-
Posts
310 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by AlfaTech
-
How far do you travel to work, how long does it take?
AlfaTech replied to jonny_2010's topic in Educational IT Jobs
N/E Bristol to S Bath (21 miles) takes up to an hour each way, but then I quite like driving (my car's a nice place to be in) as long as there isn't too much waiting in gridlocked traffic jams (which is just boring). -
Definitely! I lurve the X-Com series. And another Jullian Gollop game for the ZX Spectrum - Chaos (gr8 to play with m8s). Also Age of Empires 1,2+3, and Unreal Tournament are essential games for any LAN party. Recently been playing the old NES game Excite Bike, but revamped in 3D on the 3DS, I'm also gonna download good old GB Donkey Kong for the 3DS Virtual Console soon (once I get my head out of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D).
-
I've often reconsidered changing career and getting a driving job - because I like driving. I wouldn't be a driving instructor, no way. Bus driver, yes. Taxi driver, yes but I can't 'cos the missus won't let me. I did do a 6 month stint down on the docks driving new cars off ships, but at minimum wage there was no way I could make it work long-term. In the end I gave up and went back into what I'm good at, IT support. I would love some kind of field-support role, anything to get off-site and back on the road again.
-
Has it been released for the PC yet?
-
I'm a bit bored of FPSers, I mainly play games like N4S, GTAIV, TDU2 and LOTRO, Oblivion, etc.
-
+1 I've got a Dell XPS 15, Core i5 (with a GeForce GT420M 1GB) and it rocks! Its just as powerful as an Alienware branded one but half the price!
-
Funnily enough this is one of the games that is available to download from the e-Shop for the 3DS Virtual Console. But I've got my hands full with Zelda: OoT (3DS) and Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS) first though.
-
LOL Good on you. I never had an N64 (my last static-console was a SNES) so now I get to play all these games I missed out on - and in glorious face-slapping 3D. I can't wait for Star Fox 64 (Lylat Wars) 3D to come out later in the year, that will be out-of-this-world.
-
Thanks GrumbleDook, thats most helpful. Although at this stage I'm just after a list of pros and cons, you know how SLT like bulletpoints.
-
What, not even in OS X Lion "The world's most advanced operating system advanced even further"? I heard that they would be bringing out something in Lion to take care of this.
-
What!!! He ripped me off?!! Grr. Damn Gorons can't trust 'em as far as you can roll 'em. LoL Well what can I say, I guess 3D isn't for everyone - I've played my 3DS for hours without any side effects. Granted, you ought to start off with the 3D turned down to a comfortable level when you first start using it to let your eyes adjust.
-
Hmm. There must be some subtle differences between the N64 and 3DS versions then, I didn't have to do a quest to get the double-handed sword - I brought it for 200 rupees off a giant Goron. Zelda OoT 3D also has the legendary 'Master Quest' available once you've completed the game first time. But I've not yet got that far yet.
-
Anyone else got Zelda - Ocarina of Time 3D for their Nintendo 3DS? Anyone else even got a 3DS? Stop the press. This has got to be simply the best game ever for a handheld console. Its a faithful reproduction of the original N64 game, but has been enhanced in such a way that it looks simply stunning in true (glassesless) 3D. The depth perception is simply staggering and the way things seem to protrude out of the screen is amazing to say the least. If you like the Zelda series then you'll absolutely love this, if you haven't played Zelda or don't even have a 3DS then this game alone is reason enough to go out and buy one. 3D is the way forward, this is gaming evolved!
-
I think I'll give it a miss then! I played and completed the orginal DN3D years ago, but to be honest I preferred 'Redneck Rampage' which used the DN3D engine. "Fail to the king, baby!"
-
Hi guys I'm trying to help my n/w manager by building a 'pros and cons' list to be able to weigh up the options of implementing iPads into the school's network/resources. On one side we have the HT and SLT who are mostly Macolytes and want to bring the latest iPhads in to the school, on the other side we have us who are content with our current Microsoft/Oracle Global Desktop solutions/Music Macs and are concerned about how the introduction of iPads might work for the school (or not). Teachers seem to be managing fine with things the way they are, and the kids still use pen and paper (exercise books) along the school's workstations/VLEs, etc. So I'm after your thoughts really... What are the Pros and Cons of using/supporting iPads in a school environment? Thanks in advance!
-
Do any of these sites provide an embedded slideshow (in HTML) which can be used on say a school's website?
-
Never has a product produced so much ranting from either side of the Apple divide
-
Oops, I forgot to mention this is for an XP laptop (not 7) - but great tip all the same. Any ideas?
-
Just formatted and rebuilt a laptop for a teacher, but forgot to save his desktop icons that switched between the laptop screen and projector. Does anyone know how I can set up desktop/shortcut icons to switch from internal to external display, and visa versa, or know of any (free) software which will do this? Thanks in advance.
-
Sophos Anti-Virus Version 7 to version 9.5
AlfaTech replied to Mick_Dundee's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Yep, first install Enterprise console then rollout to clients - if you need the full installation (rather than upgrade) you can get it by logging into Sophos' website and going to Support > Download and Updates. Work through each of the sections on the upgrade advisor, this should be helpful Prerequisite checks performed by the Sophos Upgrade Advisor: what they mean i.e. you'll need a recent version of SQL (installed with Endpoint) , and consider using another server (not the DC), etc. -
Hello I'm new around here. I am a thirty-something and I work as a school's ICT techncian and drive an Alfa Romeo (hence the username - but I don't fix Alfas). I have been working for a secondary school in North East Somerset for just over a year now. I have well over 10 years of commercial techncial experience and have worked for Devon County Council, NHS, an Internet ISP, and many other companies. I recently graduated from university and now I'm really enjoying working within an educational environment. I have just about got to grips with some new technology (well new to me) namely VLE's (Kaleidos/Merlin) and SIMS, and I am generally adept in the ways 'n workings of Windows (servers 'n workstations). So I am really glad to have found a forum which directly relates to what I do. Hooray for EduGeek.
- 4,290 replies
-
- assistance
- background
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Sophos Anti-Virus Version 7 to version 9.5
AlfaTech replied to Mick_Dundee's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Don't pay someone to do it! Upgrading to Enterprise Console 4.5.1.0 (server) and Endpoint Security and Control 9.5 (client) is easy. I've recently upgraded the servers and rolled out to clients across two domains. You might have some initial teething troubles, and if you get really stuck Sophos' support is excellent, but for the most part it is a very straight forward process. -
At the moment I've been playing Need for Speed:Hot Pursuit, and Lord of the Rings Online (The Lord of the Rings Online - Play for Free!) is now FREE! (Well upto about about lvl 30, then they try an charge you for extra content)... my character's called Kitalon on the 'Laurelin' server if anyones on LOTRO. I also play a couple of browser games too: Glory-Wars.net (as Kitalon) and Holy-War.net (as Tertullian). I love games!
-
Many thanks, I'll let the network manager know that he doesn't have to panic just yet.
-
I doubt that you'd need a dual-core gfx card, any modern ATI or NVIDIA based gfx card should be able to cope with Discover. But you would probably need a computer with at least a dual-core, or ideally quad-core+ CPU. We've just received an update saying that Discover will require at least 4GB Ram (which doesn't make any sense to me unless they're thinking of releasing a 64bit version of SIMS ). Does anyone actually have a release date for Discover - all we've got is Spring 2011.
