Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

alan-d

Members
  • Posts

    2,586
  • Joined

Everything posted by alan-d

  1. We use Seclectamark
  2. Whatever you do don't give them your email address or telephone number - they become the neighbours from hell!
  3. A classic Geek Song
  4. Is this a joke?
  5. Welcome to EduGeek mberry and congratulations on your promotion, although it must have been hard to drag yourself away from St Ives, a beautiful part of the country. As a Head of School together with your previous experience I'm sure your input will be a useful addition to some of the questions and comments made here. I've just taken up photography again now digital cameras mean reduced costs and time so your Flickr site was of interest. I've also taken up hillwalking so like to combine the two activities. I have some pics posted here (btw the rest of the site is just me experimenting with web sites) Again - welcome
  6. Nope it's the other way around - any gpo below the default take precedence and computer settings take precedence over user settings (Most of the time! :? ) It can get even more confusing but that's the very basic way it works
  7. and you still had time to photograph it? Pheeew!!!
  8. Added to the wiki
  9. Apologies if this has been posted already but for those that are fed up with drawing diagrams and mapping networks try this useful tool. http://www.mikrotik.com/thedude.php The really good thing is that it's FREE!!!!!! Not played with it properly yet - but looks impressive Maybe one for the essential software list? See what you think
  10. together with a 'how to' for the less technical minded members and save time for the techies There's no law saying you can't show ppl how to do it
  11. alan-d

    Sophos EM

    Do you really have to pay for 20 min work? That's shocking! Ours was installed last week at no additional cost by the LEA.
  12. Thanks Wes, I'll have a look.
  13. Anyone know of a free screensaver creator and editor?
  14. LMAO - no improvement from the kit I was trying to use about 5 years ago Nice one!
  15. The best advice I can give at this time is for you to look over what you have in place and find out what its uses will be. Every school is different, usually because most school networks started as a project for some enthusiastic member of staff who had their own ideas on how a network should be. From what you have asked - you could be buried with hundreds of possible solutions and still be none the wiser as to which would suit your new school best.
  16. Cool ! Not been to Leicester for years Is it open after 6 p.m. ? Which area are you thinking of Russ? Leicester isn't the easiest of places to navigate around the center for those driving
  17. As above and away for two weeks over tht period - sorry
  18. May I point you this way http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3192 No!!
  19. Not sure about the MSI yet - we are reimaging all our kit so just stuck it on the image May try and MSI it for the odds & sods we have about
  20. I'll have to wait till after the summer hols before I get my sports car Yes............. I know............... I'm dreaming
  21. Nice one We are installing it tomorrow
  22. Right I demand a public inquest on why we didn't know about this sooner!! (and Geoff - before you mention Linux - shut up )
  23. Don't talk to me about patches & laptops There is another thread about that here-abouts. We have about 250 of the things So big patches & installs we go around and switch them on but the small stuff we sneak in while the kids aren't looking The AV updates at the start of the first period and the last period. Only takes about 30 secs and it's back to normal. Over a week we find that 99% are up to date. As for getting them out we found that the kids can't get them out quick enough. The staff have more of a problem telling the kids they can't use them We use the Bretford trollies - basic security but suits us.
  24. Nice idea I'm going to start and build Sutton Coldfield first tunnel with ours
  25. The trick is planning and training Updates are done outside classroom hours (mostly ) and after a few tantrums by staff initially they realised that whilst the kids were logging on they had time to do any prep work etc. (Hang on this place is beginning to sound efficient - brb just going to check I'm in the right place :? )
×
×
  • Create New...