CyberNerd
Members-
Posts
9,169 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by CyberNerd
-
It's actually a fairly good business model to convince schools they will get a 'saving' with EES while making it difficult to buy out of the scheme. Looks like buying all my perpetual licenses for Win7 two yrs ago is starting to pay off. I shouldn't need to spend a penny with MS until something like 2017.
-
When checking how much money they had pledged I noticed there is another 'perk' - two for $1400. Not quite as good as the $600 deal yesterday though. The 5000 available yesterday 'sold' quickly and there are only 2000 available at two for $1400 so you'd have to be quick. I had another thought that since Canonical is based in UK there may not be an import duty??? Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo
-
Reading the email (which I pm'd to OP) it says minimum of 150 staff users so that may be why quotes seem higher than $10 per member of staff if the minimum cost is $1500 per year.
-
I had a quote from Google edu and it is $10 per member of staff per year. Students are free. I'll PM his email address to you.
-
Is it anything to do with proxy and password changes? Just that we have a similar issue in that on first logon https sites won't load through smoothwall but are fine after the fisrt logon and passwords have been reset. Just something to think about...
-
ok I pledged £400. plus 20% duty or whatever should be around £500. Either I'm going to be very sorry or I'll make £300 out of it. Knowing my luck it will be the former.
-
I'm still quite tempted. They've "sold" over 1000 of the 5000 available at that price. I recon it would resell quite well on ebay when released as they will be very rare.
-
I don't think that is the case because if you look at the indiegogo site it clearly says you can have on for $600 with free shipping to UK. I guess excise could add duty to that but I somehow don't think it's going to be £800 like you claim.
-
It says here £394 pledge on the first day or £532 after that to get one: Canonical seeks $32m to make Ubuntu Edge smartphone | News | PC Pro
-
Britons urged to enjoy last few hours before explosion of baby bullshit
-
I'd do a mirror with a hot spare - you'd be able to record for months!
-
A fresh install is usually *easier* than an upgrade ! Less to go wrong. Less to debug.
-
Anything based on BSD then.
-
Mine and my GF's have both been rock solid, no issues at all.
-
We use A5120's which are pretty good. Our admin switches are A5120's setup with 20GB between them and 20GB to the core. For something more beefy get an 5500 or A5800 (better)
-
Glad you saw what I did there :-)
-
Maybe next year will be the year of the Windows tablet.....
-
Child Protection & Safeguarding When using Google Apps or Office 365
CyberNerd replied to jenking's topic in Cloud Services
I was quoted $10 per member of staff per year. Students are free. -
Child Protection & Safeguarding When using Google Apps or Office 365
CyberNerd replied to jenking's topic in Cloud Services
We also just informed ICO that we were sharing data outside of the EU under the safeharbour terms. -
Theres no reason why thin clients shouldn't work for 99% of things. No issues whatsoever with watching video here. Sounds like the setup is borked.
-
PaperCut - best way of creating unique card/identity numbers?
CyberNerd replied to Berenice's topic in How do you do....it?
do you have SIMS? I would get an export from SIMS of the "CES third party fields". This is a unique number for all of your SIMS users. You should be able to match it with the email address as a key. -
What to do with Google Drive Data from Student and Employee Attrits
CyberNerd replied to tommyday's topic in Cloud Services
Before students leave we encourage them to download their data. Then I keep the students accounts disabled for 12 months after which I just delete them. As you do; I transfer employee's to their line manager after they leave. -
Students handing in homework electronically
CyberNerd replied to Kyle's topic in How do you do....it?
Our policy for electronic homework is Google Docs. It's better than 365 in that you have collaboration features that are only possible on 365 if you start spending mega amounts of money. -
Thanks. I managed to pick up a couple of genuine HP 15M cables (around £160!!) HP X242 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 15m Direct Attach Copper Cable (J9287B) | HP® United Kingdom They only just reached from the server room to the admin office - it was a bit tighter than I wanted but still have half a meter or so at each end incase I need to pull the cabinets out.
-
It's not a legal requirement, but is covered by Ofsted so it depends upon the sort of Ofsted grade you want as to how you decide to engage with parents: Ofsted and parents - guidance
