Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesb

Members
  • Posts

    2,502
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesb

  1. jamesb

    TrueBlood

    In that case, have a look at Laurell K Hamilton.
  2. jamesb

    TrueBlood

    They're the Sookie Stackhouse series aren't they? I've read a few of them (first two I think) but they were borrowed and until recently I've had trouble tracking them down. Currently got the first three on my eReader waiting for me to get around to them.
  3. Bear in mind that 2008 R2 is not just an upgrade to 2008 server. Also remember that its not yet on general release. Just a couple of things to keep in mind. As to the upgrade, I'd imagine you'd be best off decommissioning the old server first, cleanly, then running the upgrade, then commissioning the upgraded server. Once that's done it should then sit there and replicate from your other DCs. At a guess you'll then need to do a domainprep and forestprep if you want to move your domain to 2008 R2 native level (if there is such a thing).
  4. jamesb

    Virus or No Virus?

    No matter the computer, its always worth having AV. There are viruses now for all OSes as far as I'm aware - including a handful of proof-of-concepts for phones.
  5. Warpath by Synthetic Reality's always a good one, and they've got a good handful of other good network games there. There's also a nice MMORPG one which they make, with a very easy world/story-building system if you feel like letting the kids do some of their own design.
  6. You never know, they might do something sensible and apply common sense to the bureaucracy, reducing the unnecessary administrative overhead. Yeah, I know -
  7. If you go into SharePoint Central Administration page, and the operations tab, you should find Alternate Access Mappings. Hopefully this'll do what you're after. Try setting up an alternate access mapping with just a url and no port, and pointing the load-balancer at that one. All of the AAMs will need to be unique though.
  8. Use PowerShell? Lets you do it with regular expressions, which might make things much easier for you.
  9. Really? I got mine three weeks ago.
  10. I have a small stack of the vouchers they send on my desk, and keep on recommending it to my colleagues. Don't work in a school though, so I can't try and persuade the school to start funding it.
  11. Just wanted to comment on this, as I'm quite impressed with the company. Started getting one of their boxes for lunch four days a week now, and its great. Healthy, tasty, wonderful food, not expensive for what it is and amazingly convenient. Even though fresh fruit is currently off because of the postal strike, I've been more than happy with the replacements and I've yet to have a box delayed.
  12. Given that there are large organisations still running Windows 2000 domains, or DOS, I wouldn't worry too much. There's enough of a range out there that everyone can find a niche. Many don't use VLANs, or virtualization for the majority of staff anyway, so even in a very large organisation you might never see some of this stuff, unless you've been hired specifically to support it.
  13. Can you ping your domain from it? Not the DC, just your domain. If not try adding an appropriate DNS record somewhere, pointing your domain name at the IP address of one of your DCs, then see if it'll let you join.
  14. Sorry, I should've clarified, the irrelevant comment wasn't about your post but the definition of a good book. Its an individual thing, you decide for yourself whether something's good or not, whether its a book, food, a show, or a computer.
  15. There's more kinds of health than just the body. Besides which I walk into town about once a week (14 miles each way), run regularly, fence and exercise for a minimum of 20 minutes each day. Plus reading a book is at least more interactive and energetic than watching television.
  16. Yep. Either assigning it to another network card, or even to the same one, and telling ISA to forward requests for that IP address (with appropriate filtering of course).
  17. If you want to publish it through ISA to allow them in, rather than just publishing it directly, then you'll want to assign the external IP address to the ISA server and forward requests from there to the SharePoint server. Assigning the external IP to the SharePoint server itself and publishing it directly to the internet for RDP could be a little risky.
  18. Pretty much irrelevant. Everyone can define good books for themselves, the main point is that readers are just better.
  19. Not to mention polaroid cameras lasting so long, until digital cameras became an option.
  20. Sounds about right. If you don't need people to access domain 1 from domain 2 then the easiest way is to set up a one-way trust between the two. If I remember correctly (and I may not, the language gets a bit confusing) you'll want a one-way outgoing trust from domain 1 to domain 2. Then just set up a few universal groups, sort out memberships and permissions, and that should be everything.
  21. So how's going? Reading's a good, healthy activity.
  22. I read fast when I have nothing else to do - generally I can get through two on the plane if its a long flight. Even on a short flight I'll usually finish off one.
  23. It took me about five minutes to puzzle out the new ribbon, very similar to things like the old Delphi interface and a lot more sensible than cramming up the screen with hundreds upon hundreds of toolbars. I don't think I've found anything which requires more than three clicks: one to the right tab, second to the button, third to the individual command if I want something more specific. ...um...its running on my old laptop, a very battered, fairly low-specced machine. In fact I have a netbook which has more power than that laptop. And it runs just fine thanks. Vista meanwhile used to barely crawl along. I'd say that's a step forwards. Take a deep breath. Step away from the computer for a bit. Go watch a film, or play football in the park. You seem to be heading for some sort of breakdown.
  24. See, if more people thought like that we'd be working with papyrus scrolls still instead of books. Change isn't necessarily a good thing, but should be considered on its own rather than as automatically a bad thing. I notice that most of the comments against the new interface only have the complaint that its unfamiliar, or a change, whereas most of the positive comments say that its more efficient, or makes tasks easier.
  25. Looks like its not possible by default, but there are workarounds: Sharepoint Tips And Tricks: A Lookup to the sub sites Edit: I take it back, misunderstood slightly. Try having a look through this thread: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/conversation.aspx?messageid=30321359&threadid=30321359 It looks like the Documentation on DataForm Webpart, Rollup webpart or Content Query Webpart are what you're looking for.
×
×
  • Create New...