Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

CyberNerd

Members
  • Posts

    9,169
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CyberNerd

  1. We just had this issue on a number of machines; it shows students as unlicensed, but worked fine after the program was run as an admin.
  2. I think you need to run the app as an administrator once to pick up the file from the install directory, after that it should run as a student
  3. 1. secondary with 6thForm 2. ipad mini, various androids, chromebooks (x2!) 3. 99% of our apps are web based so in theory they can be used for anything the PC's do, in practice it is mostly registrations + email for staff and internet for students. 4. apple configurator, google apps and (soon) lightspeed 5. price and the apps they run.
  4. CyberNerd

    iSCSI SAN

    What is the IOPS you see?
  5. you might be able to use iptables to rewrite the destination...
  6. I don't think it would work because "autoconfig" is meant to go to http://wpad/wpad.dat Web Proxy Autodiscovery Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The autoconfig URL would work
  7. I got it from Wolfram Alpha. It probably makes more sense to work it for the 620,000 teachers then. Say 80% make that: 0.8*620000*5*38 = 26,000 hours. Anyone care on working out how much this is costing the DfE based on an average £35k wage?
  8. 11 seconds adds up. 10million kids in the UK. Capita have an 80% monopoly with 8Million kids. 5 days per week, 38 weeks per year. 8000000*5*38*11 = 193,000 days !! Assuming the teacher doesn't move rooms so doesn't need to log in every period to do a lesson then Capita are responsible for a hell of a lot of lost learning time every year in the UK.
  9. Anyone seen how simple a 1940's sten gun is? They were designed to be cheap and simple to make long before CNC or 3D printing: www.HomeGunsmith.com Static Archive
  10. the source code is still on github
  11. it takes me a while sometimes.
  12. oh. crap. i get it now. Sorry.
  13. huh? Python does loads: Games, Web, scripts, applications. It's only as restrictive as any other language. edit: feels stupid now.
  14. What is constrictive?
  15. Would they give you time to do it? most of the uni courses are free these days.
  16. There is already a GCSE computing course, I don't know if/when you *have* to deliver it. You certainly don't need to choose python, but many schools have done (ours included) because it is a rich but very easy to use language and is perfect for beginners. There is lots of free online help as wells as IDE's etc available.
  17. Yes you can block sending/recieving from external addresses. It had a very good content filter (Google are rather good at search!) and the management console will lock out most of the things you need. We've been running it at an external site since 2007 and at our main site since 2009 without problems.
  18. I bet no-one could write a bruteforce script in javascript and point it at my SIMS server. Safe in the knowledge that what I don't know wont hurt me.
  19. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/security/126683-rm-ddos-attack.html
  20. That's only 6 years after Google !. Now to wait for the bugs to be ironed out....;
  21. Google sent me some presentations I thought I'd share. 40 ways to use google apps in the classroom Chromebooks for education pilot guide.
  22. KVM, our vmware is pretty much legacy as we couldn't afford the cost of going more than one server, plus I'd rather spend the money on decent hardware! I must admit I've not really considered Nimble. I'd quite like the features of Flashcopy and be able to replicate the new SAN to the current one without having to deal with extra backup software.. We've also got quite a few LUN's with some raw mappings, so moving a few TB of data isn't going to be a doddle without some form of non disruptive migration technology.
  23. Anyone got one? What did you go for? I need to replace my ageing DS3400 (6yr old now). Am looking at the storwize V3700 and it looks like a small business/ low end enterprise replacement for a DS3400 but interested in other options. I'm using more and more VDI machines each year so looking for something that will still be fast in 6yrs time, so SSD hybrid sounds like a good plan. Does anyone have any experience with this or any other hybrid SAN? I want to do the migration with as little downtime as possible. Is it possible to do SAN to SAN replication if the SAN is from a different vendor? I can see that I can do a non-disruptive migration with IBM -> IBM, but what if I went with an HP, how would that work?
  24. run iperf on the same subnet and see what that says. its not in the repo but there are plenty of rpms about and its easy to compile from source (just make sure you use the same versions)
×
×
  • Create New...