CyberNerd
Members-
Posts
9,169 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by CyberNerd
-
Just installed Moodle... SIMs Course integration?!
CyberNerd replied to CyBeRkId2002's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
We use it and is is substantially less expensive than employing someone to maintain the courses. -
Configure split delivery - Google Apps Help
-
Google quoted me $10 per member of staff per year to back up our gmail domain (students are free) using Google vault. Google is currently stronger on collaborative features. Google has a mass of applications such as Google+, Picasa, groups built in as well as an open api so there are a lot of 3rd party apps integrated. The forum/email options are also strong (no more mailing all teachers!). Ultimately MS really wants you to still buy office (ideally for your students too), so editing word documents collaboratively is out unless you buy the higher grade packages.
-
Everything is done through the controller. The AP's don't even have IP addresses. I have a sneaky feeling they do have a console port through so you could try that using putty or minicom and a suitable cable.
-
Slightly off track but I'm pondering one of these for snow days
-
lol I paid for ours from our maintenance budget
-
I've had one for many years and so has my colleague. It has never been an issue, but it did occur to me that if it became an issue I could simply remove / angle grinder the blade off. It would reduce it's functionality a bit but I could probably live with that.
-
[android] Android tablets for schools, how does the Market work?
CyberNerd replied to nLinked's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
Google's ip's nslookup -q=TXT _netblocks.google.com 8.8.8.8 Server: 8.8.8.8 Address: 8.8.8.8#53 Non-authoritative answer: _netblocks.google.com text = "v=spf1 ip4:216.239.32.0/19 ip4:64.233.160.0/19 ip4:66.249.80.0/20 ip4:72.14.192.0/18 ip4:209.85.128.0/17 ip4:66.102.0.0/20 ip4:74.125.0.0/16 ip4:64.18.0.0/20 ip4:207.126.144.0/20 ip4:173.194.0.0/16 ~all I'm sure they are fixed until the buy more -
It changes the homepage not the sign in page. Why would you stop people signing in? They'd never get their documents!!
-
no it's for managing chrome from a google domain
-
It works pretty well if you have 1:1 devices, but with lots of people logging on they won't get the chrome settings until google have authenticated them.
-
problem is that every year we are bringing in more and more devices. Last time I looked we had 60% Apple devices (6 out of 300 are school owned) on our wireless network and about 10% windows - and these are the ones that staff and students are bringing in. I'm quite surprised that we see so many Apple's - technically we should see more Linux than Apple if global marketshare was being properly reflected. We don't really buy new machines (other than renewals) any more, yet people want to use more and more technology in the classroom. I can see a point where we are not 'managing' devices at all very very soon. It's just a reflection of the IT industry in general being played out in school. The issue now is that we have hundreds of devices being used in school, yet the MIS system is tied to a particular vendor which is putting undue pressure on our financials. This in-turn is making the MIS system un-viable.
-
https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/2657289?hl=en For everything else there are admx files
-
It sort of happens with Citrix/rdp access or products like emerge anyway - the data doesn't live on the device, it still lives on a server. Granted someone could screenshot the data and then 'loose' it on a bus or copy it to the internet, but that can happen anyway. Besides I can remotely wipe staff ipads and androids if I want :-) My main gripe is that there are many more complicated products than a database frontend that are already written for multiple operating systems (I never though the Citrix receiver could be HTML5, but it is now!) There is no need to without re-write for Mac,iOS,Android (multiple versions), Linux, Windows 8, WindowsXP, Windows7,64bit 32bit bit blah blah blah. Why do companies seem to think it is still acceptable to write for one platform? just to cut costs on developers because they can only find old hat .net people?
-
Inform staff of how to use drive structures
CyberNerd replied to soveryapt's topic in How do you do....it?
If they don't understand a hierarchical directory structure now (from the 1960's? 70's?) they probably never will. Why not just accept it doesn't work and move onto search and labeling instead? -
BBC News: 'Online tests to replace paper exams within a decade'
CyberNerd replied to sonofsanta's topic in General Chat
I bet in the 1830's the same arguments were held. Exams on PAPER! but the students could cheat!!!! -
It's not just the Valve games on Steam for Linux. I've been playing Brutal Legend (EA) and the Wargame series (Eugen) over the weekend that were installed from steam. It's still only 10% of the total PC games available, but it is growing and is much better than just a few yrs ago.
-
BBC News: 'Online tests to replace paper exams within a decade'
CyberNerd replied to sonofsanta's topic in General Chat
I think that if this were to go ahead it would have to involve BYOD and the government would need to move away from the idea of sitting all students at once. I dont think either are likely. Surly policing exams for BYOD is the same as ensuing students don't bring in their own written notes? -
BBC News: 'Online tests to replace paper exams within a decade'
CyberNerd replied to sonofsanta's topic in General Chat
The problem seems to be that their idea of 'online' is a local install with specific requirements that preclude BYOD. -
BBC News: 'Online tests to replace paper exams within a decade'
CyberNerd replied to sonofsanta's topic in General Chat
I think that within a decade this is feasible because the price of a device that could complete such a task is (and always has been) dropping to the point that they are cheaper than textbooks. There is a cultural difference in the UK that means schools usually provide the educational resources (computers) that doesn't exist in other parts of the world. The main barrier is that the exams companies are not able to write software, and that schools are unwilling to provide 1:1 computing, The latter will change. 10 yrs back I completed an online/cloud based Cisco exam that would run securely on a multitude of operating systems/browsers. 10 yrs later, the exam boards are so closely tied to MS products that require an install in the traditional school owned desktop PC environment, this is always going to be an expensive option. If the government required the exam boards to up their game and write a platform that would allow true could based online exams(unlikely) then there would be a way forward. Until then it's blue sky thinking. -
Nice. Looks pricey.
-
yes comware, I don't think they have any intrusion detections other than broadcast suppression to counter network storms. Anyhow, I replaced the switch and everything is fine now so I'll write this one up as dodgy hardware.
