-
Posts
2,586 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by alan-d
-
We place ours in a specific location and when searching just exclude or include that location as appropriate. If the item leaves the site completely we would print off the details and file it before deleting it of the database. I've toyed with the idea of creating a seperate GLPI for those items but haven't got around to doing it yet.
-
For Heavy mono printing have a look at the Brother laser 7050 and for colour look at the Brother 4040.
-
Recycle Company for Toners, Mobile Phones etc
alan-d replied to Sentro's topic in How do you do....it?
You must be using massive amounts of toner! How long have you been using Recycool? I ask because we had about 18 months worth of empty cartridges packed in 4 very large boxes and had about £50 for it all. I've come to the conclusion that it is not worth the time and effort. -
OCS and GPLI do let you add individual devices but it's not a tidy solution as they are bulked together under the heading 'Devices'. It does record the software installed on PCs and gives the option to uninstall it, although I have never tested this. It will link devices, but you have to do this manually, at least with the PCs, I haven't looked at devices such as devices in a rack. GLPI has it's uses in that it provides an auditable trail of kit and tickets assigned to individual devices. The helpdesk side isn't friendly to the average user but that isn't an issue here as we enter the details ourselves. The real buggerance with GLPI is it's limited reporting. For example to get a list of kit in a single location is impossible without writing a query direct from the DB. At the moment we have it in place, it ticks all the major boxes but there is room for some tweaking which we haven't got around to doing yet.
-
Argh! I picked up a copy of the Sun on the bus....
alan-d replied to Little-Miss's topic in General Chat
Toilet paper that does not smudge when wiping the ass? -
Is one of them my laptop quote?
-
I'm pretty sure that the responsibility lies with the supplier, even for warranty work. I've recently been following a similar story on another forum in which the original supplier was fobbing warranty work off to the manufacturers. The answer from the consumer and trade advice boards was that the contract of sale which included the warranty was with the seller and it was up to the seller to deal with his supplier\manufacturer. BTW the item above was for a Caravan but the principle is the same.
-
I wonder, if we look through the records, how many school fires happen at this time of year compared to the rest of the year?
-
I was told that by Forensics - last February!
-
[joke] How really did for the Dragon?
alan-d replied to GrumbleDook's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
:doh:Doh!!!! -
[joke] How really did for the Dragon?
alan-d replied to GrumbleDook's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
I'm sorry guys but the Dragon lives It's there ... Breathing fire ... Every time I walk in my front door! Will she ever give up? Where's George when you need him? -
Also have a look at this thread http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows/52344-pcs-not-seeing-wsus-updates.html
-
Is it just me, or has car insurance got reeeeeally expensive recently?
alan-d replied to maniac's topic in General Chat
It was the same for all companies - we only enquired out of curiosity thankfully -
What? Ten to Nine
-
Is it just me, or has car insurance got reeeeeally expensive recently?
alan-d replied to maniac's topic in General Chat
One excuse I often hear from the Insurance company is 'It's down to the postcode you live in' I tried telling them it is the same one as last year but they didn't want to know £600 to add your son - Bah!! Peanuts! £4K to add our son and he's been driving for 3 years! The ridiculous thing is that he can get fully comp for less than a grand to drive his Seat Leon FR which is more sporty than our other cars. Still trying to work that one out -
Have a word with Stone Computers, for what you are after they will easily quote well within your budget, they are supplying and assisting our new setup in the summer and we have a larger setup than what you describe.
-
Sorry I'm a bit late with this but I've been hammering away at WSUS over the past few days with Clients refusing to be picked up and WSUS not picking them up all for different reasons which is annoying. I've put together a batch file which I call my 'Kill or Cure' approach and so far it has worked on 99.9% of clients I've run it on (All XP Pro) rem Runs BitFix @echo sc sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU) rem Fixes problem with client machines not showing up on the server due to imaging method @echo on reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /f @echo update winhttp proxy proxycfg -u @echo Triggering detection after resetting WSUS client identity net stop wuauserv net start wuauserv wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow @echo Force GPO Update gpupdate /force /boot I don't know if this will run on Vista or Win 7 but should be easy enough to adapt.
-
Keswick is a good base to be. The town is fairly decent, it sits on the shore of Derwent Water and you have some decent walks available such as Cats-Bells etc. If you want to be further away from the busy town then try Troutbeck, not too far from Keswick but very quiet.
-
I've had a set of those for about 4 years now and they are brilliant. When gaming they gave an excellent sense of sound direction and surround sound in films and music is superb. Mine also came in a high quality silk lined box too but I think they have stopped doing that now. I've ordered some Sennheiser CX 550 for my ipod which have good reviews. A bit pricey but wife is paying [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-CX-550-Style-II/dp/B001EZYLUK/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270105542&sr=8-21]Sennheiser CX 550 Style II - Premium Metal-crafted: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]
-
Try this one 'Allow non-administrators to receive update notifications - Disabled'
-
Some students are allowed to use computers for accessibility reasons. eg A student suffering from dyslexia may be allowed the use of a word processor during exams.
-
Since the last PCE update we have had no real problems. We had an issue of it not blocking sites like youtube correctly but Forensics have given us a fix for that which seems to be working on the few clients I have it on for testing. We should be rolling it out to all clients next week.
-
I told you to update Sophos!
-
Suicide bombers training school sucks!!! or Fix it yerself - I'm busy!
-
Acceptable use Policy Software
alan-d replied to AnnDroyd's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
One less piece of software to worry about
