-
Posts
641 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by theeggmaster
-
Just wanted to say thanks to @ass17 for this software. We're using it in our mocks and the staff and students love it. Well done!
-
I looked at them both a year ago when we moved into our new building, EntrySign to upgrade what we had, and Inventry to replace it. Inventry seemed to be much more full featured and well thought out, whereas EntrySign was only a slight upgrade on what we had currently with them. I was just more impressed with the Inventry system in general.
-
We have already purchased Impero for different reasons, so we'll probably put a message on screens using that.
-
We have an older version of EntrySign (installed in 2014), and it seems to work fine for us. Our version doesn't have the link to SIMS, so it's manual entry, but other than that, I'm happy with what it does. When I come to replace it, I will buy Inventry
-
We use a spreadsheet (Google Sheets) for ours. As we also have over 100 Chromebooks, we use the free Chromebook Inventory Google Sheets addon which syncs the info from the Google Admin panel into the spreadsheet.
-
We use LucidPress for our School Newsletters. You can embed YouTube into it. It is free for Education users.
-
Let's get our voice heard in the DfE
theeggmaster replied to maturelady's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
Only one of our Assistant Heads has heard of GDPR, so I'm raising it with our Head and Governors. Any guidance from the DfE would be so useful.- 35 replies
-
- data protection
- dfe
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
[sims] Detention reports - give us more data!
theeggmaster replied to SovietRussia's topic in MIS Systems
Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread, but did you ever find out how to do this? I've literally been asked this question today. -
Google introduces Chrome Enterprise subscription for businesses
theeggmaster replied to Arthur's topic in Cloud Services
The webinar recording is if you want a little bit more info. -
Hi all, I've just had this sent as a DM on Twitter from Securly. May come in useful for someone (or may be a money saver if you're currently paying for it).
-
Vembu Software free - Anyone using it?
theeggmaster replied to Shadow_Walker's topic in Enterprise Software
So I've been trialling Vembu as an alternative to my working Veeam Free Edition backup, to see how it compares. Vembu does allow you to schedule backups, but once you drop from the trial to the free edition, a lot of the other features drop away (as you would expect). In the free edition, you take one backup when you set the backup job up, and then it does incremental backups from that point on. It saves the last three incrementals, and you can't choose to have additional full backups or more retention options. You can choose your own schedule from Daily, Weekly or just run once. When you restore, you can do a Quick VM Recovery, Live Recovery to Hyper-V server, File Level Recovery if you just want files from that server, or download the virtual hard drive in various standard formats. So, it works, it does a job, and that's exactly what you would expect from a free version of a commercial product! -
Vembu Software free - Anyone using it?
theeggmaster replied to Shadow_Walker's topic in Enterprise Software
I'm obviously using it, as I was the one to mention it in the thread! -
We've just implemented Vembu BDR Free edition. Scheduled Hyper-V / VMWare and file-level backups for free. I think it's excellent and saved us purchasing Veeam.
-
Excellent. I've been looking at something to do 3D modelling on a Chromebook. Just signed up for it. Thanks for sharing.
-
Just got access to this myself. Installed the app and tried to sign in. Got 'Can not reach the Google Drive service. Your network is configured to use a proxy server. This might be blocking access'. Anyone got this working behind Smoothwall?
-
No, it can happen with both newly-imaged and PCs that have been working for years. We don't name PCs with the unattend file, we have a prompt that you type the PC name into.
-
Thanks for all of your help. I suspect startup repair is the issue as it's not disabled. I'll get the batch script set up now.
-
We've had a couple of cases recently where we've found PC's renaming themselves to their previous name spontaneously. This then drops them out of AD and also breaks Google Chrome. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this before, and if they have found out why it's happening? I've looked at DHCP and DNS, and can't find any issues there (although I don't see how DHCP or DNS would force a device to rename itself).
-
Best software to backup Hyper-V Hosts
theeggmaster replied to newpersn's topic in Learning Network Manager
We use Veeam Free to back up our live system, and HV Backup to schedule the VM backups to an offsite NAS. You can then just unzip them and import without any third-party software, which may speed up Disaster Recovery. -
Yes, mine are set to indefinitely.
-
Yes, it does Mail, Drive and Groups. You'll have to set the retention rules before it starts doing it, though.
-
Yes, we use it and are very happy with it. We moved from KeepKidsSafe to RS ConnectEd last September. We're looking at the app now to replace our parent portal and also to save on SMS messaging.
-
We have used 4Matrix for the past three years, but our new Head used SISRA in his previous school, so we're moving to that instead. I think it's down to which one gives your school the most meaningful data in the format they want to look at it.
-
Last time I looked at a CRB reval machine (about 9 months ago), it was because the door had been easily opened by some students. I noticed that the reval machine ran on a Raspberry Pi, so it's not exactly expensive hardware!
-
You'll need to use commandreporter.exe, which lives in the SIMS .Net folder wherever SIMS is installed. If you run it, you'll see all of the switches you can use. I have it installed onto one of my servers, and I run a batch file every night to do an export to a CSV. An example of the command line in the batch file is: "c:\program files\sims\sims .net\commandreporter.exe" /user: /password: /report:"SIMS Report to Export" /output:"C:\sims export\sims export.csv" You'll need to replace and with a valid user in SIMS that has access to the data you want to export, and "SIMS Report to Export" is the name of the report you've created in SIMS.
