Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

AlfaTech

Members
  • Posts

    310
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AlfaTech

  1. Well, I'm only 15 hours into the game and loving every moment of it! Unfortunately my sleep-life is suffering somewhat, which isn't good on school nights. But what can I say? Bethesda have done it again with this truly stunning addition to the Elder Scrolls series. I love the random element that the dragons bring to the game, the AI makes some pretty unpredictable things happen at times - like last night I came across a bandit's camp and then a dragon appeared and all hell broke loose as it completely toasted my enemies. It's easily the best ES game (the latest ES are always are an improvement on the previous release and this makes Oblivion look so archaic). It's quick to get into and seems like a fairly easy game (especially if you know what you're doing) - far easier than say Daggerfall or Morrowind, so it should appeal to novice and veteran gamers alike. Some people keep posting exploits and spoilers, please stop, you don't need to do this. Why try to wreck what is a perfectly fun and straight-forward game for the rest of us, we don't need to know how to cheat and like I said it's not that difficult anyway. *rant over* All I can say is, if you haven't got it yet then don't delay, buy it now! Skyrim is an amazing game and very very well put together. Prepare for hours of endless fun as the Dragonborn!
  2. A new GTA game! I'm sooo excited. Check out the trailer at Rockstar Games, it even made the BBC News. So now we've got something else to look forward to (I'm still waiting for Rockstar to release Red Dead Redemption on the Pee Cee, it's no fair).
  3. Keep an eye on www.3DSBuzz.com They did get as low as £100 at one point, but it's doubtful that they'll drop that low again. I paid £179 for mine when it was first released, I would be upset at the price drop had they not dished out 10 free NES and 10 free Gameboy (yet to come) games as part of their ambassador scheme.
  4. Fair enough, although the minimum specs aren't that high: Dual-core 2Ghz, 2GB RAM, 512MB GFX. And it only needs DirectX 9c. So it should play fairly well even on older machines.
  5. No way, I'm playing it the way it's meant to be played... on a Pee Cee with mouse 'n keyboard (I have an XBox controller if I want to revert to jerky movements - somehow I think not). Can't wait, 10 days and counting!
  6. Not long to go now, released on 11.11.11
  7. Congratulations to Jason! Well done mate (I dunno if you're on here) but jolly good show. I came a close 2nd (again) but they've kept my details should they need anyone else. That was a good interview too, does credit to the college.
  8. Ooh a Devon job! Thanks for that, I'll have to see if I can squeeze an application in on time.
  9. I saw this in today's paper, the receptionist pointed it out to me. But no, its not for me this time (I'm on a higher grade and am getting the same salary for doing a 4 day week). Good luck to whoever goes for it though!
  10. Well it's an Apple isn't it! They are very good at marketing and making things 'look' nice. I would be very interested to read that article Effluo. That said, I wonder how many people who don't already own a Mac would buy an iPad, compared to existing Apple owners? IMHO its one for the fan-boys. Personally I'd hold out for an Android/Windows 7 or 8 based tablet if I was in the market for one. But I wonder what would be better for schools in the long-term (its that old question) PC, Mac or other? Having recently faced massive cuts I now seriously doubt if our school will be going ahead with procuring any fancy tablets any time soon.
  11. AlfaTech

    Astra VXR

    ...Or equally an Alfa Romeo MiTO turbo. I've got one with the Tjet150 engine (although its actually tuned to 155bhp) which doesn't half shift 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, 6-speed and 40mpg, which ain't half bad for a 1.4 turbo. Gives most things on the road a run for their money, plus it's got the Alfa looks 'n style so it gets the chicks too! (er, just kidding - but it does get a lot of attention).
  12. AlfaTech

    Astra VXR

    Good man! Gr8 car! Enjoy. I was gonna recommend that over an Astra VXR for a touch of class and style with a bit of raw power and great handling.
  13. IE8 standard, because IE7 is too vulnerable. Definitely not IE9, cos it's utter pants, is glitchy as hell and is trying to be Chrome. I mostly use Chrome (occasionally Firefox), but I've found that Chrome doesn't seem to work so well in a multi-user environment
  14. AlfaTech

    Astra VXR

    The only VXR I'd recommend is the VXR8 it's a beast of a machine and great fun to drive - if not a bit too thirsty on fuel. Realistically though if talking about getting an Astra VXR, it's gotta be better than the Corsa VXR!!! Although I hear that they aren't too great on handling - but go very fast in a straight lines though.
  15. Setup and fix a dismantled PC (re-seat disturbed memory, reconnect drive cables/power, etc). Boot up, add to domain. Create user account, share a folder and create password.txt file to put in it. Much more interesting that going through the BIOS settings for HDD, plugging in n/w cable, etc that you get at most interviews. The written test was very good too.
  16. Congratulations to the successful candidate, unfortunately it wasn't me - but I came a close second! That was an excellent IT skills test BTW, I really enjoyed it.
  17. AlfaTech

    Which Laptop?

    I have an XPS 15 with a similarly powered processor. Its a Core i5 560M - dual core, hyper-threaded to quad, running from 2.66 (to 3.2 GHz with turbo boost). Which is comparable to the i7 720QM in terms of performance, and it's plenty powerful enough. Especially combined with a dedicated NVidia GeForce 420M 1GB so it plays all the latest games satisfactorily and simply roasts PhotoShop. Check out the comparison of the 740QM to other processors here: Intel Core i7 740QM Notebook Processor - Notebookcheck.net Tech (Look down at 'Surrounding CPUs')
  18. I would've, but we don't really wanna move back down to Sussex.
  19. I was wondering how long it would be till we got circles within circles.
  20. I too would rather keep GMail out of it completely, so does that mean if my mailbox is getting spammed so is my Stream? I only want to view that what is 'social' and to be 'shared' in the Stream not all the rest of my junk mail. I like the integrated tool bar in GMail which gives access to G+, updates and all the rest. Hopefully they'll include an option to disable the GMail integration part.
  21. That's good to know. Thanks for the info. I'm really beginning to like this G+, it shows a lot of promise and is a much better alternative to BookFace.
  22. Great! Thanks for giving me something to go on (you will all be 'thanked' accordingly). I didn't think it would be to major a task, but it being a critical system we want to get it right first time. Thanks again, if I have further questions I will be back.
  23. It's getting high-time to decommission our elderly SIMS server and migrate the whole SIMS kerboodle to a nice new one. I just need to know how to go about it. Anyone shifted SIMS to another server before, how'd it go, and is there anything I need to be aware of? Also if you know about any notes, guides or training courses on the matter any info would be gratefully received. Thank you
  24. Is Nova-T 4 actually going to be phased out, or will it continue indefinitely, remaining as a legacy of yesteryear? The reason I ask is that so many people on our site still use it (and prefer it to Nova-T 6) and I was wondering if we're suddenly going to have loads of them running screaming at us for the sudden loss of their beloved system. I imagine that an uninstall would happen at the time of a future SIMS update, but does anyone have any idea of when this might be? If at all.
×
×
  • Create New...