Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hightower

Members
  • Posts

    5,005
  • Joined

Everything posted by Hightower

  1. Being an RM network, the default port for SSL of 443 is used for EasyLink - so we have to choose a different one for this (as we only have one outward facing IP address). Guess we can't have a trusted certificate for this then, and will just have to stick to using a self-signed
  2. We have a school .co.uk domain, which is hosted with an external hosting provider. At the moment we have: http://sub.domain.co.uk set to redirect to https://IPAddress:Port/Folder So when the user browses to the domain, it just forwards them onto the IP of the server (which we host internally at school). I'm trying to get a certificate for this server, but it won't allow me to get a certificate for an IP address. I need to somehow link the domain to the IP (and rest of the address - it's not just an IP as you can tell, it's a port and a folder too) so I can install a certificate for it. Anybody got any ideas how I can achieve this?
  3. Well that's where you define the PXE server, so surely it would be there that you define two PXE servers if DHCP could allow it.
  4. Yeah, this is what the shared tech has planned I think. Little 24 port switch and a VM of FOG on his laptop - probably the best way anyways if he's round and about at different schools. @webman: thanks for the info. thought that might be the only way - shame DHCP can't handle multiple addresses and create its own menu if needed.
  5. I don't know how CC4 works - I've not seen it in action, and nor do I intend to. Does the PXE builds on CC4 allow for adding custom images? If so, then great, but if not then the reason the shared tech might want FOG to run alongside it is so he can build his laptops from his custom image (to leave as standalone). Like I say, I've not touched CC4 so not sure exactly what is achievable with it (and it's not unlikely for RM to lock down adding of custom images ).
  6. But can they work together if needs be? Or is it a case of one or the other, not both
  7. Also, not sure how this can be configured for PXE boot on a CC4 network as I believe CC4 uses PXE for builds. Has anybody done this (we're not CC4 but the shared tech has 4 schools which are so it would be handy to know).
  8. Well, I'm just playing with it because our shared tech has 20 laptops to build as standalone. He was going to burn a load of Clonezilla discs but I asked him to hang fire. Looked into Clonezilla SE first, which needed two NICs and didn't seem very easy to install. Then we stumbled on FOG. It seems that it's created by school techs. I just followed the very easy installation instructions on a Ubuntu 10.10 install (Desktop edition, not server), on a VM on my machine. The only thing I did different from the install instructions was to NOT install the DHCP server it provides as we already have this job being carried out by our servers. If you also do this, it gives you the instructions of what you need to do on your DHCP server(s) (insert the IP of the FOG in #65 or something, and a small string in #66 I think - takes seconds). After that, it has easy instructions on how to upload your images to the FOG server, and then how to redeploy them. Everything is web based (management). It took about 30 mins to upload a 10 gig image over gig network, but I think it does some GZipping etc so our 10 gig image was only 5 gig on the server (I think). To put the image back onto the same machine took 10 minutes. Not tried multicasting yet, but it seems that is a possibility with this too. Overall, server installation on a VM took me about 30 minutes (including installing Ubuntu). Configuring it took about 5, and I had the image on the server and ready to deploy 30 minutes later.
  9. But then you don't have a 'standard' Ford do you Sylv3r?! I thought yours one was of those cross breeds, you know the ones where it looks like a 'standard' car slept with a rally car
  10. This is unbelievable. It truly is. I mean this has GOT to be the best open source software available to IT techs. Just played with FOG, and all I can say is wow! Just wow!
  11. Lol, I wonder how many people have fallen for what it says in your avatar. Fair enough if we were on computers4noobs.com, but on a forum full of IT professionals?
  12. How angry would you be if you had this conversation: Customer: "Hello, can I have a sausage sandwich please?" Shop Assistant: "Certainly. Would you like our standard white bread, or do you want to opt for the healthier brown bread?" Customer: "Brown please" Shop Assistant: "That's an extra 30p" Customer: "You charge extra for that?! I'll just have white please" Shop Assistant: "Butter on it?" Customer: "Uh huh" Shop Assistant: "Will cost you an extra 20p" Customer: "Then no thanks" Shop Assistant: "Sauce?" Customer: It's going to cost me isn't it?! No, I'll just have a sausage sandwich, on white bread, with no butter and no sauce" Shop Assistant: "Ok, there you go, that's £12 please" Customer: "Where's my sausages? You've just handed me an empty bun!" Shop Assistant: "Ah, sausages are extra. £7 each" Customer: "It's a sausage sandwich. It's meant to have sausages in" Shop Asisstant: "No, we just call it a sausage sandwich. You have to pay extra if you actually want sausages in it"
  13. That can't be right surely? Apple charging over the top for a device with no functionality, and then charging extra for each bit of functionality you want? I don't believe that for one second
  14. A quick google shows lists like "10 best alternatives to the iPad". Not sure how this one compares to iPad spec, but for £250-£300 it really caught my eye: Notion Ink - Adam
  15. I've just been looking into alternatives for my brother, and the very first one I stumble upon is nearly twice the spec of the iPad for the same, if not less, dinero. Everybody! "We're living in a material world, but I would rather get more value, for my money, we're living in a material world, but apple didn't see me coming!"
  16. Friday, went to watch a film but ended up going home ill. Saturday, was ill, went to watch a local game of football to see if the fresh air would help, but that just made things worse. Sunday, woke up ill, played football which seemed to clean me right out, felt right as rain, and had our Sky+HD fitted (that offer I got actually worked!) Monday, hoped to wake up fresh as a daisy, but ill again. That damned 'skip a day virus'
  17. You must have one of those younger models then. Mines gorgeous, but not in the 2k10 definition: [ATTACH=CONFIG]8269[/ATTACH]
  18. Depends. If you mean the traditional definition of juggling, then no. But if you mean the more modern definition of being able to carry the missus' shopping bags around the metro centre, whilst answering her phone for her and telling her she looks gorgeous in whatever she wears, whilst munching on a maccy d's, then yes, I can juggle (and lie it seems too )
  19. Ok, so I'm not that big headed, but we just got a laptop in that won't charge. Rather than just doing the usual 'ship to LEA for repair under SLA' I decide to take this one on myself. Stripped laptop right down, give it a good good clean, and resoldered the power jack onto the board. Put it all back together and plug it back in - hey presto! we have power! Chuffed to bits with my 1 hour turn around (would have been days or weeks if I'd shipped it off to LEA) I decide to power up the laptop and just make sure it's running as should be. Hmmmm, bit slow........ what's this........ LIMEWIRE?! Gonna be having words, whilst thrusting the AUP in the teachers face! (This is a laptop for use at home, not in school, so once it leaves here we can't really control what happens to them) My high was met straight away by a low - typical!
  20. Just enquired about this at our local site. The guy says just to show up when I have a Sunday free (play football most Sundays). Wish there was a local Saturday group, because they all seem to be Sundays.
  21. Saw this on the news, and thought what a great guy. When stars do things like that they deserve to be in the spotlight.
  22. As Butuz has said, you have two options as a CC3 school. You can go to Vanilla, or go to CC4 - you won't be able to stay CC3 much longer (well it'll get harder and harder to manage). Because of this, you can say CC4 would cost us 'X', Vanilla 'Y', so by going Vanilla we could potentially save 'Z'. We went Vanilla at my last school but was ages ago so can't tell you about costings for it. Planning to do the same here too. We looked into upgrading to CC4, and for ~300 machines, 3 servers (not counting member servers as don't need to) - all the commissioning, licencing etc etc was going to cost in the region of £18-20k. Vanilla, I'm looking at no more than £5k (MAX) but would expect it to be closer to £2-3k.
  23. Oh, and as Bossman says, a massage can do wonders. Love getting a rub off the gaffa. Gets the blood flowing to the muscles thus decreasing the healing time. Quite often limp into the house on a Sunday just to get a massage off the OH
  24. What's all this about karma? I don't get it? As for recovery Witch, you need ice for the first 24 hours to stop the swelling, and then hit it hard with heat to start the healing process. A few of our footballers literally can't walk after Saturday & Sunday, but this process has them training again come Wednesday.
  25. Welcome, nephilims a good guy. Hope you enjoy your stay at EduGeek
×
×
  • Create New...