-
Posts
1,891 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tarquel
-
...or before restoring ANYTHING, make sure you get all the A/V & anti-spyware programs in place. In your case, its the following: Antivirus: ----------- - Sophos [and don't install other A/V software for performance and cancelling each other out and other reasons] Anti-spyware: ---------------- - Windows Defender - resident & removal tool - Spybot - Search & Destroy - [partially] resident & removal tool - SpywareBlaster - resident tool Thats all I use, and along with limited accounts and sensible internet use, I dont have a problem with Spyware at home. Regards Nath.
-
I believe that wont help you either as i believe you are talking about the very initial part at the text mode setup which you need to slipstream the NIC drivers into. This will probably explain it better than me: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/96969653-bd0f-44d7-af4f-f95c3016d2be1033.mspx?mfr=true Nath.
-
Also... have you read this page: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_winlogin_remove.htm You may also want to run the tools found here: - http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html [scroll down to the actual download section - remember to update it after opening it] - http://www.lavasoft.com / http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5 Unlike antivirus programs, Never use one spyware scanner - but be sure to use trustworthy ones. Windows Defender is one, but it misses things that the other two I've mentioned find. Regards Nath.
-
I've been using it for years thom in the same way you describe. I guess the only snag is havingto edit multiple batch files, but thinking about it, you could make a single batch script [i just havent had time to investigate it]. Nath.
-
and there lie-eth the usual story - hopefully one day this will change and people will wake up *stops before he starts to rant heh* Nice - so a NM & a technician then? I'm doing both jobs - only me here *sighs* with same sorta workload [although 2k3 server's] Whoever gets it should first sort out the 2k servers lol Nath.
-
hehe You should see mine then ;) Nath.
-
Hey Ross... are you going to the meeting tomorrow? Are we all going to give honest answers? I'm thinking about bringing body armour just in case [j/k]. I think I'll decine commenting on ours: http://broddyfi.epowys.net Guess I'm glad I didnt get their jobs when applying for them... the scrutiny would be unbearable hehe Nath.
-
I have a old version [5.5] of Print Manager Plus running, and its not bad, but the reports arent too user friendly. The handy thing about it is the setting of quotas and stuff, but I was just wondering whether anyone can give me the pro's and con's between what I have at the moment PMP 5.5 vs Papercut Quota [the reporting one is free but it'd be nice to have both products in one ] Nath.
-
I did knock a template up for this purpose, and it seemed to work - however, its not at the moment - so I shall try, try, try again... Nath.
-
Its probably the exclusive rights of 'my documents' of the users with these files.... right click the file to look at the properties, choose the security tab, choose advanced, choose owner, and then highlight your user on the list below and choose apply and OK your way back out... you should then be able to delete it/them. Nath.
-
I know it will sound like a cop-out here, but have you tried wiping it and starting from a fresh install? I know it may seem like i caqnt fix a computer this way, but in those "odd" cases that you haven't the time to resolve, its a good way to do it [of course, unless you have a good idea what it is naturally hehe]. Cheers Nath.
-
...and R2 and non-R2 server's should co-exist fine, so long as the schema has been updated like John mentions. Regards Nath.
-
Hello all Note to all: Any comments deemed to be flame bait, trolling, or other such nonsense [other than Joanne's one in post #5] - especially relating to other consoles in this thread - will be deleted straight away! There's no need for it here.... plenty of other forums for that elsewhere Lets all agree to disagree and say that all the new consoles have their strengths and weaknesses! The End! if you've nabbed the mighty PS3, get signed up and all that, and post what games you have, your PSN ID [and/or whether you want to be blind invited or not etc]. Let the good times roll... EDIT: 5th May 2011 Games I have (too many to mention) but here's some: - Resistance 1 & 2 - COD: 4, MW and MW2 - Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (the best multiplayer FPS game i've played) and Vietnham - Medal of Honor - Uncharted: 1 and 2 - Final Fantasy XIII - PixelJunk: Shooter 1 & 2, Monsters Encore, Eden, Racers. My PSN ID is the same as my username here Not too keen on blind invites, unless you are actually a member of edugeek, but feel free to drop me a PM on here or PSN or talk to me in game etc.... Accessories: - bog standard £5 USB keyboard - USB wired PS2 headset [i.e. from the Ghost Recon kit, etc] - PS2 memory card converter Cheers Nath
-
So ....um.... how did you get the product key's for the licenses you purchased from this company?
-
Nice concluding post Tony hehe Nath.
-
I have to agree with plugged_in... Its not MS' fault that the development team at Pinnacle can't be bothered to support Vista. Ironically, there's a installation folder on the Studio 10 DVD's that I have [we've bought 7 of them btw] so I for one will be giving them hell if they dont bring a patch that does the job. Nath.
-
Hope you all enjoyed the large update this week: http://www.playonline.com/pcd/update/ff11eu/20070308tgD5b1/detail.html Beseiged - NM's & lvl 7 [hopefully less but much harder monsters which would help the lag problem], New features, and a whole lot more. Nath.
-
Just tell them that it isn't possible I see the only real options you have is one of the following: a) only install 2007 on the staff machines and 2003 elsewhere b) If 2003 is needed on the staff machines [presumably for SIMS] then its just gonna have to stay as 2003 on those machines until the reason for it to stay as 2003 is gone I do try to accomodate most odd/unusual/PITA requests, but sometimes the answer just has to be "No, sorry" [i hear that enough from others so people will have to learn to hear it from me kinda thing ] Cheers Nath
- 17 replies
-
- migration
- office 2003
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Notepad2 here Nath
-
Knew you were gonna add that Geoff :D Nath.
-
Do you allow staff to have Local Admin privileges?
tarquel replied to Ravening_Wolf's topic in How do you do....it?
lol You'd think that would be the way, and in some schools it is, but in some schools it isn't unfortunately. I just grin and bear it [as best as I can :D] But where this discussion is going is best left to a different thread methinks Nath. -
Ooooh my fave.... MS licensing :D Shame i need to go to sleep. The short of it is: Technically u cant use the VLM unless u have VLK licenses for those machines SimpleSi - notice I do say "technically". I had a nice chat to MS about a while back, and they say that even tho they are both XP Pro [OEM & Volume], they are both different licenses etc etc. Yes, thats the short of it lol Haven't read all the posts as bed is calling, but like John says, HP OEM disks arent "standard" OEM disks generally, and I imagine that goes for all Royalty OEM [i.e. HP, Toshiba, Dell, etc etc] media - even if it looks like a normal, standard XP OEM CD. You can quite legally obtain a media copy of a un-modified standard OEM CD - as of course, you have the license for it [but you cannot public distribute via the web though i.e. publicly viewable link on a forum]. You cannot obtain/use and/or distribute a modified XP media CD in any way [unless you are a royalty OEM]. Phew - think thats about right for now... Good night folks Nath.
-
Just to point out, that if u r "upgrading", then you cant have the other OS installed [AFAIK] - but two OEM and/or retail copies of course are fine to dual boot with. Regards Nath.
-
and sort of bolting onto Tony's suggestion, that if ur main workstation is running Vista, then could get the freely available Virtual PC 2007 [http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/virtualpc/default.mspx], install XP Pro on it [with the proper license for it of course], join to the domain and use it for admn stuff. Just an idea [and is part of my plan to do so when i get things running with the Vista Express Upgrades ] Hopefully MS wont be too long in bringing out a new version of the adminpak [and GPMC] - a new version of both that works on XP & Vista would be the ideal situation for me :D Cheers Nath.
-
Although its not much help, I had similar headaches while beta testing Vista. Setting up normal workgroup shares and the like at home proved to be too much of a PITA so I gave up [for the time being]. I even had ..."fun"... when both computers were running Vista. I thought it was probably just me and left it. Got a NAS device [that only works using a driver/software which of course was just as useless as obviously no Vista support] so now the beta testing is all over, it was back to running XP again hehe I do really like Vista, but its confusing things like this that should be easy for us to do that annoy me with Microsoft. Nath.
