-
Posts
374 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jon
-
You need to be logged on as an administrator. You then nedd to use the "Winsuite Administrator" to set up your users desktops, shortcuts Etc.
-
This is done via "Winsuite Administrator"
-
The folders that have been created on your server D drive will in act be the users MY DOCUMENTS folders. When a user logs on they should receive a mapped H: drive (which should be mapped to this folder on your server), you should find this by going to My Computer when logged on as a user. Winsuite will also redirect the MY DOCUMENTS folder to this H: Drive. Depending on how your system is set up The My Pictures, My Music etc folders will be created the first time a user logs on.
-
If you press alt+w a logon box will appear for you to type in a username and password.
-
No there isn't... Welcome to the world of winsuite.
-
@ MSJunior On the server, Have the users home folders been created and shared? If you have used the "winsuite user import wizard" it should have created a seperate folder with a share for every user you imported. This will probaly be within a folder on your server called "home" (this however depends on how winsuite was initially setup) This folder will be named as the users username and shared by the same name with a $ on the end. so in the example I gave in an earlier post I would expect to see the following after import. d:\home\09\fbloggs - shared as fbloggs$ and d:\home\09\SClaus - shared as SClaus$
-
What version of Winsuite are you using? Have you used "Winsuite User import wizard" to setup your users? In Active Directory, on the profile tab of a users properties, is the radio button checked for Home Folder connect H: to \\server\username$ When a user logs on do they have an H: Drive ? If yes to all of these then winsuite should redirect MY DOCUMENTS to the H: Drive.
-
Or Vista clients
-
Yes you can copy a desktop. In Winsuite administrator click on the DESKTOP TAB, there is then an option on the toolbar to COPY GROUP. I avoid having to do this each year by arraing users in groups named YEAR 1, Year 2, etc. as described earlier. Hope this helps.
-
@ msjunior Do you know what version of winsuite you have installed? I look after a number of primary schools most of which are using winsuite ver3.5. At first Winsuite can be a bit of a pain to get your head around, but once you have it running its not so bad... The "Winsuite user import" is what I was referring to, I import all of my users using this tool, get your secretary to export a list of pupil names from the schools MIS system, this can be in CSV or XML, xls etc. I then use this to create a csv file with the information set out as follows Fred Bloggs,09fbloggs,09,pupil,password Santa Claus,09sclaus,09,pupil,password The fields are Full Name,username,group,description,initial password The 09 field indicates year of entry to the school, so last years intake have a 08 prefix etc. You can then point "winsuite user import" at this file, this will then import all your users into active directory, create a home folder for them, and set the approiate permissions. I would then, within active directory, add the users to a security group, so this years intake will be added to the "reception" security group, last years reception would be removed from this group and added to the YEAR 1 group etc. We then have, in winsuite administrator, a screen manager desktop set up for each year group,on the winsuite log on screen there are groups displayed for Staff, reception, Year 1, Year 2, etc. so fred bloggs as imported earlier would click on the reception group, click his name, and type in his password. The winsuite logon screen will eventually catch up with what you have in winsuite administrator but this can sometimes take a while to happen, you can force this to update by logging on to a client machine with your admin account this will force winsuite to update its local copy of the winsuite database and dsiplay the correct information.
-
The local copy of the winsuite database can take a while to update sometimes. To force it you simply logon to the local machine, with an admin account, open winsuite administrator, this will then update the local database and your groups will appear correctly. Did you you the "winsuite user import" tool to create your new users? If you have then this will normally also create and set permissions on your users home directory also.
-
That looks interesting, I will have to see if we can raise the $49. I have not been told how valuable the data is, only that they would like to recover it... Have you succesfully used this software yourself?
-
I have tried this, The drive is unreadable in another system. The password does appear to be on the drive itself.
-
I have looked at this, unfortunaly is seems as if this method will also destroy any data on the the disc.
-
The bios was also locked, I have overcome this, this password is actually on the HDD itself.
-
I have just been handed an Acer Travelmate 7720 that was being used by a now Ex-Member of staff who in now uncontactable... They have seen fit to set the HDD password in Bios, I have no idea of what it could be. Does anybody know of a way to recover it whilst kepping any data intact.
-
On your router block access to port 80 for everything other than you poxy server. That way if your proxy server is bypassed no internet access will be allowed.
-
I also got neg rep for this, this has made me laugh, thankyou whoever you are...
-
Yes did not alter miniserver You just have to have miniclient at a lower number than the version you are upgrading. The beta was version 7000 so I set miniclient to 6999.
-
I have completed this process on two machines this weekend. I simply changed the MinClient= to 6999 This worked on both machines without a hitch.
-
Q:- Whats the difference between Alex Ferguson and Micheal Jackson? A:- Alex Ferguson will be playing Giggs in August...
-
One of the schools I work in is considering opening ther library to the public and wish to let them use the computers in there for internet access. I intend to create several Guest user accounts and add them to a Guests Security group. Is there a way via group policy I can get these domain machines to run in kiosk mode only for this group of users? when puplis or staff log on they should be able to get access as normal.
-
GPO not coming through on new laptops
Jon replied to Tricky_Dicky's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
Alternatively, and much more easily, you could just use New Sid... NewSID v4.10 -
GPO not coming through on new laptops
Jon replied to Tricky_Dicky's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
Are the laptops connecting wirelesly or with a cable? If wireless...is it connecting before the user logs on? (if not it is best to use windows to manage your wireless connection rather than the manufacturers utility. what do you get if you run gpresult? what do you get if you run ipconfig /all? Have you looked in your DNS servers forward lookup zone to ensure that the laptops have a correct Host A record that actually matches the IP Address they have? Is your group policy appliying setting to users or computers? if it is users are the users accounts in the same OU you have applied the group policy to? A few things to try...Hope it helps. -
GPO not coming through on new laptops
Jon replied to Tricky_Dicky's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
Poor wireless signal? If not i would check they have all registered a correct DNS host A record.
