Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Primus

Members
  • Posts

    2,232
  • Joined

Everything posted by Primus

  1. We haven't seen that issue with 20H2 at all. I know you're now moving on from 1709 but to say it worked so solidly you were in no rush until now does seem to forget you've had no security updates for it since October 2020. We've found it easier with Windows 10 to stay reasonably current rather than sitting for several years on one release - that was the small issues you might get moving from version to version are more easily handled since you've got fewer of them each time rather than skipping releases and then seeing quite a few issues
  2. Salamander are awesome. One of the best things we’ve ever bought.
  3. I can heartily recommend moving your repositories to ReFS - what a massive time saving for a synthetic full and a space saving too!
  4. Have you added the custom attribute to their Google accounts? Roger's guide (https://wpsit.blogspot.com/2021/03/google-login-and-single-sign-on-to.html) is excellent.
  5. This is true but I'm sure the DfE also provided funding for setting up M365 or Google Workspace if you didn't currently have students enrolled in one or the other.
  6. You'd hope the agency would do this but if they don't the prospective tenant can always ask.
  7. Speaking as someone who is a (reluctant) landlord, if you've offered the rent they were asking for then I'd assume they will accept you provided you pass the credit check. You probably don't realise it but the number of people with bad credit is astonishing and the very least the landlord is looking for is that the rent is paid on time. It's also a sign you're able to manage obligations in general - eg. if something is wrong with the property then you'll let the landlord know. That said I had a tenant (who'd passed a credit check no problem) where the bathroom fan had broken, because of Covid the agency weren't doing inspections and then months later she complained about the bathroom always being damp etc. If she'd just let me know I'd have had the fan fixed/replaced and she'd not have had months of a damp bathroom etc. It's enough to drive you mad! It's pointless proceeding with anything until a prospective tenant can prove their credit and affordability. I would only take a property off the market once those checks had been completed successfully and we were therefore proceeding. I've had so many prospective tenants that can't pass the credit check or then find a guarantor etc - it's a real pain.
  8. Yeah that's me, I've got a one on the beta now but it's still the same, I can't actually now export the logs because there's so little space available on the drive. Their support has been an utter joke on this.
  9. From Google's own documentation: Specifies whether enrolled Chrome devices delete all locally-stored settings and user data every time a user signs out. Data the device synchronizes persists in the cloud but not on the device itself. If you set it to Erase all local user data, the storage available to the users is limited to half the RAM capacity of the device. If the policy is set together with a Managed Guest Session, it won't cache the session name or avatar. Note: By default, Chrome devices encrypt all user data and automatically clean up disk space when shared by multiple users. This default behavior works best for most deployments and ensures data security and an optimal user experience. We recommend you enable Erase all local user data rarely and selectively.
  10. Google support are once again being hopeless, having asked me to move the device to a test OU and force it to update to a beta OS they are now asking what version it was running prior to the beta going on. How am I meant to know that - that's the sort of thing you ask me before you ask me to force it onto a new beta OS. Is anyone else getting anywhere with it? The beta OS hasn't made any difference.
  11. If you update the GPO by adding the new cert it will work.
  12. It's ages since we did it but I think the only changes we had to make were for SIMS. Do you use SIMS?
  13. Just wondered if we were any closer on moving the site to HTTPS?
  14. I know you probably don't want to hear this but it's a good idea to leave the Windows firewall enabled and just punch holes for required services.
  15. They're pretty much damned if they do and damned if they don't.
  16. Google's own documentation says you shouldn't have to use the erase local data function. Does it still show on the admin console the list of recent users as I'm sure that was one of the downsides of erasing local data?
  17. Ours is mainly Dell 3100 - Google once again going off half baked - they thought it was a device specific issue, even though I found an example of an HP model we have with the same issue!
  18. It's an interesting stat and totally flies in the face of what we've been seeing. However I am also aware of plenty of families who are refusing to test and how many young people who are meant to be self isolating are going out and about meeting friends etc. Sadly we've even had students trying to get in who've been told to self isolate because they're a contact.
  19. I'm not sure if you meant to but your post sounds a little bit like you're accusing some schools of overreacting? Obviously every school is different but our students have mainly been taught as form classes for everything, in one room and the rooms are quite small as it's a new build school. In those circumstances you can't reasonably say that there are any students in the room that wouldn't be a close contact IMO. They've spent all day together in a small room with relatively limited circulation. Sadly it has been our experience that 1 student in a class testing positive is not the end of the positive tests for that class - we've seen plenty of examples of other students in the same class going on to test positive and some were sitting at the opposite side of the (fairly small) room so it's not always predictable. Obviously you can never be certain where someone contracts it from but we've seen enough incidents of this for it to be a strange coincidence if it's not linked.
  20. What model are people seeing this with?
  21. Go on, blow it away, you know you want to - what's the worst that could happen?!
  22. I've pushed back very strongly, we're enterprise customers and obviously paid for the management licence for each Chromebook but they seem to forget that and treat us like users of a free service expecting us to do huge amounts of leg work to diagnose an issue they've introduced. If I had to hear the first guy say "expected behaviour" one more time I'd have lost it and trashed my phone I think.
  23. I'm not sure that's right, it means it's 4 days since they were in contact with someone who has gone on to have a test (that has been positive) - likely because they've become symptomatic. PCR results seem to be coming back within 24h still as far as we've seen here. So it's no indication it's taking 4 days for a test to be processed as far as I can see?
  24. Anyone else experiencing this please log it with Google support. They're having difficulty grasping what is plainly obvious. One of their requests today was I wipe a device and then log in with 25 different accounts to see when it got full - even after I proved to them today that once it's full you can't get logs off so it would be pointless as they couldn't get the diagnostic logs. The chap yesterday on the phone spent 40 minutes telling me it was expected behaviour - despite the fact we've run hundreds for years and never had a single issue and nor have we changed anything. As support experiences go this has been very frustrating which is annoying as they're usually good with Google.
  25. Something has changed recently and I've got a ticket open with Google support. We've never ever had the erase policy turned on and over years and hundreds of Chromebooks we've had zero issues. Now all of a sudden we're seeing them fill up like crazy and I've got hundreds at 100% full. I'm also frustrated as it turns out in Chrome 90 they moved the default save location for screenshots/screen recordings to the local storage - previously it respected the download location which we forced to Google Drive - I can't understand why they'd do this, it's a backwards step from having everything save into your Google Drive. Especially given how little onboard storage Chromebooks have and how students won't necessarily use the same Chromebook each time.
×
×
  • Create New...