-
Posts
3,240 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by mthomas08
-
Hi All Strange one this, on 2008 R2 and when I remove the proxy setting tick box from the group policy on the server its not replicating over to staff. Our other users dont have this issue e.g Students/Year12/13. I have gone through removed the tick, nothing. Gone in and seen no tick and still not replicating over, this has been removed for a few days but today is the day we pulled the proxy server out (upgraded to lightspeed). Wondering if any one else can help? I have logged on to a machine and checked gpresult and all looks good. Thanks
-
Frog upload Internet Explorer 9 Problem!!???
mthomas08 replied to a topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
I would totally agree, I am heading there this year so I will find out more. Gareth did say they will announce more details @ the conference. As for the deploying one thing he did say on his blog is you can choose if you want it or wait down the line for it when it is released. -
When I see this I want to face palm, your 100% right but when it comes to problems like this you will have to resort to either paying for support or resorting to what your doing now - using Forums. Plus to get to the point of Frog will take you endless months/years and still be lacking in a lot of areas which is why we switched from Moodle to Frog. Although it did some things we needed over what Frog does, Frog gave us much more flexibility and they are catching fast. As for your problem have you tried asking the Frog Community for what other schools are doing, I dont think you are alone on the two week timetable (I believe we used to be ages ago). Luckily we have not changed from what we are now but if it does happen - they like to change the timetables often here !!! Would be great if every school used Forums let alone the Frog Community to see what everyone is doing but sadly not everyone has the time. If you are going to the Frog Conference take a pad with a list of wants/questions with you as we plan to. As for their technical support every time I have contacted them (like last night) I got solutions back within an hour.
-
This has just popped up our on EIS grid list from another School - similar issue. As always once I see a scare in another school I do some checks, make sure EPO is fully updated and deploying to all clients and windows updates on any machines I can check. We have not had a virus here since the Blaster/Welcha? first came out years ago - oh what a nightmare that was (worst thing was my colleague refused to admit that we had a problem). After spending ages making sure every PC was updated etc we managed to get rid of it. @SimpleSi You could find a PC updated it self or worse the infected machine has been switched off and not turned on. Once that is turned on BAM
-
+1 for me, I believe Lewis would have won that day. Getting to 7th from last place was pretty amazing especially the fact that he lasted 30? laps on a set of tyres. Shame really - he should of been sent to 10th with Q3 time removed and as Eddie Jordan said completely wrong decision by the stewards. I wonder if it was in another country AKA Canada if he would of just went down to 10th - we know the spanish love Lewis..... As for Maldonado I am not a fan I was kinda hoping him and Alonso would collide but still glad he won it over Alonso and Williams needed that after the season they had last year. 5 races 5 winners, whos next? Lewis still needs a win under his belt.
-
This, we did this in two rooms: Keyboards being broken and due to them being laptops you simply can not replace it in 4 seconds, instead the technical staff have to replace (some laptops are a nightmare just to replace the keyboard) or worse send off for repair. Using Wireless? Will not be as fast as a cable which most of the time you will not notice but Wireless tends to be far less reliable than a cable. Battery failures - like Steven said - this is a big issue without being conditioned they can stop being useful after 1 year. Smashed screens, again this is a nightmare to replace (at least most of the ones we have had) or worse sent off to repair. ICT Suite to me always the better option. Unless you want to use a MAC system as I call it, No domain just turn on and use internet in which case this will work perfectly minus the occasional wireless access issue.
-
+1 on this one, we avoided Vista for this very reason and now look - thats almost forgotten compared to Windows 7. 2008R2 has worked great here *touch wood* .
-
I was expecting the clip of Kirk vs Spock *der der der derrrrr* Cable guy style. Took a look at the guest list and I would want to go just for the sake of meeting all of them, especially William Shatner and Patrick Stewart. Other half though would probably call me a geek 50 times a day and disown me.
-
Very true but hoping that there is a better way or is it supposed to do this? If thats the case we can ignore that then.
- 11 replies
-
- roaming profile
- windows 7
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Already sorted that, it was one of the google solutions... have gone through endess amount of google solutions - yet if I reimage the PC its fine. Some times for a few months or just a few weeks - if I use a CD though the problem will not occur. Some model machines are fine imaging though.
- 11 replies
-
- roaming profile
- windows 7
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Totally. @Garacesh No you are not the only one, so far they seem to be doing nothing except lets face it - being just as bad as the kids - tantrum time and throwing toys out of the pram. I used to have sympathy for these kinds of people but you know that sympathy has all gone.
-
[BBC News] U-turn signalled over no-notice inspections for schools
mthomas08 replied to elsiegee40's topic in General Chat
Totally Agree, I like it when some one posts exactly what I would post - saves me typing an essay. IT Inspection for us - we had some years ago (from our service provider just a friendly one) regarding all sorts and they gave some pointers. Since then we have changed A LOT. Would I want one right now? Sure why not. It is pretty much my job to make sure we do things properly we even got a piece of paper for staff to sign when they are issued laptops. I am also currently documenting everything I can regarding system setup/procedures. As for OFSTED inspection, 1 day although short does still give this school time to remove all the students that cause problems and use the Student Support Centre and our two slammer/exclusion rooms (instead of sending them home). As for staff/projectors - they are TOLD "Do not make an easy/safe lesson just with a projector and plan a backup lesson" that came from the HT. SLT here also done a lot of lesson observations to find the staff who could be doing better, also to pick up the depts that could do better - changes have already been set in motion. As a result staff have been a bit more in the "Panic" mode. Again - If an IT inspection would occur I am happy for it - maybe they can offer more pointers on how we can improve anything. Our last few system down times have been as a result of outside problems. E.g Loop backs, Failures (which have been sorted out within 24 hours). Then on the other hand you can not compare a teacher not correctly doing her lesson to the entire network going down. You would have to compare it to an individual IT Suite or laptop - in which case things do actually work very well. Only had a single suite go down (students had smashed in to the cabinet and removed cables - dont ask me why the teacher HAD NOT noticed) - we are going to be moving this cabinet in the summer. Most of the laptop problems that occur are usually "User Error" but with netsupport we can resolve them within minutes. And then Projector issues which lets face it are a global issue like printers used to be back when schools purchased deskjets and little printers compared to laserjets. -
Sadly nope Occurs for new users and users who have to start from a fresh roaming profile.
- 11 replies
-
- roaming profile
- windows 7
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Hi All Sorry another thread about this situation: We are typical Vanilla network 2008 R2 Server System with almost all machines being Windows 7. Our current roaming profile system works but there are snags, one being the first time some one logs on it does not load a profile (they get no settings, no start menu etc etc - it looks like a clean slate) then they logoff and logon and then they get the roaming profile. This happens 1st time for anyone without a profile on the server. Another issue is every now and then a certain group of PCs will decide to take 10 minutes to logon, strange thing with this is when 1 PC in a room starts the whole model range of those PCs do the same thing - and at random times. If we built the room from CD we will not have an issue at all, yet if we rebuild them using FOG they work for a while but there seems to be a chance that it occurs again some months later. I think its some kind of network driver issue? what do people think? It does not occur every where, like we have a model of 60 machines in two rooms which have started to randomly logon slowly yet our ICT suites up here with 30 machines each are unaffected. The worst thing is these machines some times then begin to slow down upon logoff and shutdown? to me this is a Driver/Fog issue? I have looked through GPO/User accounts to make sure all is setup correctly and all seems good the only thing I can think of is: Some sites say \\server\share$\Username\ located in the GPO setting and the user account. Yet other sites say \\server\share$\username (without that final slash). That setting must match in the GPO settings and the user account am I correct in that? For the first problem I am thinking that it requires a pre-built profile yet the googling I see says Win7 does not require one. And that the GPO setting requires \\server\share$\PreBuiltProfile\ and the user account has \%username%\. Our system works except these two little snags and the first problem is sorted out after they logoff and on again but the second problem is fixed by machines being re-imaged. We not long re-imaged most of our machines and the problem did not exist for some weeks after that. Any Ideas? shots in the dark? I have checked DNS, DHCP, GPO settings, Account Settings, Errors and all is looking good. Does the GPO setting for Roaming Profile match with \%username%\ ? or \%username (or different) ? Any thing will be much appreciated
- 11 replies
-
- roaming profile
- windows 7
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Frog upload Internet Explorer 9 Problem!!???
mthomas08 replied to a topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Glad to of helped, hopefully if other people are having this problem they will see this. Might be a good idea to drop frog an email just to let them know so they can pass on the info to other people who have the same issue. -
MPs to get free iPads at taxpayer's expense
mthomas08 replied to flyinghaggis's topic in General Chat
And this is why i have an issue with them, they will still want print outs and they will still resort to a laptop - I bet. And lets not forget - we are still in a country that is suffering from the financial crises let alone Unemployment issues. Nevermind though as long as people get their fancy toys? -
Frog upload Internet Explorer 9 Problem!!???
mthomas08 replied to a topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Got 11.1.102.63 here, Shockwave we install on every machine but we never used GPO to deploy this one. We just install exe or use site for images. Perhaps try a manual update from website instead of using GPO see if that helps? -
This but does depend what exactly and how much you rely on IT on site? We between the 3 of us here 900+ Computers/Laptops, projector in every room, endless amount of printers, a load of servers, new VLE (Frog), Digi Screens, Wireless covering 90%, 1600+ Users (Staff, Students yr7-13+). Its a massive job. I also spend a good % supporting an external site with 50 PCs/Server/Engineering software. I would always recommend employing some one on site for the first 6 months to get everything up and running and sort out all the early problems - this to me must be some one of Network Manager/Officer+ Status who has experience in setting up servers/configuring them and maintaining them. That person should also be able to setup the Wireless and maintain the smart boards for you. (Not insulting a technician there, senior ones can do at least most of the above). As SYSMan said - not really a good idea going to a external company it will be a lot of money to get everything properly setup. Some one like me could tell you exactly what you needed and what my preference choices are. Our centre was badly managed at the start and we had given them a plan - which they ignored. As a result I had to go down and fix the server and actually set it all up. Now I wish they had listened to us and when we upgrade their server I plan on having two servers 1 New one to do the Server side stuff and second one for software and shared area. It's a massive job and again I would recommend getting a Quote from a company to do Everything for 6 months - see how much that will be and then perhaps do some job interviews to see who will be best suited for that type of a job. After 6 months you can then consider what next because some schools are even looking at Primary VLEs.
-
Frog upload Internet Explorer 9 Problem!!???
mthomas08 replied to a topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Frog – The World’s first Learning Platform Designed for Tablets « Here is the info regarding the future update, they are being tight lipped over it though. As for your problem if its Frog then perhaps your server needs updating if its on the same version I am then I dont think its Frog side thats the problem. I not long rebuilt the PC I am on and nearly all our laptop/PCss are on Windows 7 IE9 and no issues so far. I dont think its a GPO setting either because I have pretty much none as an administrator and staff/students have tons. Fully updated your PC? I am short on ideas minus trying to break mine. Even more sorry that you have to go through your LEA to contact frog.... once some one here has a problem they are able to contact me and I can get right on the case. -
Frog upload Internet Explorer 9 Problem!!???
mthomas08 replied to a topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Strange I had this once and it lasted for about 2 hours, since then I have not had a problem - Windows 7/IE9 here as well. Have you tried giving Frog a call? I might have done a full internet settings clean, I honestly can't remember if I fixed it or it just started to work. Have you tried it on another machine as your self or even as say an administrator - which has no GPO settings? Although I will add they are currently working on FrogOS4 which is for all the new browsers and mobile devices etc. -
....and there was me thinking this country was broke....
mthomas08 replied to mattx's topic in General Chat
I am sure there are "options", giving a house to some one who decided to leave school and just get pregnant - does she really need a 2 bed house and ££ thrown at her? What about food vouchers? clothes vouchers? instead of cash to buy fags/drink and the latest top brand clothes. I know my younger sister is exactly as I describe above. As for single mothers - whats wrong with government funded nursery? I would rather pay taxes for their kids to be at nursery so their mothers can work. What about those who can't find a job or shall I say "Won't" find a job. The sun just had an article where people didnt bother turning up for work in the first place. Boss hires seven people... none turn up because of rain | The Sun |News Instead of throwing money at people why not say You Prove to me you need this money and you can't find work. The idea is to actually persuade people to work in the first place and not just say "Bleh, whats the point, I just claim benefits". We do have a bad benefit culture compared to other nations in the EU yet we dont see their people starving on the streets, just getting pregnant at 15. -
....and there was me thinking this country was broke....
mthomas08 replied to mattx's topic in General Chat
Superdad of 12 has his say on the whole Gov.. Searing view on Britain by 'superdad'-of-12 who has emigrated to Australia | The Sun |Features Must say I agree with him 100%, as a middle child seeing a older sister work hard for her family, college/full time job, 3 great kids, husband, house and car - worked for it all. And a Younger sister who left school at 14 and that was it now has a house, custody of 1 out of 2 children and has worked about 4 days in her life (no sarcasm, shes just turned 26 and lives off benefits) I have seen both sides of the coin. I my self had left school, college 3 years + part time work then full time work... -
....and there was me thinking this country was broke....
mthomas08 replied to mattx's topic in General Chat
Great? You mean Insanely - $11.6Billion profits. Apple profits soar on record iPhone sales | TG Daily Although all 3 of us here..... who hated Apple now all have iPhones. -
....and there was me thinking this country was broke....
mthomas08 replied to mattx's topic in General Chat
At least their not spending the money on iPhones and iPads oh wait............... -
Even if they were full, still would take them 3 months to decide to lift it... You would think after a lifetime of hose pipe bans being on/off in a country that actually does see quite a bit of rain they would build more. If countries that see hardly any rain and actually have REAL droughts can still use water... and survive you would think the great british isle would. Then again we are country where suppliers only care about profits.
