-
Posts
300 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by petectid
-
You can do this using arping, I think there are Windows binary available now but you would probably be better using linux here
-
You will find this reference in the Template folder in the file templateDetails.xml
-
I'm with Paul on this sounds to me like they did not carry out a wireless survey at all. Making notes of wall thickness seams senseless as the most important part of survey is whether the wireless signal can penetrate obstacles. Then to come back and say you need an AP in every room, what was the point of turning up for a survey, in most installations this would work. A wireless survey should involve wireless signals using different antenna to check their suitability in any one area of the site. Sounds to me like they want to sell you as much hardware as possible, and you probably do not need it.
-
Daemon tools.
-
EduGeek has joined SALTIS as a partner - please contribute
petectid replied to crispinw's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
I read this paragraph on the SALTIS homepage Then while looking at the members noticed that Capita and RM were in there, does this not smack of hypocrisy, as I see Capita and RM as companies that would prefer a prescriptive approach to IT in schools. -
Just been shown an interesting link to a report on the result of job evaluation in Blackburn and Darwen. See this report I didn't think this was possible so I'm quite concerned as they are a neighbouring authority. How long will it be before Lancashire county follows suite. I wonder where IT support and Network managers came in their new pay scale.
-
Sometimes issues like this can be solved by changing the print processor, I've had Hp printers printing all pages onto one due to the use of the Winprint processor.
-
Its pretty much as Michael explains, you will find some information on how to do it here
-
Both IE7 and IE6 updates are included in SP3, the service pack will not update your IE6 browser to IE7 but it will update either of these browsers with the available security and critical updates for each. I find this amusing as wasn't IE7 release classification a criticle update?
-
With you on that djm968, VMware is a much better product.
-
You have more opportunity while in work than you do out of work, don't walk away. It’s easier to get training or land a new job if you are already employed. It’s not good to have in your employment history that you walked away from a post. You are based in Lancashire, Stuart Knight has already mentioned in a previous post about the training opportunities available at Lancaster Uni ICT Focus. Get your School to send you there and use your spare time to study. You could also, as has been suggested create some new network services, this can be done on the cheap using Linux. If you have no experience of Linux then it will be an important part in the development of your skill set. UNIX based systems are important in the big world beyond the school door so this will help you gain experience in that area.
-
Anything which people need to touch/move, which does include PCs and printers. Projectors are portable appliances, Nick how do you change the lamp, clean the filters without touching the appliance. PAT testing is not just about protecting pupils in schools but the entire workforce that includes yourself and your colleagues. The contractors we have go a bit over the top though as I'm finding test labels on data cabs as well as the switches they house.
-
Another upgrade, Yawn!!! Could Capita please develop a component in SIMS that will tell me who is connected to SIMS and that can stop users connecting during the upgrade process.
-
The unfortunate aspect of academies is that they do no better than other state schools when inspected. So you have to ask the question; Is all this change worthwhile, has private investment improved the school? In quite a few cases the answer is no, do a search on Google for "academies fail inspection" you will find the results show quite a few academies not coming up to scratch, ie not really an improvement on what they replace.
-
Acticsync does not see more than one craddle, and PARs has to have the PDA manager closed to re-initialize the sync process so you have to change the PDAs between syncing, spoke with a tech at Task about this, its one at a time stuff I'm afraid. Though if you find a hack post it here but until then multiple syncs are a no go.
-
We use two PDAs for our PE Dept, set up each within Activesync so they both have a different profile PDA1 and PDA2, under File-Mobile Device. When this is done all your PDAs should be listed. You can only sync them using a single cradle changing each device after closing the PDA manager, re-opening the PDA manager starts the connection process and they then sync. Hope this helps.
-
How backups are carried out depends on the importance of your data. There are three types of backup that can be used. These are Full, Incremental and Differential. Full backup does exactly what is says on the tin, all data selected is backed up, Incremental backs up only data changed since the last full backup or the last incremental backup and finally the differential backup, backs up all data since the last full backup. I do a full backup every Friday followed by differential backups Monday to Thursday; these are scheduled to run in the evening when the systems are less likely to have open files. Backup your System state data for your DC. And test your backups occasionally by restoring its data to another location; a backup is useless if it does not work.
-
Pars log in after sims.net upgrade to september version
petectid replied to Uraken's topic in MIS Systems
I've noticed this myself, and was told today by a tech from the LEA that it is linked with the move to SQL 2005 by Capita? I do not know why though. -
Use USBDLM look here
-
Not just Icons but a simple application for creating network diagrams, used this in my coursework last year Stuart you will find it here.
-
May be worth checking what the legal aspects of doing this are, wild birds are protected under the wildlife and countryside act. There could be some code of conduct that needs to be followed. Contact the RSPB
-
I found yesterday that SCC were selling Toshiba Satellite Pro A200 with either Vista Business or XP Pro. The laptop seemed a bit under spec for Vista but what was interesting is the laptop with XP was nearly £20 more than the same laptop with Vista.
-
I had a look at this the other day, installed it on a vmware virtual server and bulk imported some users to test the application seemed to work fine. While exiting the software it crashed BSOD, I cannot get the image to boot now. The image I used was a snapshot of clean install of W2k3 Standard SP1. If I manage to recover the image and find out what went wrong I will update this post.
