Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

teejay

Members
  • Posts

    3,444
  • Joined

Everything posted by teejay

  1. Desktop Versions of Windows can use the server key.
  2. You install the highest level key you are licensed for, so basically if you are licensed for Windows server through EES then stick in the key for the highest version you have (datacenter or standard), if not then stick the license key in for Windows 8.1 Enterprise. This will then mean all windows versions that are at or below the level of the key will activate, just makes life a lot easier as you wont have to keep changing the key and reactivating the keys if you install higher levels of Windows.
  3. teejay

    Glasses!

    If you've just got them, it would be worthwhile going back to the opticians and getting them to double check that the lenses are correct. I had reactives but found them a right pain, now have normal glasses and prescription sunglasses.
  4. If we include reprographics, about 3 million or more per year. This has gone through the roof as there has been a move from textbooks to in house produced work sheets and workbooks to allow easier differentiation. It would probably be cheaper to buy tablets for all the students tbh, but there is no desire from SLT to go down that route.
  5. As bulbs go we replace the projector with a Casio one. About 90% Casio now, much less hassle.
  6. Try setting the following reg keys (just do this on a test PC first): regsetting: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon "GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue"=dword:00000019 regsetting: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters "DisableDHCPMediaSense"=dword:00000001 This problem usually occurs because the PC is failing to load the remote profile in time and so creates a new one. You also want to look if it's a loading issue on your servers or a network config issue, check with something like wireshark to see if your network is getting swamped with broadcast traffic etc (misbehaving printers are a common cause). Also, check your DNS and DHCP are working properly.
  7. Check you have the 'Always Wait for Network at startup and login' machine group policy set.
  8. A very disturbed young man, a bit worrying from some of the information that's come out from the case that he wasn't apprehended before he attacked.
  9. We're a bit far away up in West Yorkshire, but more than happy for you to visit if you are prepared to travel that far. We have a full VMware infrastructure with Disaster Recovery failover to a separate server room. Could probably do it by video conference if that's easier.
  10. Yep, I'd do it through Solus 3 if I were you, far too many updates in SIMS to be faffing about updating your base image. AFter a few years of pain, Solus 3 really does just work now (I really, really shouldn't say that after the day I've had!).
  11. Getting the itch to play this, need a bit of an upgrade on my PC though, what would be a good graphics card for this that won't break the bank (£100-£150ish)?
  12. I'd also be concerned that the Windows 10 preview has a key logger in it, definitely not for use in a live environment.
  13. Forgot to say, make sure you use the Creative Cloud Packager from the LWS page link that Adobe send you with your licencing, I believe there are different versions of it depending on what agreement you are on.
  14. The Creative Cloud Packager works just fine, we deploy as MSI's through group policy, work perfectly :-) After the pain that used to be deploying Adobe stuff, Cloud Packager is fantastic, probably the easiest deploy we've ever done!
  15. I love and hate it in equal measure, but I would plump for Outlook. I remember when I first started here 12 years ago and the primary means of communication was via notes stuck in pigeon holes.
  16. Fantastic, nice to see somewhere that IT staff get proper facilities, I will be sending those images to our HT
  17. Just make sure you fully understand the consequences of using hosted services of a subsidiary of a US company, please make sure whoever is your data controller is fully aware and signs off on this, it's not a decision to be taken lightly, especially if you are moving staff accounts to the cloud. Some quotes from the ICO taken from a zdnet article:
  18. Firewall and proxy NAT between you and county, pick your own private range, job sorted ;-)
  19. I'm sat in front of a pair of iiyama IPS monitors as I type, they're nice but I miss the Dell U series ones I had :-(
  20. After the thousandth post on Edugeek asking if @X13 is a boy or a girl, he finally snaps and takes his revenge on Edugeek HQ.
  21. +1 for going through the Government purchasing framework, the deals are good and the contracts have much less of a sting in the tail and can't suddenly be changed.
  22. teejay

    F1 Chat

    I actually rather enjoyed the race, yes I'm weird ;-) I did like having the harder tyres as they produced hardly any marbling, which is why cars were able to take different racing lines so you got them going side by side round turn 3 which would've been impossible after a few laps with the softer tyres. There were two main problems that caused cars not to be pushing, the first was the reduction in pit lane speed from 80km/h down to 60 km/h due to the stupidly designed pit entry which is very narrow and has a very sharp corner which made a two stop strategy out of the equation, the second is that all teams are on conservation mode which their engines and power train due to the limit of 5 engines per season with the resulting grid penalties, with just about everyone on their fifth engine.
  23. teejay

    F1 Chat

    They only get carried over for one race (was mentioned in the Sky commentary after they checked the rule book), which is one too many in my opinion as it only affect the teams lower down the order who have enough problems as it is.
  24. Either of those would be fine, it really comes down to how comfortable they feel to use. The other thing is you will need to look at some extra lenses, for events you will need a zoom lens that goes up to about 200-250mm, but make sure you get one that has image stabilisation. It would also be worthwhile getting a 50mm fixed lens as even the cheap ones give cracking results, far better than zoom lenses. Also, get a screw in UV filter for each lens, they're only cheap and saves the lens from getting scratched. A spare battery is useful, plus a tripod and a remote release if you want to get some nice sharp images.
  25. What's it going to be used for?
×
×
  • Create New...