Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

teejay

Members
  • Posts

    3,444
  • Joined

Everything posted by teejay

  1. There's buyitdirect.co.uk in Huddersfield, they run sites like laptops direct.co.uk and also have a direct B2B division. Looking at their careers section they have a few jobs going.
  2. Will be there on Friday, was hoping to do 2 days but that got vetoed, I suppose actually going for the first time in over 10 years is a positive though ;-)
  3. It doesn't matter if they work closely with VMWare, if you are using failover clustering then Microsoft will not support it unless all the hardware is certified for it. Please don't make assumptions on this, it will bite you in the backside if you do.
  4. First thing is to check that all the hardware is actually certified and supported for whatever virtualisation software you're going to use, if it's not you'll not get any support if things go pear shaped.
  5. First thing, go through the house with a fine tooth comb and make sure everything is as expected. Check for things like damage where the previous owners have moved out or things missing that should be there, it's your last chance to get any of this sorted. As you've got a few days, I'd clear out any rubbish and give the house a really good clean. Hire or borrow a carpet cleaner and give the carpets a clean, once the carpets are dry cover them with some carpet protector cling film so they don't get filthy again when you're moving in. Get all the big furniture items in first and get them in the positions you want before bringing in any boxes etc. Wear safety boots/shoes when moving stuff ;-)
  6. You can avoid the autoroutes, the A roads in France are pretty good and nowhere as congested as in the UK. It really depends on how hyper your kids are though, if they're in 'GET US TO DISNEYLAND NOWWW!' mode then autoroute it, if not then use the A roads and have a nosey at some of the places on the way. Be aware the 'service stations' in France are sometimes a bit different to over here, don't be surprised by unisex toilets or in the more rural ones a hedge!
  7. Also check your breakdown cover, some cover Europe, others don't. What you also have to be carefull of is that the policy covers return of the car and yourselves back home in the case where your car breaks down and cannot be repaired in time for your return home. A friend of ours had that happen and it was eye wateringly expensive to get themselves home and then the car.
  8. Those were the days, when you could buy an air pistol from Argos:D Anyone else have one of those Airfix glider kit things, guaranteed to be completely destroyed on first flight
  9. teejay

    F1 Chat

    Mercedes had a lot of problems with their engine when they first tried it in the car, I wouldn't read too much into the Honda problems, especially as they'd tried to bodge the engine into this years car. I think the Honda engine will be very strong next year, more than likely on a par with the Mercedes engine, but McLaren really have a long way to go to get the car anywhere near competitive with the Mercedes, Red Bull and Williams. To be honest though, I'm really not that big a fan of McLaren, Williams have always been my team and I'm really impressed with the way they've re-built the team now, just hope they continue the upward path and start winning some races next year.
  10. If you brake, yes, certainly wouldn't miss gears without braking to the appropriate speed for the gear you're going into. We have big stone walls with no grass verges so you need to ensure you have full control. It's not an uncommon sight to see the arse end of an Audi/BMW rep mobil sticking out from a wall when the driver has tried to break the laws of physics:rolleyes:
  11. Love to see some of you who skip from 2nd to 5th/6th try that up where I live, you obviously don't live anywhere with proper hills:p
  12. You need a fermenting bucket, airlock, pressure barrel, thermometer, hydrometer and the tube to put it in, syphon tube, steriliser and a beer kit which I'd strongly recommend Woodfords Wherry as a starter, cracking kit :-) One of the things that's most important when brewing is temperature control, the best cheap and easy way is to get a plastic container that the fermenting barrel will comfortably fit in and an aquarium heater, fill the container about a third full of water, stick in the heater and bring the water to the recommended temperature for fermentation as per the kit instructions.
  13. Since its pantomime season... Oh yes they are!
  14. Home - School ICT Services are very good, have some really good consultants who will taylor consultancy exactly to your needs and don't do some soft selling for additional products like certain companies. The only problem is they're based in Leeds so not sure if they'll cover your area.
  15. I'd also be checking you haven't got any firewalls in the way blocking UDP 67 or UDP 68.
  16. I've been thinking of doing C25k for a while, after snagging a treadmill in the Amazon Black Friday deals I did my first session tonight. Had a slight problem at first as it's so long since I've ran (we're talking decades) but I do a lot of walking, my brain and body thought running = walking very fast, queue panic and falling off the back of the treadmill:eek: Got back on, put brain in gear and everything went fine from then on:)
  17. Well, got some good deals on the Amazon Black Friday for some Christmas prezzies for the Mrs, some nice bits of jewellery and a watch. Just after I'd ordered them she dropped a not too subtle hint on something else that she would like for Christmas:rolleyes: This is going to get expensive, but she's worth it:D
  18. I'm sure we have a ghost at home, I can be sat there with a pint of beer next to me, next minute the glass is empty and I start to feel a bit light headed. I've tested it quite a few times and and the ghost seems to get more powerful as the evening goes on as I start to quite dizzy...
  19. Sounds like a blocked nozzle, run the head cleaning utlity a few times to see if it will clear.
  20. I reckon they're lovely PC's nicely specced for playing Elite Dangerous and he's going to be giving them away to edugeekers as Christmas presents
  21. Owncloud does what you want - ownCloud.org
  22. We went down that route when we had physical rather than virtual servers, worked pretty well, but just make sure you purchase either an extra server to what you need or a bunch of spare parts. The problem with if you're going using virtual servers is that if the hardware isn't on the hardware compatibility list for the virtualisation software you can pretty much kiss goodbye to support, especially if it's a complex issue.
  23. I must admit, we tend to stick to the same brand of servers and SAN, we had a massive failure with a mix of brands of servers, SAN and swirches on our first attempt with each manufacturer blaming the other for the problem. We now have all Dell with Equalogic SANS and it's been pretty faultless. If you need to work out your IOPS, speak to Dell as they'll run a bit of software called DPack which will compile a report for you on your current server IOPS and storage use. Other manufacturers probably have a similar thing. Also worth considering is some of the blade servers with storage, there's some cracking kit out there now and saves the complexity of switches and SANS. It's certainly something we're considering for our refresh.
  24. You have two options, either upgrade to VMWare 5.5 which supports volumes up to 62TB or create a bunch of 2Tb drives and use software raid. Edit: I'd avoid pass through to a physical disk, you lose a load of features that you get with virtual disks.
  25. Congrats :-)
×
×
  • Create New...