Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

alan-d

Members
  • Posts

    2,586
  • Joined

Everything posted by alan-d

  1. Thanks so far I have a quote from usb-flashdrive 2GB with lanyard and logo for £10.25 each for the twister 1 model. Any more?
  2. Short notice I need a good cheap supplier for USB pen drives preferably 2GB possibly branded with school logo. I'm looking to buy 500 initially if the price is right.
  3. I think the main bottleneck of IT in Schools is the almost total lack of understanding of IT by teaching Staff. Very often it's a case of them speaking to a salesman and being taken in by the pretty pictures and promises that this hardware or software will work with anything else out there, but when it's installed it's not touched because all of a sudden it's too complicated. Basic IT skills for all teachers should be compulsory, we have tried here by providing ECDL courses and exams, but the majority of staff haven't taken up the offer, despite it being free. There is a very clear dividing line between those teachers that embrace technology and go out of there way to create or provide resources and those that avoid it at all costs. Together with our SMT we push staff into using IT by enforcing electronic registration, online assesments and reports. However the technophobes still dodge any other involvment with IT. So in answer to your original question - Teacher training in IT would be of great benefit. There is nothing more embarrassing than a teacher asking a pupil how to display a DVD on the Interactve Whiteboard.
  4. 24 July is the first Tue of the summer break for Birmingham schools
  5. I think I have this right but just want confirmation. We going to install a new server to host SIMS.net as the old one may struggle a bit with the SIMS upgrade later in the year. Anyway - Apart from installing and licencing Server 2003, am I right in saying that for MS SQL 2005 we need 1 x Processor licence and CALs for each client that accesses SIMS at any one time? or Can we just have 1 x processor licence as the clients don't actually access the MS SQL database directly but via SIMS. I believe the first option is correct but I can't understand MS licensing at the best of times and today is not a good day
  6. In answer to question 2 - Yes. I have both on my PC. Not tried to deploy it yet though.
  7. Give them a call for up to date pricing - they don't publicise the education discounts openly.
  8. Aaahhhh the joys of being in BGFL world
  9. We are looking to do a similar thing - do you have a link to the user forums for buffalo? According to this It should work fine if set up as a client. I just want to check
  10. Children in my new office? NEVER!!!!!!!!
  11. Soundproof cabinets do exist an example See here Putting servers in them? Mmmm never thought of that - thanks
  12. We will need 2 cabinets shortly. Floor standing (with castors) preferably soundproofed. Not sure of exact sizes yet but anyone got a recommended supplier?
  13. Nah go for Cat6 and a few wireless mice
  14. Dammit - put your hands up if you know the answer - don't all shout at once!
  15. The correct name escapes me but you should have a public entertainment licence which covers the watching of BBC programs and DVDs and the such. I'm sure someone will give the correct name of it soon
  16. Ours was picked up on the server in a user home directory. No reports of clients being infected yet.
  17. Sophos found it here this morning - moved the virus into quarantine.
  18. ditto - make your image as complete as possible.
  19. Beat me to it
  20. Are the problems send and recieve related or just the online interface? We forward all mail to our exchange box and don't seem to be having any problems. (Well - noone has said anything yet! )
  21. Nope - had the nod from SMT to get rid
  22. alan-d

    2007 it budget

    Just had ours and got what I asked for. I won't publish how much - no time to read begging letters
  23. I've just asked our teaching staff for such a list for our new intranet. All I have at the moment are 42 French language sites. Send me a pm with an email address and I'll send em over. Never mind - see attached
  24. Our staff have full access to their laptops, but we have an AUP and additional agreement for the laptops to cover all eventualities. Basically if any wrong-doing is found then the individual is hung, drawn and quartered by the HT and the laptop withdrawn. So far there has been no reason to withdraw a laptop yet, but we are confident that everything is in place to enable us to deal with any issues. As far as the above problem - document the conversation thoroughly together with everything found on the laptop, list all the software installed whether it be legitimate or not. You will need it if it turns nasty.
  25. Ooohhhh No you didn't Let's not forget the HT has some responsibility too
×
×
  • Create New...