Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

SimonWindisch

Members
  • Posts

    131
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by SimonWindisch

  1. Just a couple of notes on compatibility of programs with Windows Multipoint Server 2011 1. Sherston Problem solvers: Gives a white screen (while trying to load flash?) and hangs the client 2. TuxPaint: can't work in full screen mode, it's OK in Windowed mode
  2. In my case it was a Multipoint Server 2011 I had an extra 10 network cards defined. I disabled all of these, turned off IPv6 and the problem went away.
  3. Scratch 2.0 has been launched. It is browser based, so no need to install at school, also, children would be able to share their work with others, and update it from home which is good. The possible downside is maintaining children's logons, and any e-safety issues of giving children access to the public web. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks - Simon
  4. Just got some additional information: If a 4.01 client accesses a 4.03 database it will not give an error message but will corrupt it.
  5. Tucasi SCO wil stop Synching if Java is updated on the school server to 7.21 AND if Tucai SCO is installed to a location with a space in the folder path. Contact Tucasi for a fix Support | Tucasi
  6. eProfile has been updated to 4.03 and this is required for our LA's End of Key Stage Collection Arrangements 2013 I've been in touch with eProfile, and have learned the following. 4.01 is not compatible with 4.03. When you run 4.03 on a 4.01 database it will upgrade it, and then any 4.01 client will not be able to connect to it.
  7. Truecrypt error: Windows is not installed on the drive from which it boots This error may be caused by the 100MB partition that Windows Installer puts in front of the partition that you created at install time. To get around his follow this link When the Windows installer thinks it’s smarter than you… | www.timo.dk
  8. Do it again out of hours and look at the server where the profile lives. Have a look at the network traffic going out of that server during the slow logon, if it shows 100% network then you might have got closer to working out what is happening. Simon
  9. Just been in contact with SEGfL about this, they will look into it, ref: 3987167 if anyone else wants to get in touch with them about it. This is similar to http://www.edugeek.net/forums/internet-related-filtering-firewall/78313-custom-media-player-poetryarchive-org-not-working.html where poetryarchive.org used port 1935 for their audio. Asking SEGfL/SWGfL to unblock the port fixed the problem. Simon
  10. xkcd: Password Strength Thanks.
  11. Hi all, I was wondering what you would think of this password guidance, found on the Wokingham All in One e-Safey policy
  12. Hi there, Just in case anyone else comes across this, I thought I'd mention it. In the Oxford University Press series of products "Project X", one of the options is to "Write", which is meant to give students access to word files. This tries to open up an explorer window to the install directory, which of course is blocked to students. I have contacted OUP and they have suggested that I copy the files to the network, the file location cannot be configured and the error will not be corrected. It is "not working, as designed". Simon
  13. Definitely not, the projector broke down after a year, the speakers after 18 months, they short changed us on an extension lead and wouldn't budge, claiming that they had said it would be from 2-5 metres long, not 5 metres long, as they originally promised (could have bought a better one from poundland), the workman who was mean to fit the security brackets said he couldn't because of health and safety?!?, and didn't have any charge in his drill batteries, so I've not used Exceeia again!
  14. Just had a problem where our thin nComputing L300 clients went blank. The Multipoint Server 2011 said that nComputing was corrupt. I went to reinstall nComputing but I got an error Failed install: HydraTS/HbHydrats getlasterror 0x2 The problem was that the filewall was preventing the install. I turned the filewall off, the install went fine, picked up the old configuration and licencing and the thin clients came back up.
  15. Ours came with 128MB RA, Upgraded to 2GB RAM and they're much better, still coming to the end of their life though.
  16. I also plas bass guitar wearetoy.com
  17. Hi there, Thanks for that. I looked up zone security, but this seems to be for the internet? Can you please point me in the direction of some more information on this? Just to be on the safe side I turned off all IE internet security setting, restarted, and I still get the problem. I tried copying the shortcuts from the default start menu but they also don't work, in the same way that I described before. As to what happens, well, nothing. No error message, nothing.
  18. Hi all, I think I've read through all the other posts on shortcuts, so I hope you'll forgive me if this is easy but it's stumped me for two weeks. I have a Windows 7 Pro workstation (servers are Windows 2003 and Windows 2003 R2) and I'm trying to assign different users different Program shortcuts via group policy. The problem being that the shortcuts are blank squares instead of icons and they won't run. It all boils down to this: 1. When I log on to the workstation as an administrator And I go to share \\server\mu_Start_Menu (with full rights) and copy a shortcut to this area it shows as a white square. Properties look like this http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5068/5591381085_12bd2e1fa7.jpg 2. If I go to the SAME LOCATION but this time via share \\server\d$\Start_Menu$\mu_Start_Menu and copy a shortcut there then it works. Properties look like this http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5068/5591973382_bd5c7399a8.jpg Can anyone help? I'd be most grateful. Simon
  19. Hi there, We are planning to run 15 new laptops via an 802.11N wireless connection. So the layout is Server ---100Mbps---> "Middle School" --Access Point---> 15 laptops Room My questions are: 1. Will we need to upgrade to a gigabit connection, or will the 802.11N access point just run at 100Mbps without complaining? 2. Should we use two access points, in which case, can anyone recommend a way of having them talk t each other so that they can share the load sensibly? We're using Server 2003 R2 and the laptops will be dual core 3GB RAM running Windows 7. Should we use Home Premium, or a higher level of Windows 7? Thanks - Simon
  20. Hi there, I have a newish Acer Veriton M464 running XP SP3 It has an NVIDIA Geforce 7050/630i Graphics adapter on the motherboard I have installed a new Radeon HD3650 Graphics adapter hoping to turn it into a two-screen machine but when I boot up with this second card the PC fails to see the original NVIDIA adapter. Can anyone help? Thanks - Simon
  21. Hi there, We have purchased 6 nComputing x550 workstations and we have run against an issue where Sophos seemingly causes the host computer to hang. The host is running Windows XP and the Central servers are running Windows 2003. Our vendor offered us the following advice Any thoughts or experiences on this? Is it wise to tell Sophos not to scan a directory? Thanks - Simon
  22. Hi there, Apparently our year 6s will be asked to carry out a confidential survey at school, using the website Tellus4 Home They're using the interesting technique of rumour and misinformation to get ICT technicians up to speed on minimum specification for their website. My reacher told me that minimum spec included IE8, but according to the person I spoke to a tellus4 this is from "an old document". They have solved this problem by having no documents. An email I got says Just a "heads up" and does anyone have definitive info on this? Thanks Simon
  23. This is a bit weird, but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else comes across this problem... When I go to edit the policy again the WIndows components go missing again, and sometimes I remove them all and add them all and it still doesn't work. So I've discovered that if I add them in the following order it's fine. wmplayer conf system inetres wuav I can then edit the policy successfully but when I close the editor session and reopen, those components have gone missing again. Simon
  24. Many thanks, I made sure that both servers had the same levels of ADM files and then I removed and added the templates and it worked fine! Simon
  25. Hi there, We have three server, one is Windows 2000, the second is WIndows 2003 and the third is Windows 2003 R2. We don't really use the first one, so I'll not mention it again. The problem is that recently I tried to edit a policy that we use to lock down the desktop for students and I couldn't because the administrative template that I was trying to use (Windows Copmponents -> Internet Explorer) was missing from the GPMC, like this http://www.pix01.com/gallery/AD15DA26-5D38-4DA7-9655-0A4E1F24AB12/GPO_Problem/447560302_orig0.jpg When I tried to edit the policy from server 3 I got the following "Inaccessible" message http://www.pix01.com/gallery/AD15DA26-5D38-4DA7-9655-0A4E1F24AB12/GPO_Problem/447560302_orig2.jpg This is what the screen looks like back from server 2 http://www.pix01.com/gallery/AD15DA26-5D38-4DA7-9655-0A4E1F24AB12/GPO_Problem/447560302_orig1.jpg Does this make sense to anyone? Thanks - Simon
×
×
  • Create New...