Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

SimonWindisch

Members
  • Posts

    131
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by SimonWindisch

  1. Did you try running rsop.msc on the client machines, as it can show errors. Also, have you looked in event viewer, not at the Application log, but at the Group Policy log? Simon
  2. I found some links https://help.apple.com/schoolmanager/ https://school.apple.com/ https://volume.itunes.apple.com/gb/app/classroom/id1085319084?mt=8 But it doesn't seem to be working yet.
  3. Just to add, I had a problem with Education City not loading on these computers. I got a "plugin failed" message. The solution was to locate the Chrome built flash plugin ( with url chrome://flash/ ) Then delete the whole remote cache, logon with the user and start Education City. Flash then worked. I also updated the variable above, to make it more easy to find where the plugins were stored... by machine, rather than by user. It is now [share]\${machine_name}\${user_name}\session _${client_name}
  4. I use a script to install Movie Maker, as follows \\[network-share]\wlsetup-all.exe /q /log:[file] /NoLaunch /NoToolbarCEIP /NoHomepage /NoSearch /AppSelect:Writer,MovieMaker This works OK in Windows 7 but in Windows 10 I get a message sayibg "An app on your PC needs the following Windows feature... .NET Framework 3.5 In order to install this, I copied the following file from the Windows 10 install image microsoft-windows-netfx3-ondemand-package.cab NOTE: This must be from the same build version of Windows 10 as the client PC that you are configuring and then issue the following command DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:"[network-share]" After this has completed successfully, Movie Maker can be installed.
  5. This worked for me after I did the following. 1. Purchased an iBook via the Apple VPP site 2. Did a force sync in Meraki VPP 3. In VPP> Licenced Applications I granted the licences to the users of the iPads that I wanted them to appear on. 4. Looked in iBooks on the iPads and they are there. Simon
  6. If you try to run Chrome on Multipoint Server with the same student logons on more than one client workstation then Chrome will not launch (start) on a second workstation. This is part of Chrome's design, to stop itself from being launched more than once. In order to get this to work you need to use the Group Policy Administrative Template provided by Chrome and set User configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Google\Google Chrome\Set user data directory to include {client_name} So for example S:\ICT\Chrome\${user_name}\${machine_name}\session_${client_name}
  7. Hi there, This was alluded to in another post, I wondered if anyone found a solution. 1. I install Windows 10, join the domain, install Office 2013. 2. I logon as test user, but the Office 2013 items that should be in the start menu are missing. Thanks if you can shed any light on this for me. Simon
  8. Uninstalled Sophos Antivirus and the install worked
  9. I answered this on another post, but for clarity I will repeat myself. I hope this is OK eschools have migrated to a new version over the summer holidays and have totally messed up (lost all the data, changed all the pupil passwords) at least three schools in my local area, and three weeks later they have not put it right. They don't answer their phones, have a "relaxed" approach to addressing issues on email, and they don't promise to do what they say they will do. The product is basically good, but I would not recommend anyone to use their services.
  10. eschools have migrated to a new version over the summer holidays and have totally messed up (lost all the data, changed all the pupil passwords) at least three schools in my local area, and three weeks later they have not put it right. They don't answer their phones, have a "relaxed" approach to addressing issues on email, and they don't promise to do what they say they will do. The product is basically good, but I would not recommend anyone to use their services.
  11. Hi there, I just thought I'd mention that the CEOPs YouTube video linked to at Thinkuknow - home is blocked at our school because it's not in the YouTube for Education whitelist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmqNg-7QrDk Simon
  12. Hi there, I work at a primary school where a lot of the children have English as their second language. First languages include Chinese, Arabic and Icelandic. Can anyone recommend a source of dual-language reading books for these children, there doesn't seem to be much about. Thanks - Simon
  13. We have Sharepoint A2 Our students' user names are [email protected] but as they are primary school students I have not enabled their Exchange licence so emails sent there don't get received. This wasn't a problem in Sharepoint because when I bulk create users I get an on-screen notification of password I can't add these users to Yammer without email authentication? I don't know if that's of any help to you!
  14. I've had a response from Tucasi (finally - after shouting at them for a bit) They will have to mend our database by hand. I have sent it to them and await their reply. Simon
  15. Yes, phoned on Monday, promised a return call... nothing. emailed yesterday with detailed problem description... nothing. When I called yesterday I was 14th in the queue... Simon
  16. The patch at http://www.tucasi.com/downloads/SCOFixTxnDatesJuly2014.exe is for "some payments having recorded the wrong date and time" That is not the problem that I am having, and I'm a bit worried about putting a hastily written patch on with incorrect installation instructions (although that also includes all fixes supplied by Capita I suppose!) Have other people applied this patch and have it fix the problem described in my first post? Thanks - Simon
  17. Hi there, Something went wrong with the Tucasi website last week, and since then some of our data shows inconsistancies We have a parent who made a payment on the 8th July but the payment hasn’t been added onto the total. We can see that the total of all her credits equal £240 but SCO has calculated it as being £200. This means that we think that she owes £22.35 when she should be in credit. I thought I'd mention this here in case someone else is having the same problem. Simon
  18. We have Sharepoint A2 Our students' user names are [email protected] but as they are primary school students I have not enabled their Exchange licence so emails sent there don't get received. This wasn't a problem in Sharepoint because when I bulk create users I get an on-screen notification of password How can I add these users to Yammer without email authentication? Thanks - Simon
  19. Many thanks, I had the same problem and this worked for me. I believe that if you delete custom.xml then SMART Notebook will build a new one from scratch. P.S. This also kills Word when it tries to load the SMART Ink plugin.
  20. When you go to Education City, logon and click on Enter you should get a new fullscreen window running the "App" but instead you get a Windows Popup that says This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administator" This is caused by the group Policy User Configuration \ Policies \ Administrative Templates \ Windows Components \ Internet Explorer \ Browser Menus \ Disable Open in New Window menu option Turn that off and your popup will work. Simon
  21. Thanks for listening! Yes, let's see both sides on the same screen. You'll be competing with this in a few months time. Our primary school cannot be alone in having a very tight budget. Thanks - Simon
  22. Anyone out there going for the "free" pilot at EspressoCoding - Computing Made Simple - Choose a unit It's a coding environment for primary school children, probably aimed at infants. I've had a look and it looks fatally flawed in that the code and program are on two different screens. I think Scratch is better designed, and is really free, but for ages 4-7 this might be useful. I wondered what thoughts you all had.
×
×
  • Create New...