Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Jamman960

Members
  • Posts

    1,577
  • Joined

Everything posted by Jamman960

  1. Brought in 5 Toshiba mfds over the summer and they've been great, only 2 service calls so far and next to no jajamming. Previously had a mixture of Sharp, Kyocera aand Konica. Wasn't keen on the sharp as it was an older model, Kyoceras had a nice ui but both jammed far too frequently among other issues. The Konicas were reliable but had horrible interfaces and print drivers
  2. Congratulations, bet you can't wait to get her home! James
  3. Damn, one of our teachers gave me a box full the other day as they couldn't bare to bin them... they landed in the bin pretty quickly from there
  4. I wish capita would take security more seriously themselves, ours was also setup in this way by Capita Independent... I also recently had a Capita consultant moan about me changing one of the default passwords, I'm sure it was originally 123abc or some nonsence
  5. congrats!
  6. I tend to use CPLtd for pretty much everything followed by Novatech, Ballicom occasionally
  7. ...Year 10 - Robots replace teachers ...Year 15 - Robot teachers retired, information beamed into pupils brains I wish I could get my school to think beyond the next year, I ask for more each year due to aging assets and they cut the budget further edit: oops too slow!
  8. We found that the vpl-ex4's went through bulbs like water,the ones we had left were dim even with a new bulb compared to anything brought since.
  9. When using fees billing to send emails(sims. Net) I've had to allow the client pc's to send mail directly so it wouldn't surprise me if FMS also sent mails from the client rather than server.
  10. Just to clarify - Is this Papercut NG we're talking about? as far as I remember NG only comes with 1 release station licence, maybe the trial is different though. How is it all setup? ie do you have pc's acting as release stations next to the machines? & if so is it possible that the release stations are releasing to the wrong printer
  11. We currently have 6 servers(3 in the process of being retired) in a 42u rack - we're independent prep school with upto 320 pupils ranging from 2.5 to 13. Needs a bit of a tidy up again had everything nicely labelled but that went to pot When I first started coming here we had a single server under a table in the IT suite which then became 2/3 servers in a small ex darkroom on a table followed by the rack being squeezed into a cupboard off my office. its now been moved into the main area of my old office and had aircon installed I managed to acquire the rack for free and luckily our existing servers were rack mountable. In my previous job I saw many senior/secondary schools with 5+ servers stuffed under benches in the IT office so its not entirely a primary thing
  12. I've been setting up our first 5 ipad mini's for use in the library this week, initially I wanted to throw them out the window as I was trying to set them up individually but having put Meraki MDM in place(5-10mins) I'm beginning to see the light although they're still far from perfect My main problems at the moment are stopping them from asking for the apple ID password in various places and getting them to play nicely with our proxy... until I set reserved IP's and allowed them through our proxy without authenticating they prompted me for credentials every few minutes Going to have to visit a few more schools I think, the one my line manager and I visited pretty much had a tech who's job it was to check ipads... I'll be damned if I'm going to spend all day every day with these things
  13. we had this same error, in our case I pinned it down to a single field relating to national curriculum years with the help of MLS support as it stopped us running the group call exporter jobs. ,capita sent a patch which solved it. Will find the patch number Edit - it was patch 19813 & the field was current ncyear, any attempt to report on this field caused the error.
  14. Thank you very much, now sorted till Nov 2016
  15. Aren't IP cam's usually connected over copper along with POE? haven't looked much but can't see the need for fiber unless they really need them over 100m away and I wouldn't have thought it'd be the norm on standard cameras. I'd be concerned about them wasting valuable SFP slots when they could use copper when most switches come with 4 at the most.
  16. finally found out what our budget for september is today so can start making plans, getting ees licencing in place as well as a new file server are first on the list followed by sorting out new images for everything. im also hoping to get all of our copiers replaced and papercut mf implimented... just wish these damn companies would email quotes/price lists rather than insisting on face to face meetings for everything
  17. are there any other inputs you could test via? one of our old projectors would have a red tint on the vga interface but was fine via component/composite
  18. Ah fair enough. leased lines have changed a fair amount since I looked into it I guess. We were quoted 9k install followed by around 9k/year rental. Laser was 12k install followed by 1.5k maintenance per year, its so reliable that we no longer bother having servers on the other site other than for our "off site" backup
  19. Is there no line of sight between the two sites? we were lucky and just about had a view so managed to get a gigabit laser link in place rather than paying BT for a slower link
  20. I've used iTech - iTech | A Technology Company for cover on a couple of occasions
  21. I imagine they're alot better now but back in 2007 the ones I dealt with were absolutely awful, I worked for a company that supplied and supported schools. Build quality was the biggest problem, the inverter boards on the screen regularly failed which then meant the school was down a pc rather than just a monitor, dissasembling them took ages. I'd probably stick with tier 1 manufacturers and as longer onsite warrantee as possible although I guess this is now more the norm than it used to be.
  22. I originally had my own small office then moved the servers in(they were on/under a table in a tiny cupboard) and then eventually managed to get a bigger office elsewhere. I wouldn't mind sharing an office and having a tech bench elsewhere, it gets a little boring being so far from all the other offices/classrooms.
  23. I managed to get solus3.6 installed on windows 2003 thankfully, it didn't go on without issue but it wasn't particularly difficult - I've since been able to get all clients redirected to the new server without the workarounds that would have been required on 3.5. We've only managed to get a new host because the PSU failed on the old admin server and it had gone EOL(thankfully another less important server had an identical psu...) I'm planning to stick with SQL2008R2 until Autumn 14 when SQL2014 support comes into effect & 2k8R2 ends
  24. I'd look at the width of the machine as well as the location of its control panel, our Kyocera is a pain because its control panel sticks out from the machine itself so often gets knocked, that machine also isn't the slimmest anyway - the sharp it replaced fitted in nicely and its control panel was integrated into the main unit.
  25. Congratulations! and good luck with the move
×
×
  • Create New...