-
Posts
909 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jsnetman
-
We have them here almost for every subject, have to agree they are over priced but staff seem to like them. They are primarily for use with an interactive whiteboard so why would the pupils need access to them apart from when they interact with the the board. We shared them out to staff users only. I suppose if they don't have an IWB an argument could be put to give access to pupils.
-
Very expensive snapin to run a vanilla system.
-
Save yourself a heap of money and go vanilla. This old chessnut again
-
I tend to deploy regedits through startup scripts (XP think this can also be done via GP as well)) or group policy preferences on windows 7, you have to be careful in an msi that user settings are not getting propergated via the MSI, machine settings are fine. But have generated MSI's for regedits on the real nasty bits of software, I would say with a 50% success rate.
-
Have you got an install guide for vanilla, seems very RM orientated, realise it was built for RM networks but also says will work on vanilla.
-
BSF - Building Scrapped for Future (In Places)
jsnetman replied to CAM's topic in Legacy CMS Comments
I guess they will look at each individual school and if it really REALLY needs cash and a rebuild it would come. Probably with the carrot of you have to be an acadamy or free school. -
In the email it states BSF cancelled and will look forward to new investment initiatives by the current government.
-
Just got the official email form the LEA, BSF cancelled no further meetings going to be held regarding BSF. North Tyneside.
-
I agree, but would rather be in my existing employment rather than tuped when it happens.
-
I think a big squeeze on jobs and budgets would have come BSF or no BSF, labour or condem, think I would rather be in non BSF when it comes. After tupe your working conditiona can change after 12 months or whatever the LA negotiate, I would not like to be in that position when the money gets tight.
-
CC4 Unable to rebuild anything... RM say Virus?
jsnetman replied to EduMan's topic in Network and Classroom Management
If you can't go to SP3 there is a download which patches the problem with conficker: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-067.mspx Seem to remember we didi deploy this patch prior to upgrading to SP3. We also deployed and ran http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f51/conficker-information-203975/ conficker_mem_killer.exe for a good few weeks after the attack. -
CC4 Unable to rebuild anything... RM say Virus?
jsnetman replied to EduMan's topic in Network and Classroom Management
We did this here, staff don't have a choice when a virus hits, only had to do it twice blaster and conficker. For blaster even the servers were turned off for a day or so. -
I have always thought of an NM you are a manager of a system not people, but obviously in this capacity you normally manage 1 or 2 techies at least in a school, in industry you would be a sys admin which is looking after the system not people.
-
I would say this would be a very overworked network manager. Usually the NM is the person responsible for the more technical issues in a network like getting dodgy msi's to graft, or software installs at the drop of a hat. To stretch as far as 20 schools is a bit much, 5 maybe.
-
CC4 Unable to rebuild anything... RM say Virus?
jsnetman replied to EduMan's topic in Network and Classroom Management
We downloaded and stored this Virus Description: Worm:W32/Downadup.AL on a network share and and used a startup script to initiate detection and removal, machines that don't connect to the share or have the virus will have to be manually scanned. You also need to turn off autoplay on all removable devices again you can do this in GP but a regedit deployment script would also work. We also installed SP3 on all workstations and laptops, not sure you can do this on RM but I don't see why not. This can be done via WSUS or startup script, or manually. Further info from Ms: Virus alert about the Win32/Conficker worm -
CC4 Unable to rebuild anything... RM say Virus?
jsnetman replied to EduMan's topic in Network and Classroom Management
First thing to do is apply a registry patch to all machines and set security on the key to read for everyone including administrators the key is MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost. The easiest way is to do it via GP. I'm sure even on an RM network you can still use GP. Or you could deploy it via a script. I will post the other steps as soon as I can track what we did. It was a long time ago. here is the svchost information from MS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962007 -
I think any major IT company like RM and others are going to suffer todays announcement as well as builders. It's the builder I feel sorry for, most schools probably have an adequate IT infrastructure, but a lot of schools don't have good buildings. Why on earth lump in IT with a building contractor is beyond me.
-
I can't see that happening, I'm not sure but part of the managed ICT bit was an incentive of say £1500 per pupil initial investment. Then the school would have to carry on this investment based on what they spend now, so basically outsourcing what they spend now on IT to an external company. I think that initial investment comes from the government, so that is now shafted. or is a combined bribe from the builder and an IT company, no builder=no managed IT
-
ICT Technician Jobs in College/Universities
jsnetman replied to sajad2008's topic in Educational IT Jobs
I came from a college to a school, it was my happiest times, loved the atmosphere and there was no real pressure. Unfortunatley colleges are going through a rough time starting way back in the late 90's, budgets were tight then and are going to be even tighter now. They will still need IT support but the once premise that working for a college was safe is over. But to answer your question if they are going to advertise it will primarily be on their website, if it is not you won't find it elswhere. -
The majority of secondary schools in North Tyneside are listed, but not ours. I think we have a couple who got funding as path finder projects, the majority are going to miss out though.
-
Ours not listed either, we were in the very latter stages I think wave 6a or even later, so maybe they have not included schools in the latter stages, as obviously they would be cut. Mind you that list was hobbled together pretty quickly after the announcement so maybe there was errors compiling it.
-
I was told last week to kiss goodbye to the managed IT service, hooray, I was not in favour of it anyway, but there again schools need to be rebuilt so I'm a little dismayed at the severity of the cuts.
-
Don't know whether I'm happy or sad. On the one hand I was not in favour of a managed IT service for obvious reasons (job security). But on the other schools need to be rebuilt especially ours and many others of course. BSF won't be happening for us but what the future may bring could be even worse.
-
School buildings projects scrapped to save £5bn - Telegraph Looks like it's already been decided and they are leaking it in advance of what will be said in parliment. It looks like all BSF will not come to an end but a mere 5 billion.
-
I would not get to hung up about it, happens here sometimes and also with WDS service not starting correctly but think that would be due to DHCP issue as well. I think sometimes on startup the services miss a beat or something like that.
