-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
Server 2016 Windows Update when using Hyper-v
Michael replied to AndiMarv's topic in Windows Server 2016
I removed the duff WSUS server entry I created in Group Policy and prior to this Microsoft Update was failing as expected. Ran gpupdate and then it downloaded Windows Defender definitions as I speculated from Microsoft Update, so it does work. The GUI just doesn't state otherwise like it does Windows 10.- 23 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- hyper-v
- server 2016
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
The real workaround should be, stop using SIMS and change your MIS. The fact it could be so many possibilities is hardly reassuring given you're expected to support end users!
-
Have you enquired how much Meraki is, given you're already using it?
-
Unfortunately no then, you'll need to edit each GPO in turn
-
Yes - Create a new GPO with the replaced setting. If it's last in the GPO order, it will take priority over GPOs applied first (just for that specific setting). Then link the GPO wherever it's needed. It'll still take a while, but it'll work.
-
Server 2016 Windows Update when using Hyper-v
Michael replied to AndiMarv's topic in Windows Server 2016
Will try again when I get home, but logically Windows Server will try and download definition updates (for Windows Defender) if it isn't working. If it doesn't you could be right it's a GUI problem, but then again, active hours didn't apply either for me.- 23 replies
-
- hyper-v
- server 2016
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Server 2016 Windows Update when using Hyper-v
Michael replied to AndiMarv's topic in Windows Server 2016
Disabling the Windows Update service via GPO, then running gpupdate does work! It clearly looks like a bug, yet I can't find anything performing a Google Search either. Hmm...- 23 replies
-
- hyper-v
- server 2016
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Server 2016 Windows Update when using Hyper-v
Michael replied to AndiMarv's topic in Windows Server 2016
I think you're right, it doesn't work. I've copied settings like for like with an existing setup and some more. I even adjusted active hours and this is ignored too. I tried linking the WSUS Test GPO next to the Default Domain policy, as well as the Domain Controllers, same problem. I have also downloaded/installed the October 2016 fix already, so not sure if this has any bearing? In summary, not good Microsoft have missed this!- 23 replies
-
- hyper-v
- server 2016
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Server 2016 Windows Update when using Hyper-v
Michael replied to AndiMarv's topic in Windows Server 2016
Sounds it. I have a 2016 VM on my notebook that I'm playing with. Will have a go now and see if it applies or not.- 23 replies
-
- hyper-v
- server 2016
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
I presume you've tried updating the Broadcom driver? I'd always suggest Intel NICs in a server, you really can't go wrong with them whether you want them for Hyper-V and/or Teaming etc...
-
I suppose Group Policy is an MDM solution (sort of), but in saying that, considering Windows Phone is an absolute flop, Microsoft are essentially catering for only Education and Enterprise environments in that respect. That's by far their biggest market share.
-
Server 2016 Windows Update when using Hyper-v
Michael replied to AndiMarv's topic in Windows Server 2016
I presume you've just created a WSUS Server GPO and linked it under the Domain Controllers GPO? For member servers, I create a sub OU (under Domain Controllers), so they also can be dragged in here and pick up the same policies, otherwise they just sit in Computers which is useless!- 23 replies
-
- hyper-v
- server 2016
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Yes possibly, but there was nothing documented they were going to implement changes, even if it's inherited from newer builds such as Redstone. And if it's the case, Microsoft need to offer granular support in Settings. Control Panel is much better in this area.
-
Adding Microsoft.NetworkAndSharingCenter to the list of allowed Control Panel items has done the trick. I can only conclude Microsoft are slowly linking Settings/Control Panel whereas they didn't before.
-
Hi all, I have this issue at several sites - Windows 10 July 2015 build 10240, with latest October 2016 fix. Staff user logs in, but they can no longer expand/view the WiFi menu in the Taskbar. This for example is useful when they logon using cached credentials at home, so they can join their home WiFi. Left click does nothing, and right click gives them the option to 'Open Network and Sharing Centre' but this also does nothing. This wasn't an issue with the September 2016 fix, any ideas?
-
Still you're thinking along the right lines - One full backup (say on a Friday) and incrementals Mon-Thur is how I generally do things.
-
Server 2016 Windows Update when using Hyper-v
Michael replied to AndiMarv's topic in Windows Server 2016
Just like Windows 10 in that respect, WSUS is the way to go to solve this, as it overrides Microsoft Update. You then have the choice of manually authorising updates or no updates at all (via WSUS) and your Windows Server should behave as expected. This applies to all newer/modern Windows Server OSes, not just 2016.- 23 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- hyper-v
- server 2016
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Can't say I've ever seen such behaviour. I presume this is a physical PC and not a VM?
-
Spring next year isn't a million miles away, so I'd suggest either waiting or going for 2012 R2 and SQL 2014 today which are working configurations. I'm pretty sure someone else on Edugeek has already tested a VM running SIMS on Server 2016 and it doesn't work.
-
It would probably make more sense to start with a clean Hyper-V host, then import your VMs one by one and then upgrade them in turn too. Updating a Hyper-V host logically should be OK though, as it's all MS software at this point.
-
From memory the client is located within the install directory of Papercut (on your server). You can then set/program a username/password belonging to the domain. Install your Follow Me printer manually and you should be good to go.
-
Sometimes switching the one off or broadcasting different SSIDs solves the problem.
-
These notebooks have dual-band Intel AC adapters. Is your wireless network broadcasting in both modes?
-
There will be exceptions but HR Portal is a mish mash of code and probably will require Acrobat Reader. Generally only a handful of users will use it per school.
