Sibrows
Members-
Posts
319 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Sibrows
-
Cyber security is a massive one for me. Proactive monitoring keeps falling down my list too.
-
Hours: 36 hours per week, 52 weeks per year (part-time hours would be considered for the right person) Salary Range: Surrey Pay S10 - £40,227 to £44,619 Required from 1st March 2022 Closing date for applications: Wednesday 26th January at 10am. Interviews will take place on Tuesday 8th February 2022. Full details; https://www.wokinghigh.surrey.sch.uk/about-us/employment-opportunities
-
We found Google’s Remote Desktop very ‘hit and miss’ with more occasions where it didn’t work than it did
-
Are you just using their APs or switches as well? What are you using for a firewall? The L3 features in UniFi are very limited.
-
Happy to print it on Monday. The ‘trouble and strife’ got annoyed with my 3D printer living on the kitchen side (can’t understand why) it’s now on the workbench at work.
-
Thanks all, as @steohenPink has said we're looking at consumer grade as the touch screen isn't needed and with a supplier like Richer Sounds prepared to include 6 year warranty in the £700 price tag some of the shortcomings and workarounds are worth consideration
-
Hi All, I can see lots of threads with people having similar issues but we're looking at rolling out large screens to replace projectors these don't have the freeze image function which is turning into more of a sticking point that I'd like. Is anyone aware of a device to sit inline with the HDMI input to achieve this? I'm aware of the option to extend the desktop but we're hoping to roll out Chromecasts to allow us to transition away from HDMI cables to the faceplates that seam to just get broken repeatedly. I fear I'm looking for something that doesn't exist but thought it was worth an ask. Thanks in advance. Simon
-
Are you looking forward to getting stuck in to all your Summer jobs!
Sibrows replied to kennysarmy's topic in General Chat
Looking forward to getting away from the constant interruptions and walk ins to be able to crack on an get some bits ticked off the list. -
Without a shadow of a doubt get an MDM, Meraki is fine but trying to manage the iPads individually is going to give you an unnecessary headache. I would consider getting some outside help if, based on your post, this is out of your comfort zone. Get someone to get Apple School Manager all setup and functioning correctly and so your ready for the inevitable next batch or class set Your reseller should be able to help or there are plenty of other suppliers who can assist.
- 3 replies
-
- ipads
- ipads deployment
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Don’t underestimate the sense checking that is needed when validating this data we’ve had parents who haven’t spelt their child’s name correctly as an example. I believe there is a SIMS data import option but I’ve not had any involvement in that side of it. We have written our form from scratch as our need for the logic of if this option is ticked ask this question quickly outstripped the capabilities of Microsoft Forms. But we now use one form for all new students and it walks them through signing up for the 1:1 device scheme including gift aid and direct debits.
-
Random question of the day; anyone found a decent infographic to explain the hot mess that is USB C? Got chatting to a friend last night and can’t help but feeling there must be something out there the explain USB C the different data speeds, with and without power delivery then Thunderbolt 3/4 or USB4. A quick Google turned up some bits for thunderbolt but not recent and definitely not the complete picture (so to speak).
-
Hi All, Looking at deploying some form of multi-platform display casting technology. After some investigation our cost-vs-functionality leave us seriously considering rolling out Chromecasts. - Support for Windows via Chrome. - Support for ChromeOS. - iOS support isn't as polished but do'able and less of a requirement more of a nice to have for us. We've looked at the Microsoft Wireless display adapters that get a good review from those using them here but they are costly and not cross platform. We got one of the EZCast devices in which was OK but more expensive than a Chromecast and we preferred the 'branding options' with Chromecasts; the ability to display custom photos on all screens when not in-use thus expanding the existing digital signage was attractive. I've found some of the limitations around not supporting WPA2-Enterprise and plan to resolve them using MAC address filtering. Student access will be limited using separate SSIDs for staff and students onto separate VLANs. Is there anything else I've overlooked? Has anyone else done this in a similar way and know of any likely issues? To answer the obvious question(s) staff are all using Windows laptops and students are all on Chromebooks. Thanks in advance. Simon
-
I’ve had good experience with pfsense before moving to a central firewall on the trust’s VPLS.
-
What MFA hardware tokens are you using with O365 / G Suite?
Sibrows replied to pete's topic in Cloud Services
Yubikey for both my teams. The equivalent Authenticator App on their personal phone for anyone else. -
Role: IT Systems Manager School: St. John the Baptist School, Woking, Surrey Closing Date: Midday on Monday 12 April Salary: S8-S9 (£31,273 - £39,246) FTE Start Date: May/June 2021 Details and application pack: https://w.sjb.school/about/vacancies/ Any questions feel free to PM me (Its my current role I'm moving on to another school).
-
Thanks Steve, having tested it that is what I'm after. Still trying to get my head around the various different options
-
So I'm very familiar with M$365 now supporting a secondary school using Google Workspace. Looking to find something simular to flagging the email for review which I achieve within an email rule on Exchange Online. Based on a list of key words for things like 'my number is', 'I want to kill myself' etc . . . I've tried 'Googling' various things but I can't find it and having had a dig through the compliance settings I can't see a rule that doesn't just quarantine the email and notify the end user. Thanks in advance
-
I take it that there hasn't been any movement that anyone is aware of on this for the UK?
-
Anyone purchased the standard Adobe Accounts for students? i.e. the standard subscription for teachers/students? That’s where I’m being encouraged I’m struggling to justify it.
-
We have major issues getting the Censornet captive portal to show on devices so are looking to move away from them in the new year.
-
If your not happy with a VPN have a look at Zero Tier. Used it a lot both personally and professionally. Very happy with it as a solution.
-
Embedding OneDrive/Sharepoint documents into a 'normal' webpage
Sibrows replied to Sibrows's topic in Cloud Services
Overnight I've logged a case with M$ to get the issue investigated. -
Has anyone managed to get Word/Excel documents embedded in a non-SharePoint publicly accessible website? According to Microsoft it is officially supported (MS KB Article) but when I use the 'File > Share > Embed' option in the web based version of Word/Excel this defaults to only allowing users within our tenant access. I'm fairly sure this could be resolved by adjusting the defaults within the admin sharing options but for obvious reasons I don't want to do that for the entire tenant. Which lead me to this YouTube video ( ). TLDW; essentially use the share option and add '' to the end of the URL in the iframe. Looks promising but my results have been inconsistent. Works fine in Firefox. Doesn't work in Chrome. Works in Safari on MacOS. Doesn't work in Safari on iOS or iPadOS. So dig a little further the blog post attached to the YouTube video above links to a more detailed (MS KB Article) suggesting it is supported but also has a small number of comments with some people having it working and some not (nothing conclusive). Have I missed something? To answer the obvious question; we don't just want to link to a word document that can be downloaded as we want staff to be able to edit the document without having to pass it back through our developer I keep being told 'gSuite does this out of the box' which isn't helpful. Thanks in advance Simon
-
Used MS Distribution, Amazon and then most recently Ubiquiti's EU store.
