Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

alan-d

Members
  • Posts

    2,586
  • Joined

Everything posted by alan-d

  1. Geoff wins 1st prize (A night out with Russ)
  2. Not really a problem of too much vandalism here, but each case is dealt with individually in proportion to the crime.
  3. Many Thanks - VLC and Mozilla did the job
  4. We have a situation here where students have uploaded some videos onto YouTube which should not be there. We need to grap copies of the video for disciplinary purposes but at the same time have them removed from the site. Anyone know what player will play them once we manage to grab them?
  5. There is no real secret as to what files are viewed but as Mitch was starting a business and we trialled the software I signed a non-disclosure agreement. The other point is that some schools may give access to the files without realising the implications. A knowlegdable user could delete/tamper with them to hide their tracks.
  6. Nice site Very festive
  7. Sharepoint is an option but if we ever need to develop past the lite version it would start costing money. I looked at drupal but didn't see a module for AD authentication - will look again.
  8. I suspect your PM box will soon fill up with confessions from people who wish to remain annonymous Mine will be there soon
  9. I'm looking for a CMS that can easily authenticate logons via active directory. I've tried e107 which is supposed to work with ldap but it seems like there is still a bug. It seems that cms developers don't cater for this too well. Do any of you have any recommedations? I'm trying to avoid double logons if possible. Also have any of you used the ldap module with moodle?, as I'll be using that as well
  10. Wot reely anoys me is ppl hoo yuse txt spk - wots that all abowt?
  11. Looks like we are going to be looking to move away from BGFL soon too. The faults and niggly problems are getting on everyone's nerves.
  12. 1100 users, 220 PCs, 225 laptops, 10 servers plus printers scanners etc. 1 x ICT NM, 1 x asst NM/IC admin network, 1 x technician and 1 x Trainee tech.
  13. Got a meeting with SMT in 30 mins although I'm not expecting a final decision today On a slightly different note - anyone looking at implementing a VLE should look at the BECTA pages for it. It has a lot of useful guidance you can put in front of the Head Teacher & SMT
  14. Mmm - I'm tempted to see if I can add it to our GPO and see how many kids throw up
  15. alan-d

    SIMS vs CMIS

    Been there, done that I arrived just after CMIS was installed (moved from SIMS). It was so problamatic and user 'unfriendly' the school had the MD and programmers come over from Ireland to discuss and fix the problems. Nothing was achieved so the school went to Sims.net. Easier for the staff to use and problems are solved a lot quicker. It's not perfect by any means but the staff get on with it a lot easier than with CMIS which is the important thing. We've been CMIS free for 2 years now so my comments about it may be out of date and it may have improved - too late for us though
  16. No idea but would be interested in what it costs compared to Netsupport products.
  17. Thanks - but what is it like to use? Are teachers finding it easy? What are the costs like?
  18. I've been thrown a brochure for Frogteacher. Iv'e read the other posts concerning the security issues that have arisen but was wondering if anyone here has it installed or looked at it in more depth. Any comments?
  19. We have a fox that visits us in the garden - don't know his name though
  20. Most use SmartBoard or Promethean
  21. For the Fallen by Laurenc Binon With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children, England mourns for her dead across the sea. Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit, Fallen in the cause of the free. Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres, There is music in the midst of desolation And a glory that shines upon our tears. They went with songs to the battle, they were young, Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow. They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted; They fell with their faces to the foe. They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them. They mingle not with their laughing comrades again; They sit no more at familiar tables of home; They have no lot in our labour of the day-time; They sleep beyond England's foam. But where our desires are and our hopes profound, Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight, To the innermost heart of their own land they are known As the stars are known to the Night; As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust, Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain; As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness, To the end, to the end, they remain.
  22. No offence taken - I totally agree. We should also remember those that died serving but not necessarily in a conflict. We tend to forget those that are killed training to defend us.
  23. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong but what will the kids need to store? Surely most of the input by kids will be stored as text, spreadsheet or database. I can't see them having to store large graphics or movies as that would be part of the lesson set up by the teachers. 1GB would be more than enough for that. The larger quota would need to be where the resources are held. Take 500MB from each kid for resources and you'll probably get it right. Remember you can always increase it later It would probably take a while for schools to get resources and for the system to get going anyway.
  24. Why not email [email protected] and be one of the first to use this site to promote yours
  25. Thanks Dave - spk on msn when I'm on next
×
×
  • Create New...