Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ranj

Members
  • Posts

    843
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ranj

  1. Sorry is this software the same as Groupcall messenger. As I am looking to buy this for the school. Looks like a great piece of software. Does any school use this?
  2. Hi We have had a new member of staff started recently and she work in a team with 3 other colleagues. One of the colleagues has distribution groups set up in her OWA and the new member of staff would like a copy of these. Rather than her creating them manually. I wanted to know if I can copy this group and insert in into another staff's OWA or if the staff concerned can do this. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated Thanks
  3. ranj

    BRU Server

    I am using a evaluation of BRU Server as I am looking to Backup our data from our Apple XRAID box and backup every weekend to our Adaptec SNAP Server 520 NAS. I am having trouble adding the SNAP server to "Servers authorized to backup this client" area. I know the IP address is correct and am using the password for the local admin on the SNAP server, I have tried all the admin passwords I can think of but It just doesnt accept the connection. I get a message "connection to server, connection refused". please check ip address and/or password and try again. Please ensure you have not exceeeded the licensed number of clients for your server. Can anyone help me with this query. Thank you.
  4. ranj

    BRU server confusion

    Hey everyone Got a question about BRU server. I am in the process of purchasing BRU server as I need a simple solution to use on my MAC OS X Server 10.4.10. I want to be able to backup up the data to a remote share on another server. Now I just had a quick look on the BRU website and it says Mac OS X 10.2.8, 10.3.X, 10.4.0-10.4.8 and 10.4.11, or 10.5.X are supported platforms. We currently running 10.4.10 and has everything seems to work I relunctant to upgrade the server to 11. I just confused why it works on earlier versions of tiger and 11 but not 10 or 9. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Thanks
  5. Hi folks Hope everyone is well. I was wondering if someone might have come across this weird problem we been having with one particular user on our network. all of our teacher laptops synchronise with the network, offline file is enabled on their user directories. All of a sudden on one teachers, the offline files is reported access is denied when trying to synchoronise. We would it was a laptop problem so reimaged it, hoping the problem would go away but it still there. Has anyone come across this problem before. Its really weird. I really thought a reimage would solve the problem. on the server side nothing has changed. Her permission to her user area is fine as well. your help is much appreciated thanks
  6. ranj

    Mac Book Air ?

    I believe its just the Mac book air, wow is it amazing. check out the video on the apple website for the Air, brilliant piece of hardware. Its a new innvoation which has been added in the iphone, itouch and the new air.
  7. Any ideas folks where I could find some good guides on setting up Server 2008. I am keen on playing with the BETA version before the April deadline. If there are any step by step guides out there. Please let me know. # Thanks
  8. do not panic, I found these 1 days are much better than when ofsted was in for a week. If you work in IT technical, chances are you wont see them.
  9. am looking to keep the active directory, the mac network is just a second network. Ahh thats interesting I didn't realise that you couldn't have a . didnt realise that was an invalid character. that could explain it then. thanks
  10. ranj

    Cannot cancel copying

    Not a problem The remote share is on an Adaptec Snap server which is effectively a NAS box. On the apple side I do go to connect to server, make a connection to the snap server and then just drag and drop onto the remote share. It begins copying and most of the time it will just copy happily but occasionally i have found to have problems. Hope this is of some help
  11. ranj

    Cannot cancel copying

    Hi Was wondering if someone might be able to help me, We got an MAC OS Server at our school running 10.4.10 and at the moment to backup our students work from the XRAID I am manually copying the files of the XRAID storage to a remote share on another server. The problem is whilst copying it came up with an error about long file names and then the copying process just hangs. If I click on the X to stop copying it doesnt respond to anything but the server hasn't crashed. Can anyone help me with this problem, I am fairly new to Mac so not sure if this is a common issue. Thanks
  12. Hi Was wondering if someone may be able to help me with an odd issue. We are a school which has an active directory infrastructure. We just had an apple network installed and we want to use the same username we allocate our pupils for them to use on the apple network. I managed to import the majority of our pupils usernames into workgroup manager but about 100 of the pupils have not managed to copy over. The issue is we have 2 types of username formats. With years 8,9,10,11 groups we used the format year started followed by class name and surname (e.g 04qjones) but for our year 7 group we changed the format to year following by firstname.surname (e.g. 07chris.jones) It has managed to not copy any of the new format (07chris.jones). Does anyone know what the reason for this could be? Thanks
  13. does anyone know if gentoo linux runs in a virtual machine?
  14. is that in a whitepaper on the BECTA site, I am trying to look for it. If you could let me know where that information is, it would be much appreciated. thanks
  15. Do you know I just been looking at that. That is really helpful, Thanks Ashok.
  16. Hi everyone. Hope you all had a good new year. Bring on 2008! I looking into a wireless network at my school and have previously had real bad experience with wireless. The school I previously worked had wireless and I think the reason why it didnt work properly was because they weren't using Commerical access points and stuck with the home based equipment and dotted lots of these around the building. It was a nightmare to administer because you had to keep note of every IP for each AP if you needed to make a change and login to every AP if it was a global change. I interested in knowing more about RADIUS server setup but the content I am finding online just seems to confuse me. I have a few questions which I hope someone may be able to answer for me: 1. Am I right in saying that if you have a RADIUS server all AP which are radius compatible can be managed from the server end. So for example if I wanted to change the SSID for the whole wireless network I could simply go onto the RADIUS server make a change there and then the server will broadcast this to all the AP's? 2. The authentication part of radius, does this link in with Active Directory?, so if a user wanted to log onto the network they could use their AD account to authenticate and allow access to the wireless network? or does it run on a separate authentication system. 3. Network access control (NAC) is this a CISCO proprietary thing? and can this work with a RADIUS Server. I appreciate any help on this. If anyone could also point me out with some good companies who may be able to provide me with a solution that would be great. Your help is appreciated
  17. and i thought this was going to be a serious post...
  18. ranj

    Call of Duty 4 WOW!!!

    You want to use a good graphics card for COD4. if you plan to play the latest MOH airborne, you need an even better graphics card. On a poor graphics card MOH just struggles. I had to change my card just to play both games
  19. I completly agree Mike. RAID is a must to keep your users happy with the IT network. RAID is a godsend for us it guys. I decided in the end to use RAID1 as where the current store lies, its on RAID 1 and it seems fine. I have used two huge 750gb WD RE2 enterprise drives and decided to use RAID 1 in the end. I think we be ok.
  20. Hi folks Got a quick question. I am about to setup a new RAID 5 array and plan to to use this array for our exchange 2003 store and DFS. Some admins have said RAID 5 isn't suggested and I am better of using RAID 1. The server used to have a RAID 5 and we only used it for DFS and for this it was fine, but I also need more storage for emails so also plan to move the store onto this new array. I was just wondering if I could get peoples opinions on this Your help is appreciated
  21. Sounds like a loopback to me. I have experienced the same type of problems.
  22. http://www.itidiots.com is a great resource for anyone interesting in knowing the type of content that is involved. Actual full on videos with commentary on how things things. Its great
  23. if you are using OWA, in options you can change the colour scheme.
  24. From Active Directory if you right click an organiation unit, you have the option to export the current list into a CSV file.
  25. Something I wanted to share with you A teacher used a PC and what ever she did she just couldnt get any USB devices to work. checked device manager, restarted PC and nothing seemed to work, even tried to reinstall the drivers and motherboard drivers but didnt seem to work. But when we took out the powercable from the back and took the plug out of the wall. plugged everything back in, all the USB devices magically started to work. Looked into it and apparantly its quite common, there have been some USB and power related issues and disconnecting the power completly for 5 seconds, normally sorts it!!
×
×
  • Create New...