-
Posts
1,577 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Jamman960
-
Managing IT jobs list over summer holidays
Jamman960 replied to DrBeaker's topic in How do you do....it?
I've just started using ProjectVi on the iPad to generate a Gantt chart of our summer jobs, Its enabled me to create a long list of jobs with sub tasks along with estimated timings which can then be scheduled in, I can see all tasks assigned to each person along with notes on each task etc, its not perfect as exporting is a real pain and it doesn't share between team members but I'm hoping it'll enable me and my new team(1 temp for the summer and my new tech starting on Friday) to get through the summer somehow. James -
Support for Sherston? Sherston Mega Deal media damaged :(
Jamman960 replied to superaz300's topic in Educational Software
Was this the Sherston megadeal that came on an external hdd? I may still have ours somewhere I’ll try and dig it out on Monday if I get a chance -
Recording Phone Calls
Jamman960 replied to WestCoastCumbria's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
On our FreePBX system I'd search the call logs for the parents number, if there was a recording attached to the call the option to play it would be available. -
Best computer architecture for timetabling with Nova T?
Jamman960 replied to SteveRichards's topic in MIS Systems
Our timetabler usually makes use of a few IT Suite machines to try out different options when running Nova T6 , he's said that once it goes past a certain level its unlikely to find a swap even if you left it on for ages... I've managed to stay well away I'd like to see machine learning applied to a school timetable, you should be able to give it a rule book and leave it to it.- 21 replies
-
- 1
-
-
Total Care is part of Solutions although I believe its underwritten by an insurance company. They seem to do repairs in house and then go out to the insurance company if they have to. Simon Birch(Director) has been taken on by GBM and says he'll be transferring everything over to there which I assume includes the Insurance/support - we've got some of ours on a monthly insurance and a load of them insured for the duration of the lease.
-
Their retail arm went into liquidation in February but they tried to keep the education department going, they finally had to close the education branch just before half term. We've received a few emails from one of the directors who is trying to sort things out for their customers.
-
Print Management Solution & Scanning to Sims
Jamman960 replied to Tefters's topic in Enterprise Software
We started using recordlink to save office files to sims as most files tend to come in via email. There’s a pdf version also I believe. It’s not straight from the copier but makes uploading files from desktops easier We pay just over £300 per year for it via capita -
Is anybody else using Zuludesk having trouble getting restored iPads to install all of the expected apps? We find that its hit and miss whether apps are fully installed, many get stuck 'waiting...' or have cloud icons next to their names. We've used the technical support within Zulu via our 'Apple Solutions Experts' who tend to suggest things such as removing users from groups and re-adding them but its getting a little annoying as we're unable to return iPads quickly as we have to manually check to ensure all of the apps have been fully re-installed. Sometimes we end up re-restoring multiple times until we get everything sorted.
-
I'd probably use windows backup to take a backup of the host although to be honest getting the host setup with Hypver-V from scratch is pretty easy, Take a look at Altaro(I use this for our hosts) or Veeam as they both offer free versions for 1/2 vm's
-
We use http://www.schoolpost.co.uk - we have it linked to Sims but I'm sure they'll support WCBS as it's aimed at independent schools. We've used it since around 2011 and its been great.
-
It’s been a long time since I upgraded but I’m pretty sure there was an upgrade link offered once logged into the deploy site. From there it was a pretty easy process involving re-verifying ownership (phone call from apple to our bursar in our case)
-
I wish they’d allow access to asm via mobiles/tablets, I still tend to use the volume purchase store for apps as it’s accessible from anywhere
-
I imagine they’re just going to turn off the old management interfaces
-
We looked at Bodet but decided it was easier to expand our phone system into classrooms and use announcements, it serves multiple purposes and is always in use vs a dedicated system that would only(hopefully) be put to the test when doing drills/tests James
-
Car insurance marital status updating time frame?
Jamman960 replied to nicholab's topic in General Chat
I wouldn’t worry too much about the change of marital status but the change of address would need notifying ASAP You’ll want to get hold of an official copy(don’t send original) or more of your wedding certificate in order for your other half to change her name with them and other companies -
One of our students made a hoax, silent call recently, we've got our system setup to page the bursar into the call and record any emergency calls. The operator instructed the caller to tap, cough or make a noise about 20 seconds into the call and refused to release the line until someone spoke. at around 45 seconds they started passing the call on to the local police and gave them the name of the caller & location as per the phone company records - we were included in that call. Our bursar managed to get to the phone and told them it was a hoax by about 90 seconds. There was plenty of background noise on the call as it was near our after school club, they were very persistent in trying to get a response.
-
I brought Stone PC's with their UNI stand when we did our refresh a few years ago - https://www.stonegroup.co.uk/stone-products/stands/premium-stand/ The only frustration I had was the time it takes to build the things, I'm hoping we can replace the PC itself without replacing the stand when we come to our next refresh. Annoyingly the stands were £20 when we first brought a batch but that rose to £40 the year after James
-
Suggestions and opinions on new Visitor management system
Jamman960 replied to dapaulio's topic in Educational Software
https://signinapp.com/ works very well on the iPad for us, they're in the process of implementing sims attendance integration so we've finally gone ahead with it. We needed 3 sign in locations so Inventry prices were through the roof. James -
exchange server 2016 migration from 2010
Jamman960 replied to pablo007's topic in Enterprise Software
You'll see them in there as part of the exchange organisation, they'll still need to be moved into the new mailbox database -
At one point I used quickifile.co.uk to record my budget expenditure, it worked really well. We don't use official po's and an increasing amount is going on the school credit card. I tend to keep my own records of invoices in folders as PDF's
-
Cyber essentials only requires critical updates to be installed within 14 days if I remember correctly, in general windows updates are only released monthly anyway so I wouldn’t expext a whole lot to be required in the interim. I would expect them to approach them if a patch critical enough to be released outside of the monthly’s were to be released. Our web site provider has just tried similar, they want to charge £30/mo to update Wordpress and all the plugins because they claim it’s getting more and more time consuming...
-
I’ve been through 2 full inspections where I’ve not been asked for anything other than WiFi access and an mfd As I’m mentioned in our esafety policy I ended up being interviewed during our recent compliance inspection, they only asked what filter we used and how we handled esafety All were isi inspections.
-
Dealing with openreach is never easy I’m currently waiting for them to excavate along the pavement near work to complete installation of our leased line. I’m watching roadworks.org, permits show up on there along with descriptions of the work so I’ve got an idea of when they’re supposed to be carrying out work. I’m not sure if this relys upon your council using it or not. Then again having a permit seems to mean very little - 80% or so of ours seem to get moved every time the works are due to be carried out. I’m endlessly pestering our supplier to push openreach to do their job, they “escalate” the issue and openreach continue to do the same...
