Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

CyberNerd

Members
  • Posts

    9,169
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CyberNerd

  1. The Terminal services licensing server isn't going to know anything about your FTE staff - so licensing per user means you have to license for each user account. We license per device and have a pool of 800 devices. The licenses worked out cheaper buying perpetually as they cost £11 each, paying by EES @£3.06 means they will only last 3yrs and we plan for a 5-6yr lifetime.
  2. Duel six core X5650 @2.27GHz 56GB RAM 3TB FC SAS drives. Granted I share it with some other workstations ;-)
  3. CyberNerd

    INGRESS

    Last time I played (march or april) they were accepting pretty much anything.
  4. CyberNerd

    INGRESS

    I reached lvl8 resistance. I was playing obsessively for about 8 months. At the time there were no portals in my home town so it was quite the struggle. I've since given up because it really ate into my life. One of my colleagues still plays. I would recommend you join some of the ENL google plus groups for your region.
  5. I rarely need to take apart a lenovo because ours have been so reliable or have an onsite warranty. But when they are out of warranty they are the easiest to repair because lenovo publish full maintenance manuals. Most vendors don't come close on the amount of detail that lenovo publish. I'd be quite happy to pay a bit more for lenovos for the reasons above (not to mention the all in one system updater) but we usually get them at a really good price. If you buy enough of them they will build them in china to your own spec.
  6. ..but surely it gives you a feeling of self importance over being a technician ?
  7. we use pdq to deploy to our citrix servers. Its very good for this. Less good for traditional clients as you need to make sure they are powered on.
  8. .. but you'll have lots of spares to replace it with. it should work with your setup. We connect to a storefront server internally with netscaler on the outside. I don't see why it wouldn't work with CAG though.
  9. We PXE boot about 300 thin clients using thinstation 5.1 https://github.com/Thinstation/thinstation
  10. I think you should fire up wireshark and find out what is causing an abnormal amount of ARP's
  11. You'd think the police would actually research it before jumping to conclusions. Guilty until proven innocent I guess.
  12. Biggest con I've found is that you can't change the default 'reply from' address and it always replies from the mailbox of the user who replied to the ticket. You have to change it to 'reply from group' each time you send. I don't think it would be such an issue in an environment where one person is allocated a ticket and deals with it 'forever' but it's a pain if you want to escalate things.
  13. There are actually a few ways to access staff/student mail or documents: Email archiving such as Vault ( $10 for each teacher, students are free) Download their inbox using Google_apps-manager (free) SSO through active directory and reset their google account password while they login through AD Third party tools like Cloud Management Tool for Google Apps | FlashPanel (discount for edu) Install the SSO for moodle, sign in as moodle admin then switch account.
  14. Not me. We're Google Apps users.
  15. Both I think. They are the same thing. Citrix is just one implementation of Xen, there are plenty of others with differing support models.
  16. ^ you might be missing the point about how Meru is designed specifically with channel interference and a high density of AP's in mind. Everything runs on the same channel.
  17. That wasn't my understanding of how Lightspeed works. I don't have one in place but from what I've seen from the sales speak/literature no connections are proxied so there is no need to have any exceptions.
  18. It's not a proxy server, it's a effectively a bridge that does deep packet inspection. I'm interested to know the answer though as I've been looking at lightspeed with interest.
  19. You can get the full HA using ovirt to manage your XEN. No limits or restrictions. oVirt We use it with KVM (instead of XEN) and get cheap support from RedHat. Red Hat | Enterprise Virtualization for servers and desktops
  20. Had some issues with some early model of OCZ (although always replaced at the factory without hassle). Intel and Crucial have been faultless.
  21. check out the integration options for education. https://www.google.com/enterprise/marketplace/?pli=1
  22. We use this for single sign on: SAML 2.0 and SAML 1.1 SSO Products - SSO Easy but there are a bunch of other ways to do it,.
  23. They picked up the mail pretty quickly. We offered a bunch of training time and utilized the training video resources provided by Google. Some still go stuck on things like filters, but that's no different than exchange. Drive was a little harder concept, but most of them now see that it is easier to find work in google drive than on mapped networked drives.
  24. We did it and ditched outlook. Never looked back!.
×
×
  • Create New...