Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

alan-d

Members
  • Posts

    2,586
  • Joined

Everything posted by alan-d

  1. As above - we've been using it for 3 years with no probs at all
  2. Aaahhh so Russ is the mole
  3. PM me your email - I'll send a copy of ours which has just passed OFTED and Auditing
  4. we don't allow it at all. We have enough IT for them to use. Besides who is going to carry out PAT tests on every kids laptop?
  5. A persistant offender would have all his/her actions logged and there would be a pattern to the misuse. Your logs would show very little in comparison. It's a bit like being a window cleaner in this job, you don't mean to peek but sometimes you see things you'd rather not
  6. If you do find anything you could always use these guys . More info on this thread They will do a check of anything you ask them - I don't know what the costs would be but could work out cheaper when you consider the man-hours it would take you to investigate incidents yourself. No I'm not on a commission
  7. If you do find anything you could always use these guys . More info on this thread They will do a check of anything you ask them - I don't know what the costs would be but could work out cheaper when you consider the man-hours it would take you to investigate incidents yourself. No I'm not on a commission
  8. Thanks for the input guys, seems like I'll be using them
  9. Just had a very favourable quote for my annual printer consumables order from these people. Before I go ahead and order has anyone used them at all? Any comments good or bad?
  10. alan-d

    How Much?

    I've given kit away in the past but, not unreasonably, the school wants to try and make some cash. I have said that I'd have problems giving it away - but hey who am I? I just work here
  11. alan-d

    How Much?

    I have now run out of space to store old equipment and have several PCs and monitors I need to be rid of. Previously we have given kit away to other schools or charities. The school would prefer me to sell the kit off - which is fair I suppose. Before I get the final numbers of what I have etc I'd like an honest idea what price I could raise for: 1. RM- Pentium 3, 733Mhz, 64 MB RAM, 10 GB HD - includes NIC 2. RM Accellerator (PC5100) P2 266Mhz - includes NIC 3. 15" CRT Colour monitors (mostly Belinia) 4. 17" CRT Colour monitors - various makes They have been stored in a container for a year but they all work. Honest answers please
  12. We find that copying the connect.ini file from the server and pasting it over the local copy and deleting the local DB usually sorts out most of the weird errors that SIMs throws out. Worth a try - may save you a reformat.
  13. A wild guess - but does it write log files? Maybe taking it's time writing over older versions of the file?
  14. We use year of entry - Form letter - school number eg 03V1234
  15. I agree with everything you say. What I really failed to say was that if they are to publish a document like this then it should be clear as to what the meanings are. It would be terrible if things were left to interpretation. Hopefully this will happen in the final publication
  16. Just a couple of observations. Access to the platform remotely - Access to what exactly? I believe that a minimum criteria should be listed as to what parents are entitled to have access to. There is also an issue with curriculum programs as far as licensing goes - if they are saying that pupils should be able to access everything from home including programs then cost of licensing could rocket. Assessment management - 'This should include exam entries results and coursework.' - are we taliking about coursework results or the actual course work? Lesson Planning - If this is to be accessible nationally then it should state excatly what open format should be used. Staffing - The management of personnel could include.. - What? Coursework - again a specific format should be agreed and published. Cutomisable interface - I would recommend that this be scrapped and reworded to say that custisable interfaces should be available only within the limits required by DIDA recommendadtions.
  17. It's something I was looking for to convert an IT suite into a duel use classroom, but like it's been said - pretty pricey for a school budget. Image the size of the recharging cabinet for 20 of these beasts...
  18. Nice one @ indie A single Mac in our environment would not be cost effective as the laptop has to run windows apps to carry out other tasks. If I were creating a new suite then that may be a different story. As for your other comment - I'll assume that it was hot on a late Fri night and you were tired
  19. Good god man!! What u been doing all day? Hurry up
  20. Thanks guys - some good options there Yep - easy to get a Mac to authenticate - but double the effort installing all the other software ie a Mac version and windows version. As I've already said - it's for our PE dept - not the sharpest tools in the box!!
  21. Be reasonable - this is for a PE dept. Dual Boot? It's bad enough with a single boot Besides we don't have any macs and it has to connect to our domain. Too much effort just for one mac Thanks anyway
  22. As a one-off purchase for our PE Dept I'm looking for a high spec laptop. Preferences Pentium 2 to 2.3 (ish) min 60GB HD 512 to 1 GB memory min 128 for graphics DVD writer As you've probably guessed they want to upload movies and edit them onto a DVD. Any recommendations?
  23. hehe - indiegirl needs a screw Yes I know - totally inapproriate and unnessary - sorry :oops: *chuckle*
  24. Are they able to play games from an external source such as a USB stick?
×
×
  • Create New...