bknaggs
Members-
Posts
465 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by bknaggs
-
Youtube doesn't like ad blockers
bknaggs replied to bknaggs's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Thanks for the suggestion. My setup is actually Edge + Ublock origin and I've not seen ads or the alert from YouTube. Having said that even when I've tried in Chrome without Ublock I've still not seen the warning or before I changed the Smoothwall policy any adverts. This could actually be the push I needed to convince people to let me get rid of Chrome and just have Edge installed. -
Just looking at the purchase page - https://examwritepad.com/purchase/ - and there is now only a one year option priced at £499 + VAT
-
Is anyone else running Smoothwall (Leeds 78 but in this case the user is purely Cloud Filter) blocking adverts but running into Problems accessing YouTube? I've had two reports this week from Teachers that they can't play videos and are instead getting a message saying Ad blockers violate YouTube's terms of service. Short of removing my content modification that Removes YouTube adverts is there anything that can be done?
-
Cheers. I did that and they provided information I already knew which wasn't working. It turns out the app wants to talk UDP on port 443 which appears to be the quik protocol.
-
Has anyone ever come across the Ecat iOS app and managed to make it work through a Smoothwall? Looking in the logs I'm not seeing any blocks for any URLs ending ecat.co (or login is schoolname.ecat.co) but when trying to login to the app I'm presented with a message saying No Internet Connection. Normally this would match up with a nice pink entry in the Smoothwall log that I can use as the start of a rule to allow or bypass https inspection but here absolutely nothing. I'm seeing some entries for doh.umbrella.com, dns.umbrella.com, doh.opendns.com and dns.opendns.com around the same time which has me wondering if it's trying to use DNS over https and can't.
-
Make sure the board is on before going full screen in PowerPoint.
-
The iPad Air 2 might be too old or not have enough capacity to support what you’re trying to do. Although I’d expect Meraki would know that.
-
Cloudstrike, Azure, Google, etc. When cloud computing goes wrong...
bknaggs replied to Koldov's topic in General Chat
Does anyone else suddenly feel out of their depth because they hadn’t even heard of Crowdstrike before Friday? Imposter syndrome isn’t something I normally have but it’s appeared these last few days. -
I think SIMS should be compatible as of this years spring release but haven’t tested it yet.
-
Are you logged in with the correct Apple ID? That feels like the only thing that would return no existing certificates.
-
Smoothwall Cloud Filter logs ?
bknaggs replied to 2097's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Once everyone logs out it syncs. In my experience it's well under a minute for a policy change to apply. -
Planet E-Stream Live Streams and smoothwall
bknaggs replied to stgoodyeara's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
https://www.planetestream.academy/support/techdocuments/pdf/Firewall%20Port%20Requirements.pdf Does this help? Live streams are quite often on different ports to 80/443 -
We run 3CX with Voiceflex SIP lines.
-
Sky TV via satellite + Broadband through (copper) phone line. Possible?
bknaggs replied to Koldov's topic in General Chat
Sky Q appears to still be a thing so I can't see why not - https://www.sky.com/tv/sky-q -
OneDrive or Google Drive feel like the obvious options.
-
Smoothwall not allowing Replits to work
bknaggs replied to kennysarmy's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Adding a UDP rule doesn't make a difference. Bringing up the Dev tools in Edge gives me WebSocket connection to 'wss://4b44d6cc-e637-420a-99fb-c9926acbf1d0-00-393cmxdpyvuip.janeway.replit.dev:5900/' failed: This is going through Smoothwall cloud filter in our case and bypassing the local box. -
Smoothwall not allowing Replits to work
bknaggs replied to kennysarmy's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I got it working yesterday putting a firewall rule in place to allow TCP traffic out on port 5900 but it's stopped working today. Destination is still the same. I haven't tried adding a UDP rule to allow port 5900. I'll try that now. -
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question so apologies if it's in the wrong place. Currently we use Trustwave Mailmarshal on premise as our email filter and are generally happy with it. We are looking though to move to a cloud based solution after having migrated from on premise Exchange to Exchange online. What email filtering are you all using? Just looking for suggestions at the moment.
-
We’ve got options here - Greater Manchester - of Openreach or Brsk. Both come from the telegraph pole following the same path our copper line currently takes. A friend in Oxfordshire has fibre to his house via the pole too. Check the pole that serves your house and if you see multiple boxes at the top then it’s likely this will be your route.
-
How long does it take to get to the error state? If it's taking an hour or more it could be that your database is huge which can cause timeouts. We had a problem when out database was over 60GB. The ulitmate solution was to manually run a patch to clear everything apart from the last 12 months worth of InTouch messages.
-
There's a footnote talking about regional pricing. I definitely took it to mean that it will be available in the UK.
-
It probably is but don't worry as I've got (a lot) more than that with an ongoing project to try and tidy things up.
-
Smoothwall blocking links in emails
bknaggs replied to fiza's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
We’ve seen the same. Smoothwall box not happy but cloud filter allows. -
Impero - teacher 16:9 | student 4:3 - share screen
bknaggs replied to timbo343's topic in Educational Software
Is rearranging the monitors so student rooms are all 4:3 an option? -
https://educationblog.microsoft.com/en-us/2024/04/windows-10-end-of-support-updates-for-education Education pricing looks very un-Microsoft for those devices that can’t be updated (officially) to Windows 11. $1 per device for year one, $2 for year two and $4 for year three.
