-
Posts
622 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by HMCTech
-
Was too dismayed to comment earlier and it would have come out as anger so I am glad someone has said what needed to be said.
-
Prices have been outlined for the US Microsoft Surface release date and prices revealed | News | TechRadar About £320 for the basic no cover version.
-
If I recall correctly I was only able to get two of the three screws in using a similar mount to that. But it was not that particular mount, it was similar with the four extendable plates. Had more success with a 1150023 - SAHARA - UNIVERSAL PLATE, SAHARA MOUNTS | CPC. The screws on the Casio's are also a lot thinner than on epson, sanyo projectors so you might need some washers.
-
I have Kayako 4.1 working with AD SSO. It doesn't support this out of the box but the community has a hack for it. I would suggest downloading the trial and hacking it as I have to get this working. Our users just click on the link and they are signed in so seems to work well. Help Desk Software, Live Chat Software and Customer Service Software
-
Thin clients using windows embedded
HMCTech replied to HMCTech's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Have made use of the XenDesktop site in kiosk mode, the only really issue now is getting the ctrl-alt-del to be captured on the remote session rather than the local client. -
Never used it but I am sure a lot of people will recommend FOG - A Free Cloning Solution | Free Security & Utilities software downloads at SourceForge.net
-
Very much looking forward to the 920 being released
-
Yes, provide IT facilities for pupils who do not have the means to own a personal device. You wont need to buy a laptop for those pupils. A pool of devices would work. How you would do this depends on your situation. If I was going to recommend a route to you I would suggest our approach of a room in the house which has as many desktops as suitable and have this a work only room which is supervised by the staff on duty. Then once prep is done they can retire to their own rooms and play games on their own laptops if they so wish or have one. If this is not possible then make the school IT room available for the boarders in the evenings or on certain evenings and have the duty staff cover this. Also involve your child protection officer or equivalent to discuss the social implications of pupils requiring financial support being bullied by those that perhaps have access to money. If you don't have this demographic then it's not so much of a problem. If you don't have experienced boarding staff to gain advice from then you will have to go in with the opinion of this is how we think it should be and then realise in a year that perhaps its not quite working out well and change. In terms of bad behaviour I can talk to you privately if you so wish but they will become boarders and like any boarders in any school they will be BORED. Especially during the winter when going outside is cold and wet. It's not just IT, it will be all sorts of things they will get up to. This is not as big of an issue as it was 10 years ago when they had to create their own entertainment before the days of Playstation and DVD libraries. We still have in the housemasters rooms a half built missile that the boarders had built intending to shoot down the inspecting officers helicopter on AGI day.
-
It is bad but I have read rumours that when they launch Phone 8 they will be announcing a replacement Zune aswell
-
the 800 would be able to update to 7.8 (7.9?!) which has the interface of 8 just not some of the functionality. I think its due to be released around December.
-
Each house has their own communal IT room with 15 desktops and a printer which the younger years use during prep (three hours each night apart from Sunday). Sixth form have their own room so use their own laptops for prep. Each boarder has a desk with a network socket with their own laptop which they log on to our SonicWall as themselves. They have different policies for prep time so they cannot access email or social media during prep but can until their bedtimes and the internet is cut off completely at 11pm. If they want to Skype then they are able to outside of prep time but we don't provide the equipment for them to be able to. The common rooms have a wireless access point for iPads and phones, this keeps them from staying in their rooms and being anti social. They are on a separate VLAN for the internet but can also talk to our SAN so they can map a shortcut to their home drives on their laptops to pull work from. Each boarder must present their laptop to the IT Department so their MAC address can be added to the DHCP reservation (no leases). This allows only equipment we know about on to the network. It sounds like this is a new venture for your school, if they plan on having the OFSTED boarding inspection to be able to get on the boarding school lists then you will get marked down if you go down the sole BYOD route. Make enough provision for a child who as an example has military parents where the school fee's are paid for by the military but they are unable to have the finances themselves to pay for a laptop for their child. Make parents and senior managers very aware that no matter what you do and all the effort and money you put it to making sure your internet is locked down as much as you can they will come back from holidays with their own 3G mobile dongles, tether their laptops to their mobiles. I spent days dealing with a boarder who's mother phoned me to tell me her son was posting on Facebook at 2:00 am and saying our network is not what we said it was when really the mother had just bought her son a new iPhone which of course has unfiltered 24/7 internet access. PM me or ask on here if you have any questions. I am the assistant housemaster of the boys boarding house so can probably give you any info you may need or need some examples of any bad IT related behaviour we have dealt with in the past.
-
I understand that closing an application and taking you back to the start screen is not what you are used to and prefer it the other way. But I personally find it actually pretty useful. My live tiles are all connected to my exchange account and I have been put back to the start screen and seen notifications and updates on my calendar, email or news tile that I need to do that I may well have missed until I had opened my calendar or outlook. I now find myself going to the top left and dragging down on windows 7 to switch open applications. This is just my opinion that I have worked on Windows 8 for a few months now and it has become my "norm". Not everyone will feel the same but positive opinions on a product are just as valid as negative ones.
-
I am getting on fine with Windows 8.. for personal use and my personal work desktop and laptop. I look forward to my work PC being Windows 8, Laptop being Windows 8, Work Phone being Phone 8 and getting a Surface Pro and enjoying them all syncing.
-
We currently have about 100 Wyse clients on UNIX that boot to an FTP server which gives it some configuration details of the Citrix pool to connect to. So when a user powers on the devide they get the VDI log in screen. We have a few Samsung and wyse boxes that are using Windows Embedded Standard. I am curious as to how other people are using windows embedded and getting their users connected to the virtual desktop pool.
-
BBC News - Man freed after getting his head stuck in bin in Aberdeen
-
I keep trying to push this through as come September when the new timetabled rooms are entered into the system July seems to fill up very quickly....
-
Another for Room Booking System - Online Room Booking Software it is great for ICT rooms and Theatres. The support is also brilliant and we have had several features we need put in to the systems over the past year.
-
We use ClarionCall for emailing and texting parents
-
If you have SharePoint this could be done quite easily with InfoPath forms and workflows.
-
No as I said there are no options in add or remove windows features for remote admin tools and I played about with this on Friday. Is just a mystery then.
-
I must be loosing it as I am having issues finding the tools. Once I install the updater I was expecting to find the new tools in Administrative Tools but no new ones. I looked in windows features and there are no remote server admin tools installed. going slightly barmy
-
Had 10 minutes last night before going out so I sat and did the train ride intro with a cup of tea, so many good memories!
