-
Posts
641 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by theeggmaster
-
We use it on our Macs. I have SIMS set up as a RemoteApp and I give the staff access to the .rdp file. Opens in Microsoft Remote Desktop app and looks like it's native on the Mac, rather than having to navigate a Windows Start Menu. Same method also works on Chromebooks that have access to the Android Google Play Store.
-
I know this isn't using formulas, but would a pivot table do what you need?
-
Group Policy - wrong proxy getting picked up
theeggmaster replied to speckytecky's topic in Windows Server 2012
Could it be stored in the local user profile that is used when group policies aren't being applied? We can tell when there is an issue with Group Policy or Domain Controllers when our staff/students get no desktop background or proxy settings. -
Reflector 2 running on a PC works for us, but you'll probably have to have the BYOD devices and the PC on the same subnet. #edit# I haven't tried Windows streaming, but you may need another tool like AirParrot.
-
Yes, it isn't the most attractive thing in the world, but it does have a desk bolt option to secure to the desk.
-
We have a few of the Stone UniStands in one of our rooms where we want to prevent tampering. You can use a standard Stone USFF PC, so any spec that you want. Cover goes on the back to protect the cabling, and you have USB, Microphone and Headphone on the front. Keyboard stands up on the bottom of the stand if you want to use the keyboard space for pen and paper.
-
We have a Macbook which is acting as the Mac Server for profile deployment, MDM etc. It's started crashing regularly, so we've purchased a Mac mini to replace it. I'd like to do a P2V of the existing server so that we don't lose any settings or certificate trusts between the Mac server and iPads and run it on VMWare so I can take backups and make better use of the Mac Mini hardware. Has anyone managed to do this before? Just trying to not have to re-enroll all of the devices as we may lose any work that is on some of the MDM-deployed apps.
-
Are you using any sort of certificate to get onto your WiFi for authentication? We had an issue where the certificate only lasted a year, so removing it and rejoining it to the WiFi presented the new cert and then the iPads were happy.
-
I got this back from their helpdesk system: Hi Thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry for the trouble and happy to help. I have renewed your free Educational Team Account, but want to take this opportunity to inform you of some changes we’re making to our Education offerings. Currently, Lucid offers team accounts to anyone with a valid education email address at no charge. Despite this offering, many education users end up on their own accounts or on a free trial, leading to varied user experiences and access levels subject to paywalls within a single school or district. In an effort to provide a consistent experience, we are going to provision all new education registrants onto their own individual account. We will no longer offer free teams and will begin the process of partitioning existing teams onto individual basic accounts. We plan to start this work immediately. What does this mean from a functionality standpoint? From an end-user standpoint, not much! Teachers and students will still be able to create stunning documents and diagrams, access from Google SSO and backup to Drive, and collaborate through link-sharing, etc. If you are interested in learning more about our Premium offerings, please feel free to touch base and I would be happy to walk through a feature comparison. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Have a great school year!
-
Yes, I agree with you 100% and I have argued this point but I can't control the printing policy in her school. In a lot of schools it isn't just printing. Teachers buy pens, pencils and other stationery out of their own pocket.
-
I bought one of these for home (my wife's a teacher and printing is limited at her school).
-
I run it with Command Prompt rather than PowerShell. You could try that?
-
You should be able to do this with GAM.
-
Spiceworks Cloud version is free also (link)
-
Article: Google G Suite Webinar - 08 Dec 2016
theeggmaster replied to Dos_Box's topic in Legacy CMS Comments
I'd like to join the webinar. -
I've just purchased a couple of Chromebooks to do speech to text using the built-in tools in Google Docs. They were originally going to buy iPads and Dragon, but I convinced them to try a cheaper option first and the students loved it. The fact that they can do typing on the Chromebooks too really helps.
-
You could absolutely adopt Google Classroom next to your infrastructure. We have Windows, Mac, iPads and Chromebooks, but we're a G Suite for Education school. We also run Active Directory and we still have software on all of our computers. We use Google for 95% of our school work, but we still use SIMS, Office and other software when it is required. What you'll need to do is provision Google accounts for all of your staff and students on a G Suite domain. That will give all staff and students access to Google Classroom. You can do this yourself with tools such as Google School Directory Sync if you want to sync with your MIS, or Google Cloud Directory Sync if you want to sync with AD. You can also sync AD passwords with G Suite Password Sync. If you want to provision all of your classes, you will be better off with Google School Directory Sync. Your teachers will have to be part of the class to give them access. There are also paid services to do this syncing for you. We use RealSmart for ours, but there are many others available.
-
Schools Gmail account possibly hacked?
theeggmaster replied to Smee's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Also log into the GMail account and look at the Sent Items to see if it was actually sent from that account. Check the deleted items too. -
[sims] Sending school reports electronically?
theeggmaster replied to Pink_Panda's topic in MIS Systems
We use Insight by Tasc Software as our Parent Portal, and our reports are uploaded to the child's information through SIMS Linked Documents. They aren't sent out via email or any other communication, similar to what you mention about an e-portal. I think that way is safer as you can monitor and track logons, and you know the data isn't going to the wrong email address (or even wrong postal address). -
We use RealSmart which gives us a Wordpress website with SSO to Google Apps, and SIMS - Google Apps sync of staff, student and class data. That provisions everything we need for collaboration and Google Classroom.
-
Our external address is already reverse proxied through the LA to get to us. I'll have to test and see if doing another reverse proxy would work.
-
I would absolutely do this, but our LA currently is only allowing us one external IP address, and that is used for our parent portal, Bromcom and RDP/RemoteApp. I have Guacamole installed internally, but no way of accessing it from home currently.
