-
Posts
2,502 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesb
-
Italc: Couple of questions
jamesb replied to superatticman's topic in Network and Classroom Management
I don't know much about ITalc, so this may be bad advice, but if IP address is working and computer name isn't it might help. Does your student DHCP server register its leases in your staff DNS server? It sounds like ITalc looks up in here for DNS. If you have a DNS server on your other subnet, can you direct the computer you want to use for management to use it as a secondary DNS, or set up a forwarder on your staff DNS server? -
Taking into account all things, its much cheaper for me to drive to work than to walk or use public transport. Driving - 6 minutes, LPG engine so works out around £1 for fuel at most. Same travelling home. The van's cheap to maintain (and the cost should be fairly spread around all the travelling I do, so with an upkeep of maybe £1500 a year including tax and insurance and a mileage over 10 000 I'm paying £0.15 per mile for upkeep. Work is four miles by road, so we're looking at under £2 per journey) Bus - £2.90 into town after a maximum of an hour's wait at the bus stop. Average wait is twenty minutes. Then a further £2 to work afterwards. Total time taken is at least an hour, and that's on a good day. It can take that long to get into town, then its another half-hour wait for a bus to work, and as much as a half-hour again into work. Call it an average of an hour. £4.90 per journey. Walking - Despite the fact that work is four miles by road that's an A road, bordered on both sides by private fields. In order for me to walk into work is ten mile trek. Free, but uses up 2.5 hours. Now given that I consider my time to be valuable, even if I just assign it a value of £2 per hour, driving is by far and away the only sensible way for me to travel to work. I actually rate my time a bit higher than that since for example having time before I leave for work means I can make myself breakfast, and a lunch. Otherwise I'd be looking at buying one. Equally coming home late leaves me rarely wanting to cook, so a quick trip home saves money there too. It doesn't matter how many sticks they try to throw at me, the van is simply the most sensible option. A carrot in the form of a quick, easy trip to work by bus might persuade me otherwise however.
-
Edit - Must remember to read the whole thread before posting.
- 24 replies
-
- market share
- mis
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Well mine beats all of yours... Ancient Toshiba with a P3 and a whole gig of memory. Plus a third-hand 10GB hard drive. Still runs thought. Hah!
-
So...Windows? I have to say I see Macs in pretty much the same way as I view designer clothes - more fashion than function.
-
Stop the net logon service?
-
I've used OSX on Apple hardware before, it didn't persuade me to buy an Apple, nor do I feel any real desire to use it again. I'll stick with Windows and Linux on hardware of my choosing thanks.
-
So let me just get this right. Your complaint about Microsoft is that you find it easier to steal software from them rather than legally purchase it? May I recommend to you not using it at all if you dislike it so much, rather than being a thief? As for Apple, I'm quite certain if they didn't lock it down to only their own overpriced hardware there would be just as many illicit copies of their various Linux versions on computers.
-
Do Apple sell memory sticks? I suppose technically you could have an install on one of them if they did.
-
Naturally its a deliberate mistake. Its an undocumented feature that some helpfiles contain - proof-reader training.
-
I was close at least. I've noticed that in a lot of papers they seem to believe that 'charged with' and 'arrested under suspicion of' are the same thing. I wonder if that's the case here? (Can't read the article as I'm at work at the moment)
-
Self-defense isn't a charge though, its a defense. He will still be guilty of attempted murder, or of Grevious Bodily Harm, depending on the circumstances but claiming self-defense should let him go without penalty. Claiming self-defense will not stop you being arrested, or even charged. It will stop you suffering the full consequences of your actions under the law, since you were protecting yourself, but it does not make you less guilty of the offense committed. Therefore the police did exactly what they were supposed to do and I wouldn't fault them for it. They arrested everyone involved where evidence pointed towards them having committed a crime. Whether its worth actually pressing charges, and appropriate to do so, is a matter for the CPS, not a matter for the officers on scene.
-
The girl's nine, she shouldn't have to stay in even a large shaded area when she could be running around on the grass with the other kids. There's limits to health and safety. Very few people are allergic to sunscreen, and mostly it causes an irritating rash. More people are likely to suffer sunburn than from the allergy, and sunburn can be very serious. Therefore any sane person would see that there's nothing wrong with allowing the suncream. If you really want to be paranoid about it, insist only hypoallergenic sun cream is brought into schools.
-
To RM or not to RM, that is the question...
jamesb replied to Little-Miss's topic in Network and Classroom Management
No, you can't use AD as you would normally in general - or at least that was my experience with CC3 at one school and with Ranger at another. Trying to apply GPOs can cause clashes, there are settings which RM software ignores or switches off. All of your users are managed by RM and the RM tools, and trying to use the native tools can blow up various things in nasty ways, so you don't really learn Vanilla user management. Finally there's the biggest issue I had with CC3 - renaming computers. In order to rename a workstation you had to rebuild the entire thing from scratch. Prevents using the names for any purpose which means they might have to change. -
Definitely personal preference - I actually prefer an old fashioned keypad, and I'm not that fussed about a touchscreen.
-
Having spent a large part of today scripting with them (quiet day at work), PowerShell and .net Framework.
-
I suspected it was an urban legend, but Snopes spoils everything. What happened to the days when we were allowed myth and legend?
-
Didn't you know? Nowadays you have to take them to a vet to be put down, otherwise the RSPCA get involved.
-
More like Microsoft with every passing minute
jamesb replied to cookie_monster's topic in General Chat
Not at all, I'm only singling out Google because they were the one that came up. I have rants prepared against many companies, but Google are the one under discussion at this moment in time. Letting customers using their advertising services know exactly what they're spending their money on and where and how their adverts will appear. Going back to their old method of preventing bidding on registered trademarks where the trademark owner has raised a complaint about their competitors being able to purchase searches on that trademark. Not bringing in exceptionally dodgy systems like 'automatic matching' as opt-in systems. Not violating copyright on a massive scale in order to secure an unfair monopoly on out-of-print books. Those'd be good for starters. Nope, the recycling plant is run by a little old lady I know using a solar furnace. Besides, she knits very stylish tinfoil hats. -
More like Microsoft with every passing minute
jamesb replied to cookie_monster's topic in General Chat
Of course not, but that doesn't make it any better. The courts are currently investigating it. The evidence is quite clear, as are the objections by various associations. The Co-op are what they say, they're a co-operative of members who include many of their customers. No pretense, no secrecy. The Bodyshop are equally open about their processes, these companies are willing to back up their claim to ethics. Google are secretive to conspiratorial levels. I use only ethically recycled aluminium foil, thereby contributing to world peace and happiness. -
More like Microsoft with every passing minute
jamesb replied to cookie_monster's topic in General Chat
There are a few big companies I don't fear, when they're at least somewhat honest about their motives. Also when they're not trying to track every single bit of data about me. And yet Google is ignoring this. I don't wake up in the morning and say 'I'll do no evil today', I just don't do it because its blatantly obvious. Someone who needs to remind themself to do no evil has something seriously wrong with their priorities. I only use ethically sourced tinfoil from local companies. -
More like Microsoft with every passing minute
jamesb replied to cookie_monster's topic in General Chat
I don't trust big companies, I'll admit that. Plus Google has too much data-gathering, and more importantly too much influence over information for my liking. The potential damage they could do is huge. I try to keep up to date on it, and there's definitely something dodgy about the deal Google struck with American authors and publishers - a deal which covers international authors and publishers. The Red Cross don't try and make a profit, different thing entirely. More importantly they've never felt it necessary to state that they're not evil. They're the height of fashion! I accept that I'm paranoid, but it doesn't mean they're not out to get me. I'd rather be wrong and a fool, than change my mind and be both wrong, and brainwashed. You mark my words, the Bilderberg group will turn out to be behind Google. -
More like Microsoft with every passing minute
jamesb replied to cookie_monster's topic in General Chat
I just don't think a lack of official judgment in the presence of evidence should prevent caution. Its quite clear that they're guilty in this case. They went ahead and scanned books, ignoring all copyright laws. They then settled in a way which gives them a monopoly over all orphaned works - including the right to sell them. That, incidentally, means that an author outside the states who has not registered his right to his work in the states does not have his copyrighted protected with regards to Google, while it is protected under US law. I've said it before and I'll say it again, any company with a motto of 'Don't be evil', no matter how unofficial, has to have some reason for it. I don't trust any of them either. Me and my tinfoil hat are fine right here thanks. -
More like Microsoft with every passing minute
jamesb replied to cookie_monster's topic in General Chat
My point was more that there's very little difference except that they've lost a court case, and google haven't yet. Incidentally I noticed today that Google are facing investigations by the EU as well as the US regarding their orphaned works monopoly. As to the fact that Microsoft's so much larger - I know they're an evil monopoly, but they admit it. My problem is that Google don't admit it, and seem to take a lot of people in. And for those charts, I refuse to consider them trustworthy information regarding Google. Look at the source. -
I don't pay that much for mine, and don't forget Orange Wednesdays now applies to pizza as well. Magic numbers are handy too, but its all about the bits of your contract work for you.
