Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

CyberNerd

Members
  • Posts

    9,169
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CyberNerd

  1. A bit self-defeating if the rest of the sector is using cloud services.
  2. Nokia wasn't in trouble at all before Elop screwed them~; Communities Dominate Brands: The Final Reckoning: Burning Platforms Memo Damaged Nokia: Wiped out $13B revenues, Destroyed $4B profits in just 12 months
  3. See what the BBC said: !?!?!? So Elop leaves MS for Nokia, issues the 'burning platform' memo and essentially drives nokia into the ground after pairing with MS. Then MS gets to buy Nokia at a cut down price and Elop returns. hmmm.
  4. Yeah, the brush strips are pretty handy to make everything look tidy.
  5. I think the best way of doing it is to have a group "teachers of maths" and make sure the staff share their folders with the group. staff seem to forget that they have to organise the folders (as they do in windows) and also forget that Google is rather good at searching their drive. I change ownership of all of the documents of a teacher who leaves to their line manager.
  6. I think it requires a slight change of mindset. Sharing files is one of the things Google apps does much better than windows shares; but the control is much more in the hands of the teacher rather than the administrator.
  7. Website and Moodle seems to be working at least. Leyland St Marys Catholic Technology College :
  8. I would absolutely agree with this. I learned the hard way. 0.5M patch cables suck if you want things to be tidy and manageable. Longer cables and some cable management system is the way forward.
  9. I think a keyboard would be the best bet, and use the voice recognition software for people who can't type - not people who cant speak!
  10. Only Microsoft could come up with advertising telling us how terrible their older products are.
  11. @fouldsy You will have better luck writing for multiple browsers and operating systems if you stick to some basic standards. Perhaps checking your sites against a validator every now and again. You'll save a hell of a lot of time on development and increase your user base if you could clean up your code, it will also make a simple path for developing tablet/phone apps and thus giving you a presence on the various (i)stores.
  12. Take a look at some of the recommended settings: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/exchange-2010-on-vmware-best-practices-guide.pdf
  13. who knows. Maybe it wasn't working properly? Perhaps there was an exploit in it? I don't see what they would have against local streaming or why they say they would like to support it if they have no intention of doing so. I think we'll have to wait for the final release to know for sure.
  14. You might be better off converting them into an open format such as OVF for long term storage because you will have a better chance of other products reading it. https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/automationtools/ovf
  15. I must be reading that paragraph differently from you then. I read it as Google saying it was a change in a brand new and undocumented api that was on developmental pre-release and they'd like to support all types of apps including local content, so presumably if they would like that to happen then they would make it happen when they release teh final SDK.
  16. Perhaps setting a policy or script to restart the IMA service might help, and set it to restart/reboot automatically when it's stopped. The nightly reboot helped fixed our issues (11 servers) but I probably get one still going down randomly once a week.
  17. I've seen similar things on Xenapp servers where the IMA service randomly breaks. First thing I do on a new farm is to set an overnight reboot policy which usually works around some of the vagueness of Citrix/Windows.
  18. Apparently this was due to an SDK change to be fixed in the near future: Confirmed: ChromeCast will be able to play local content, go ahead and order yours | Muktware
  19. We've put in KVM too. It's pretty feature rich for the price! We paid for the full supported RHEV package from RedHat and don't seem to need any of the extras that ESX offers. A good matrix of features is here but doesn't seem to mention you pay redhat for direct support with their engineers and could infact do it all for free: Virtualization Matrix - Feature Comparison: VMware, Microsoft, Citrix
  20. It is a completely different architecture. The PS3 was a triple core powerPC but the PS4 is an x86-64 so the PS4 is more like an xbox than a PS3. The big benefit is that games will be much more portable between xbox and PS in the future.
  21. not really a USP because moodle does this already and this and this and this
  22. I figured you might be able to nmap it and see if its running any services which could give some more info about the owner.
  23. Your right, but for the wrong reason. WPA/TKIP isn't in the 802.11n specification so if the spec is being implemented properly it should default to 54Mb if WPA is being used. I'm not sure that all vendors stick religiously to the spec.
  24. oh I see. Can you get any info from the IP to contact them yourself?
  25. I think having a policy of not blocking things without a court order is a good thing. Imagine the hassle they'd have with maintaining all the firewall rules if every customer was asking for things to be blocked at the ISP level.
×
×
  • Create New...