Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

pshuttle

Members
  • Posts

    296
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by pshuttle

  1. Works a treat. Thanks gwendes
  2. That sounds about right. Cheers, Pete
  3. Hi there, On my travels I have noticed that some workplaces have their server desktops display the machine information (Computer name, IP Address etc). It looks as though this is dynamic rather than just a user created background. If so can anyone enlighten me on how I can make this happen on our college's Windows 2003 servers. Thanks in advance, Pete
  4. Escape from Fractalus / Rescue from Fractalus - Atari 800 XL
  5. Good practice states that the DNS server should point to itself for DNS resolution. Set in network properties. The error message could be to do with your server trying to dynamicaly register with your current DNS server. Also, what was said before - i.e do not use .local Cheers
  6. Oh god here we go again.... what nonsense....
  7. Thanks a lot for that guys - I knew we were being taken for a ride. Pete
  8. Hey everyone, Just wondered what everyone pays for their CALs. (Windows 2003 Server) We have been quoted about £8 per machine. Cheers, Pete
  9. Nah she wouldn't - we spent many a drunken night at Rio's and the student bars......and we used to live together as students. Saw her again at a mutual friends wedding last year and it was like old times! Pete
  10. Your right the majority could do exactly that. But having been a Telewest customer in Bradford there is no way that you could have got an ordinary terrestrial signal - the analogue reception was terrible. Not being a massive football fan I actually find it quite amusing! Pete
  11. It has been free for a while - since version 8 I believe (without adverts). Pete
  12. I got the servers busy message all day yesterday but managed to start downloading it using the propriety download manager at about 10:30 PM. Will try it over the weekend. Pete
  13. That was definitely the case at my last post but here the same cannot be said - I think we are respected as a department as well as for a our knowledge and education. Pete
  14. I have found over the years that I probably get on better with women than men in the workplace. I think it is a shame that more women are not involved in the industry - the few women who I have met who have been working in IT have been highly professional people. It annoys me that IT is perceived as a male profession - there is no reason why it should be! Pete
  15. I did the degree route, and I think that at this level it has set me apart from most of the candidates that have been applying for jobs alongside me. Having a degree is not the be all and the end all though, your experience counts for a lot. Also, do not forget that a Computer Science degree is very broad as it is meant to be an education - it is not directly designed to enable you to seek employment through it's content. For this reason we were expected to do an "academic" final year projects and not one with a business/commercial bias. Pete
  16. I used to buy bits from there all the time whilst at uni. One of my old friends, Helen works there now - a price checker. Pete
  17. Russ, Cheers. Just to make things clearer - events are open to any BCS member not just those living/working in Lancashire. Non members are welcome at talks but only members can go to the networkig evenings etc... Also, if anybody wants help or advice from their local branch I can pass on the contact details/talk to the branch concerned. Pete
  18. Hello all, After the BCS Preston & District branch AGM I have been voted in as the Young Professionals Group Officer. This means that for those of you in and around Lancashire (Manchester and Liverpool have their own branch) I am here to represent BCS members as young professionals (ages 18-35). If you have any concerns or questions about Membership, Career Professional Development (CPD) or joining then please do not hesitate to e-mail me. There will be a series of talks and networking events organised over the next year for members and as a result can I please ask the admin staff if I may post details as and when they arrive. Regards, Pete YPG Officer BCS Preston & District Branch [email protected]
  19. At my old job we used to give all the computers a once over with cleaning stuff once a term (i.e clean monitor screens and the keyboard mouse and tower units). However, at my current job the cleaners are responsible for this. There is no way my colleagues would mass clean the computers (although they do wipe one down if it has been in for fixing etc). Pete
  20. Also don't forget that not all programs are compatible with the 64 bit edition. Frustrating really - it is probably just better if you wait until Vista is released. Pete
  21. Why dont you try the free trial? I have been using it for a couple of weeks at home dual booting with 32bit XP pro. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/facts/trial.mspx Seems ok but not really massively quicker than ordinary XP. It is meant to be quite good if you have more than 2gb of ram though. Pete
  22. Quite impressed with XP on our iMacs actually. We have not done anything serious with them yet thought - just been playing around. Pete
  23. From what I can remember it is nigh on impossible to find a 1500 Lumen projector in this day and age...... The nearest we could get to it was 2000. Correct me if I am wrong? Pete
  24. pshuttle

    EvE Online

    I initially was very impressed with eve - but then I got bored of traveling huge distances to different systems etc.... and the trial ran out. Do not want to have to pay for two subscriptions at once (I also play WoW). Pete PS I fancy giving RF online a trial - has anybody had a go at this?
  25. That is very true - but after they have nicked them and then realise that they won't work without the control panel thing it will be unlikely that the same thieves would steal projectors from that institution again. Pete PS Although a new set of theiverererers would not know that!
×
×
  • Create New...