-
Posts
2,586 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by alan-d
-
Yep - it's easily done which is why we don't rely on that one aspect alone. I forgot to mention that the initial walk about is useful for the candidates too. I remember on one interview I'd sussed out that the guy running the IT in the college was only interested in finding a gopher to run an aging system, not an IT Manager to develop the system further. Needless to say I lost interest at that point.
-
I only set simple practical tests relavant to the grade, I would have a reasonable expectation of them being completed but I would also look at how they would handle it if the answer was not obvious to them. Do they confess that they don't know but would point to a resource where they could find the answer, or do they try and bluff it and con you into thinking it's something else, or do they take every screw out of the thing before admitting defeat. The practical tests are only a small part of the interview process, the format I use is usually a tour of the school, making a mental note of who asks what questions, get an idea of their personality etc. This is followed by the practical test or interview. The interview being the main aspect as it's here I can determine how good his knowledge is and combine that with various scenarios etc. We found this system extremely effective at weeding out the weaker candidates. Sometimes a candidate that falls over on the practical tests without bluffing etc can shine in the other aspects of the interview process. Technical knowledge is only part of the job, people management and how they react under certain circumstances are just as important.
-
I've been asked to review our web site with a view to making improvements. I have a good idea on what we want/need from it but was wondering what other schools use their web sites for. Is it just an advertisment for the school? Do you allow access to resources to students, parents, other schools/organisations? Those that have a VLE in place - is this available directly from the site and the resources accessible to all authorised users or is it available for staff and students only via a portal link? Basically what do you use the web site for? Secondly - do any of you use a php type site as opposed to html if so who is responsible for keeping things up to date and do you use an RSS feed. I'd be interested in seeing examples of school sites done with php type infrastructure. *Edit* Our site is here so you know what I'm upgrading from.
-
v5 is obsoloete. Everyone should be running v4 or v6. Yep - Can you tell our LEA that please
-
He's upgrading to V5 - but the routine is the same I presume all the correct sophos srvices are running?
-
Try manually uninstalling version 4 then run it again.
-
If you'd asked 2 days ago I had a pile of leaflets etc. Had a tidy up and binned the lot as we decided not to do it
-
Just in case anyone is interested.
-
Tempting - SMT are considering it but it all comes down to costs.
-
Thanks geoff As for re-educating our LEA - not got time Still waiting for a reverse proxy to be fixed after 10 weeks.
-
Anyone got a link to a distro download site that does not use Bit Torrent or ftp. our LEA blocks P2P file sharing I'm looking for Mandriva in particular. Ta
-
Other than the odd Ex I never did BAOR - except for 3 years at SHAPE Most are gone now swallowed up by RLC Progress?? - nah!
-
I'm looking to improve our backup solution and hopefully reduce future costs by removing the need for tapes. 2 domains totalling a useable 2TB Possibly looking for a NAS or SAN solution to give me the ability to do at least one full backup a week and incremental each day plus some to store images. I've looked at the Buffalo Terrastations but was wondering if anyone out there has used a different option? It would need to be located in another part of the building, so rack mounted would be useful as I may be able to stick it in a comms cabinet. Any suggestions?
-
and proud of it - even when forced to join the AG crap - I mean corps :?
-
Just wait for the queues of users with ' I did my work at home on Tescos Office and it won't open in school' routine Oh joy!! :?
-
Is that the same Spread Eagle up the road from what was Simpson Bks? Now a housing estate I believe Aaaaahhh - memories
-
Slap him and remove all access rights - send him on printer and keyboard cleaning duties and any other long dirty task not involving the use of a PC.
-
You almost sound like you are happy about rm developing it. :? He is Russ is an RM Groupie
-
I had a similar thing happen the other day - deleting it directly at the server, without remoting to it worked. I don't have a clue why though.
-
I had a similar problem when creating a new policy before the summer. I created a new one from scratch and it worked. No reason for it - both were identical (Maybe the 'Server Fairies' fixed it?)
-
Title speaks for itself - quick and easy with filtering and ability to export results. Duplicate File Finder Added to essential software list
-
We use Year joined>Form letter>admission number eg 06N1234 As far as email goes they use the exchange server within school and via our web site which they use the search facility to find each other.
-
stone computers has my seal of approval!
alan-d replied to projector1's topic in Recommended Suppliers
Yep ditto to the above Been using them for 2 years now for PCs and always received 1st class service.
