-
Posts
12,849 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Michael
-
Can't establish remote desktop connections to offsite servers
Michael replied to Muppet1902's topic in Windows Server 2019
Usually if there are two domains, you'd need a Forward/Reverse lookup zone or a Stub zone would suffice in DNS.- 16 replies
-
And I can't see who in their right mind would deploy an OS which is going to expire before its predecessor? Microsoft would have been better (at the very least) to align that LTSC 1809 and LTSC 2021 expire at the same time, then start 5 year support cycles. It's incredible to think an organisation the size of Microsoft that no-one thought about this...
-
Can't establish remote desktop connections to offsite servers
Michael replied to Muppet1902's topic in Windows Server 2019
This does come across as firewall related to me. You're VPNing into Site A, but cannot access servers on Site B remotely? I'm presuming also there's a Site to Site VPN in place? If I've understood correctly or not, can you ping anything at all?- 16 replies
-
Taken from here it is headed Enterprise and IoT Enterprise LTSB/LTSC editions The IoT version is 10 years, despite being exactly the same.
-
##Rushes to take a snapshot and post on Edugeek## Unfortunately I think this is a typo, as everywhere else on Microsoft states 5 years. It should be 10 years, like its predecessors 1809 and 1607.
-
Thank you - there's no support contract, so we're probably going to change to Ubiquiti WiFi, along with Ubiquiti Switches.
-
Registry, or change the Regional Setting to UK manually on each device. Usually this is dealt with at Sysprep level, or even before depending on how you prep. You can configure time/NTP settings via GPO though, so all clients are correct time wise thereafter.
-
I can confirm Mesh(ing) is not enabled. Thanks for the tip though. Running FW: 200.7.10.2.339
-
It's a very small site, so no VLANs.
-
Thanks for your reply - dynamically assigned via DHCP. I think that's the problem - because they're all powered up at the same time after a switch restart, how is the Master assigned? It's supposed to be automatic is my understanding, but I'm quickly losing faith with it! - - - Updated - - - Do you have a single switch, or are they plugged into two switches is my only other thought?
-
Bumping this up, anyone any experience of Ruckus Unleashed?
-
Morning all, I'm supporting a school who's using a Ubiquiti 48 port PoE switch, along with a Ruckus Unleashed WiFi solution. If I apply a routine firmware upgrade out of hours to the Ubiquiti, it reboots as expected, but then the Ruckus Unleashed dashboard is unreachable thereafter. Other PoE devices (such as phones) are absolutely fine, but I find myself remotely disabling ports on the Ubiquiti (for all Ruckus APs), bar one and then rebooting a second time (including a PoE cycle). I then re-enable all ports for each Ruckus Unleashed AP in turn (and everything works again)! The issue it seems is that when the Ubiquiti restarts and initialises PoE, all Ruckus Unleashed APs start at the same time (presumably all trying to adopt the master role), hence the dashboard is unreachable. Surely I must be over looking something here and that Ruckus can't have overlooked the possibility of rebooting a single switch, which takes out all APs in the process?
-
Just for Birmingham schools who use HR Portal, but as above, this will change in the next 6-12 months with IE no longer being supported in favour of Edge. I suspect HR Portal's replacement will not be Java based.
-
HR Portal = IE and Java still. I've long disabled iexplore.exe from running for Pupils/Staff, only Admin users permitted. Everything else = Chrome!
-
I'd have a look at Task Scheduler and see if there's anything in here at 3:32!
-
Losing Patience with Ubiquiti / Unifi Protect
Michael replied to Warwick_Tech's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
If you reserve the local IP, can you give the NVR an unfiltered connection out to the world wide web? -
Excess Construction Charges
Michael replied to Mrpower's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
You have to view these costs as a one off as part of infrastructure (if the school do not have a lease line already), so even if the cable needed changing in future, Virgin would re-use the duct. The only other gotcha is BT and Virgin for example will not share the same ducts, despite being on school land. -
Excess Construction Charges
Michael replied to Mrpower's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Yes it's normal practice - providers will normally cover the first £2.5K and the school pay the difference, but you also have the right to cancel at this stage also (as required). -
I've been using WUfB for sometime, as above it's just GPOs, then Windows Update takes care of everything else. I delay updates by 30 days, (again by GPO) so currently clients are operating on the September 2021 update (at the time of writing). This is entirely your choice, but it still means clients used regularly off site are kept up-to-date. Separately I also looked at the idea of making WSUS accessible over the internet, but it's relatively complicated I thought. Windows Update & GPOs really is seamless and one less VM for me to manage at each site running WSUS.
-
DNS plays a big role if you rename the FQDN, this is what @paulkerton means, so you'll still need a DNS Zone of your existing FQDN thereafter, but end users obviously won't know this.
-
It's possible to change the display name for a domain (on the logon screen), instead of changing the FQDN, so for example - Computer Config > Policies > Admin Templates > System > Logon - Assign a default domain for logon - Enabled In here specify Test (for example), then restart a workstation. The user then logs in using [email protected] - whatever their user reads in AD if you've specified custom/additional domains to your real FQDN. If you're part of a larger Academy Trust, this can be unique per school/per GPO/per OU if you understand what I mean?
-
I've looked a bit more into this as follows - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (64-bit), build no. 2021.007.20099, running the export command reads: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (32-bit), build no. 2021.007.20099, running the export command reads: Question is, can you enter both entries in a single XML file for multiple environments? I'm 99% sure only Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (32-bit) is being used in environments I manage.
-
The only other consideration is the same IP/same hostname as your existing print server, otherwise you'll have to update the MFPs themselves. If it's a VM, you could always take a snapshot and upgrade Windows Server. I can't see why it wouldn't work myself and save a lot of work.
-
Thanks for the feedback. Anyone any joy with this?
