-
Posts
3,858 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by HarryMonkey
-
The pins are all straight on the drive. I think I'm gonna try the circuit board swap first and see if that does the trick. Failing that I guess I'll have to start saving my pennies : (
-
Just to drag this one out again, my O/H's Win7 laptop went belly up last night ... won't boot, no HDD in the BIOS. I tried it in a USB caddy on my win7 laptop and it wouldn't see it. I tried it in a different caddy on an XP machine at work today and it saw the drive in My Computer, but double clicking it gave a "E:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." It doesn't show as a drive in Disk Management. I tried booting a linux CD and tried to acces it via that and it doesn't see the drive. The drive is an 80G Hitachi IDE drive. It doesn't seem to be making any noises when I connect the USB lead so I'm assuming it's dead. Are there any inexpensive companies around that could recover the data (music and photos mainly)? Are there any other tricks that I could try (what does the freezer trick involve?) All contributions gratefully accepted.
-
Too old !! Will hit 53 in August.
-
I'm sure it's not, but if we all stopped doing stuff that was bad for us we'd not get out of bed in the morning. As my old grandad used to say ... You've got to eat a bit of muck before you die.
-
I worked at Silverstone for many of the GPs a few years ago, before they built the open grandstand opposite the old pits and start line. On one occasion I was right up against the debris fence - not the public fence but the wire mesh fence literally about a foot from the edge of the track, right on the start line. The sound that is generated as they take off at the start of the race is something that will live with me forever. I'm not a big F1 fan, in fact I find it pretty boring, but that noise is just something else. I've also been present for lots of the F1 testing sessions that were held there and whilst the sound of the cars is pretty special, nothing has ever matched that start line experience.
-
ICT Technician - Springwood High - Norfolk
HarryMonkey replied to ChrisN-0123's topic in Educational IT Jobs
We don't discuss salaries as part of the job thread. -
DIY - Half plastered, half papered with section missing
HarryMonkey replied to danIT's topic in General Chat
As it's a bathroom, you could always patch it with the paint and paper method and then screw a mirror to the wall to conceal the patch if need be. -
Hi folks, I'm selling my iphone 3GS. I have it advertised on ebay, just wanted to give you a heads up in case anyone's interested. Apple iPhone 3GS - 32GB - Black (Unlocked) Smartphone | eBay UK If I'm not supposed to advertise ebay stuff then can a mod please delete this thread. Ta
-
Whats the term I'm looking for? Copper between buildings
HarryMonkey replied to a topic in Wireless Networks
So the IEE regs and all the theory I learnt when I did my electricians papers is all wrong then? -
Errr, no they don't.
-
Marmite should be stored on a high shelf along with all the other dangerous products ... bleach, weedkiller, that sort of thing.
-
Whats the term I'm looking for? Copper between buildings
HarryMonkey replied to a topic in Wireless Networks
If a switch becomes live ... fire melts mains lead insulation ... then the copper network cable will be the conductor between the two switches. -
Whats the term I'm looking for? Copper between buildings
HarryMonkey replied to a topic in Wireless Networks
I'm sure there are cases where this may have happened. However, these are there as precautions. Would you really want to be the first docemented case simply because it hadn't happened before? -
Whats the term I'm looking for? Copper between buildings
HarryMonkey replied to a topic in Wireless Networks
The problem could occur when the two (or more) buildings are fed by different phases of a 3 phase supply. Should an electrical fault occur which then passes via the copper network cables, you have effectively joined 2 phases giving you 440v through the supply. One other selling point you could use is that if you use fibre, it can be run through the same conduit as the mains feed, whereas if you use copper it will require a conduit of its own, as it is not permitted to run mains with anything else through the same enclosure, which will clearly involve more cost. -
Controlling web based email
HarryMonkey replied to andyturpie's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Wot e said! -
So is mine, although when I sent off my SE C905 to be repaired it came back locked to Orange and I had to pay again to get it unlocked which was a pain.
- 16 replies
-
We use Sysaid. It's not free but it seems to do the job. Also has an iphone, android, windows phone, blackberry app. There is a free version for 2 admins and 100 users. Windows or Linux and completely web based. The paid for versions are based on number of admins, end users etc. It has a remote control as well as a chat facility, knowledge base etc. Seems to work pretty well here. SysAid - IT Helpdesk and Customer Service Software
-
Thousands of pounds worth of unspent ones apparently, use the link to see if you have any ... Homepage - Clubcard - Tesco.com
-
-
I usually start feeding mine once they start to flower.
-
The tomato plants will need feeding. Get some Tomorite (other tomato foods are available) from your local garden centre and feed as per the instructions.
-
Did they run out of 4's when they were printing off the lift buttons?
-
Nice shiny shoes. Just got some new ones as my last pair were starting to wear a bit thin on the soles. Only had them 5 or 6 years too, they just don't make stuff like they used to do.
