Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

petectid

Members
  • Posts

    300
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by petectid

  1. petectid

    Wireless

    Take a look at http://www.jiwire.com/wi-fi-os-setup-mac-os-x.htm
  2. Keys are usually attached via a small wishbone type structure not unlike a small folding stool though they lie flat when assembled correctly and are held in position with small hooks through which the key mount wishbone pivots. If they come away from their mount they often separate and need to be assembled before reconnecting to the hook like mounts. The small rubber blister under the key gives it the spring. If the wishbone is still in tact just place the key over it and apply some pressure and it will click back in place. Otherwise rebuild the mount re-attach it to the keyboard (the fiddly bit) and then apply the key as above.
  3. Interesting that Pearsons website advertising its Knowledge Box is using Frog Teacher, a competitors VLE
  4. Larger screen 2.5" more storage space 30 Gb Nano is 1.5", 8Gb and probably not as robust.
  5. An article in a recent Macworld describe Vista as looking more OsX like making the switch from Windows to Mac that much easier for users.
  6. I found our pupils doing this, you can stop them by using the no view drives policy. Drive C: is easily hidden but you can also hide network shares from where you may be running software. Just edit the System ADM file to suite your requirements. If you prevent access to the drive they will not be able to run the software, remember there is the NoDrives policy and the NoViewOnDrives Policy. You need the latter which only hides the drive.
  7. My wife works for a government department and a few years ago they put out to tender for an EDRM system. The contracts came in and large IT companies presented their products in a presentation identifying how it would fit the brief of the departments business model. This contract was worth hundreds of thousands and the winning bidder set about installing their system. It became clear that there EDRM system was a new piece of software and could not perform the most basic functions required of an EDRM system. To this day, three years on has still not been completed to a satisfactory state that makes use transparent and trouble free. So it is not unusual for an IT company to win a contract, taking on a task it cannot fulfil.
  8. XP Pro will only allow 10 concurrent connections, I think this applies no matter what your running
  9. Not really on subject but it is interesting that RM gets a hell of a slamming on this thread, yet they seem to be ahead when it comes to winning contracts under BSF. I suppose allot of the LEAs who are partly responsible for awarding contracts are going to have egg on their faces when the sh*t hits the fan. I do not think we will have to wait long for this to happen?
  10. petectid

    The Fallen...

    Dos_Box I know you work for the LEA up here but were do you get your figures from. I'm not disputing them yet but I am interested in your sources.
  11. As Geoff mentions set-up new OU's for software installation etc, this way you can separate all your workstations into areas i.e. "IT Suit 1" and LRC this way packages can be sent out to specific classrooms. Your way would install on every PC, though you may wish to do this?
  12. I cannot see as Chris suggests that anything would be improved, or indeed why there is a problem, the link seems to be suffient to deal with any traffic especially authentication, and mandatory profiles. Are we missing any info here.
  13. Yep Jake that did pass my mind lol.
  14. Lancashire computer waste disposal 01254 726303 Electronic recycling 0151 2285626
  15. I'm sure there will be a small number, you only have to review the three posts your pupil has made to realise he does not work in IT.
  16. Unfortunately dealing with large dealers like Dell can be a problem, you begin to feel that your custom is not worth their effort, as your purchases are small in comparison to larger organisations. All my Dell kit has been bought through the local authority this gives us another avenue to take if we have problems. What Tony has suggested is a good idea as they will not want to see their name dragged through the mud in public, so by drawing their attention to this can only be good. Had similar issues once with Compaq as it was then, I had 48 drive failures in the space of a month or two, they to wanted me to report each one individually. Talking with one of their support engineers made a difference as he persuaded his boss to take the matter up and all drives were replaced under warranty. I hope you get a satisfactory solution to your power supply issues.
  17. My attention was drawn to this article in yesterdays Times. Health fears lead schools to dismantle wireless networks. I wonder how many of these parents have bought their children mobiles?
  18. There could also be a problem with the NVRAM you could reset this by typing reset-nvram at the Open Firmware prompt or reset-all. The later will reset all the Open Firmware settings and restart the iMac.
  19. Tony does the question say anything about the Date being wrong or even printers selected in the Chooser disappearing, classic symptoms of PRAM battery failure? The system is booting into Open Firmware, as you mention the iMac in question shipped with Firmware that did not support drive partitions greater than 8Gb. Sidewinder is your drive larger than 8Gb if so you will need to partition the drive so that the first partition is smaller than 8Gb install your system on this. If your Firmware has been updated to support larger drives then your problem lies elsewhere. If you need to update the Firmware for your iMac you will find it here, though I have never done this to a Mac that does not boot, Tony gives an example of how you could do this from an external drive, I've never seen this method documented by Apple.
  20. Not quite sure about that Tony, when the PRAM battery fails the system makes all the correct startup chimes it often then fails to display any video output. What I suggested was that the firmware is wrong for the operating system, if Sidewinder types the command mac-boot at the Open Firmware prompt then if anything is going to work it will, the fact that it has started in Open Firmware would suggest to me that there is a fault that needs rectifying, not just the battery but maybe the firmware.
  21. Its a long time since I dealt with Macs running pre OS X, but if I remember correctly the move from Os 8.6 into Os 9 required a firmware update. Therefore I suspect the firmware on your system is the wrong one for Os 8.6. You may find that you need to install Os 9 for this iMac to now work. All this from a distant memory, others may have a more recent experience than mine.
  22. We are not using Novel but are staff can do actions 3 in part (filter sites make personal white list), 4,5,7 (looking into a package for classroom PC management that includes this function).
  23. I think they intend rolling out updated software before Christmas.
  24. Cheers CyberNerd thanks for the quick response.
  25. Just a quick question on installation of KS3 test software. Do I need to assign the APS webserver a different IP address, or do I use the servers IP address I am installing the software onto?
×
×
  • Create New...