who have long since gone away. So not sure now who is hosting it or have any idea as to the FTP details and passwords. Anybody know how I could find this out? -
If the lions had not eaten fot three years they would be dead...This must be the safest room albeit a bit smelly...
-
This should explain all you need to know about global catalouge servers. What Is the Global Catalog?: Active Directory
-
Thanks Russdev, I do understand you are all busy.
-
I have this week posted in the Message The Admins forum but as of yet my thread does not appear to have been viewed. Does anybody know how often the Message The Admins forum is monitored?
-
Just put your xp machines into a security group and only grant read and apply policy to this group. No need to take machines out of the OU or create a new OU.
-
This article may explian it a bit better... WindowsDevCenter.com -- Ensuring DHCP Server Availability
-
At risk here of sounding boring but... Did you read the article on the 80/20 rule? http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/cnet/cncb_dhc_ogjw.mspx?mfr=true
-
Did you read the article on the 80/20 rule?
-
This article should explain all you need to know. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/cnet/cncb_dhc_ogjw.mspx?mfr=true
-
I would agree with all that kmount has said, except... Instead of giving your printer a static IP address I would strongly recommend setting up an IP reservation for it instead. I have found it much easier to manage this way, if you need to change IP address of printer you can do so easily. Also these printers do sometimes "forget" thier static IP address, if there is an ip reservation for it this will not happen.
