googlemad
Members-
Posts
1,904 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by googlemad
-
OK that is odd - If I type the same path in it works but clicking the link to the path does not!
-
Using the latest version of Chrome we cannot open a link such as the following : file:///L:/Scans/Student_Services/12345.pdf Is there any way to get this working (ideally without extensions) as our CIS web information system basically just generates the links from the hotlinks attached to the student record which is the L:\ mapped network drive location.
-
I've set up a top of the range Logitech webcam on a laptop to film our new build...trouble is the Logitech software is a bit crap and there aren't many options What webcam software is available that will let us film the build progress and also ideally time lapse the footage (So the build 'takes 10 minutes' to happen if that makes sense!) Thanks
-
We just got some new MFDs, Kyocera 55551c or similar? Anyway the reprographics scans exams certificates, I dowvloaded the Kyocera TWAIN network driver and the scanning works - however only in black and white! Upon checking the TWAIN settings, it greys out the colour options if the scanner (MFD) is over a network IP address? Any ideas? The scanner facility definitely supports colour as the scan to email function on the MFD sends me a nice colour PDF!
-
Thanks for the advice, I know the script is old but like I said it has been working for years so haven't needed to really look at it until the new MFDs turned up! What we have is the main MFD pull queue which 80% of our rooms (OUs) use, then there are a few rooms with a stand alone HP printer (These are also networked and on the print server so no worries there). So just a more robust way to map a printer depending on OU and setting it as the default before the user gets to the desktop really. I'm fairly sure I tried GPP in the past (Win 7 / 2008 R2 environment) but it was a bit hit and miss and didn't seem to remove printer queues from users if they logged in elsewhere (So for example if a user was based in a room with a HP printer and they then went to use a room with the MFD pull queue they would still get mapped to the HP printer!)
-
For the past several years I've been using a great little script provided by someone on here to map print queues as below : 'Name : addprinter.vbs 'Author : Matt Davies 'Date : 22/03/2006 'Description : - Used to add printers for a user ' - Used inconjunction with group policy at Workstation level so it runs per room ' - Needs to be run under "USER" Logon scripts Option Explicit Dim objNetwork 'declare the printer names - add as necessary Dim strUNCPrinter1 'Dim strUNCPrinter2 'set the UNC path to the printers you want mapped - add as necessary strUNCPrinter1 = "\\papercut\PullPrinter" 'strUNCPrinter2 = "\\ygg-printers\5170-Cymraeg" Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network") 'remove old printer(s) first 'for debugging comment out next line only on error resume next objNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection strUNCPrinter1 'objNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection strUNCPrinter2 'Wait 3 seconds whilst windows removes the old printers wscript.sleep(3000) 'Add the printer to the computer - add as necessary objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection strUNCPrinter1 'objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection strUNCPrinter2 ' Here is where we set the default printer - change if necessary objNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter strUNCPrinter1 'End the script Wscript.Quit We recently got new MFDs and whilst this script still does the job, the problem is the user can log in, open Chrome / Word etc before the script has done it's business (I suspect the new MFD driver is larger than the old one too) and therefore go to print and end up having a default printer of 'Save to PDF' etc! (If they close the program then open it back up obviously the correct default will be then set, but especially with the newer computers they can be in to their programs very quickly after logging in!). Is there anything else out there that works reliably these days? Realistically the printer needs to be pulled down and set as default before the user is at the desktop opening their programs.
-
We are having some major issues with Google Chrome On some machines / users it starts the chrome.exe process but doesn't actually open a Chrome window, and in a more interesting twist recently when some staff / students log in they are automatically greeted by 3 Google Chrome windows opening! What on earth is going on? At least Internet Explorer can manage to allow users to surf the net, Chrome is driving me up the wall!
-
We've just got Papercut in today along with some MFDs designed for the job, rather than our previous solution of PCounter and some rather antique Ricoh MFDs that had to have readers bolted on the side in most cases! All I can say is...wow! I've only started playing with it today and already I'm looking forward to clicking around whereas with PCounter it was more a case of 'daren't touch anything in case it breaks'! One question...I was importing our PCounter ID card number database earlier for the users and made a backup first as recommended, I then managed to bugger up by forgetting to remove the tick box from 'create new accounts if they don't exist' resulting in 2000 extra Papercut users! Easy enough to resolve, just did a resync with AD and selected the delete any accounts that can't be found in AD however if I needed to how do I restore the Papercut backup made earlier?
-
I'm having a real bugger of a time trying to create a Driver Package for Intel DB75EN boards, in particular the Intel 82579LM Gigabit Ethernet Controller! Does anyone have a driver package for this particular motherboard they could export and send across?
-
Is there any way to disable a load of user accounts but automatically have them enable again once the user enters their correct username and password? We're 'not allowed' to simply wipe all the student accounts and start fresh any more due to how our courses no longer seem to stick to simple academic years (Apprentices etc confuse matters!) so I was thinking disable the lot of them and the ones which haven't logged back in after a set date in late September / October can be deleted.
-
Just deployed a Windows 7 image with SCCM, works fine apart from there is an 'EN' icon at the login screen allowing the choice between 'English (UK)' and 'English (US)'. A minor thing, but is there any way to nuke it via Group Policy?
-
[sccm 2012] There are no volumes available for use
googlemad replied to googlemad's topic in O/S Deployment
Argh! Scrapped the idea of UEFI for now as I realized our older systems might not support it fully so went back to trusty old MBR Still crashing with that error, but found out my Task Sequence was trying (by default!) to apply the small boot partition before the Apply OS step, as soon as I moved it above the Apply OS step it works perfectly! I'm off for a beer! -
The parameter is incorrect. (Error: 80070057; Source: Windows)]LOG]!> Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows)]LOG]!> Trying to test a SCCM x64 Windows 7 (UEFI) deployment on a blank ESXi v5.5 VM, and this error occurs. I bought up the command prompt and did a DISKPART which does show the disk / volume available for use. Any ideas? I set the VM to UEFI mode.
-
Last year I built a SCCM 2012 server, I got the basics done then thought 'I'll go back to it when I get a moment'...of course that moment never came round! So this week I want to start from scratch, get SCCM in place then create a image from scratch etc. Anyway can I scrap my existing SCCM 2012 server and build a new one without any impact? I remember making several changes to the AD etc when installing it before! Also can I build it on a Windows 2012 R2 server for use in a Server 2008 R2 / Windows 7 domain?
-
Thanks - they were making it far too complicated mentioning MX etc! They were worried the forwarded email would remain on the Hostgator but I then found out you can have the forward set up and just delete the email accounts set up at Hostgator and it works!
-
One of our users has their own domain with CPanel access, let's call it abc.co.uk (Hosted with Hostgator) They want to redirect any email from [email protected] to [email protected] (Our domain, using Google Apps) I'm getting confused how to configure this with the CPanel, I don't understand what to add and how it will work out to point one to the other!
-
We have a fairly antique Bluesocket wireless system, and users are authenticated via MAC address Over the summer we have some contractors in who have bought their laptops and wireless HP printer, so we added all the laptop MAC addresses and the printer MAC address to Bluesocket, but the printer isn't getting picked up by the laptops despite technically being on the same wireless network! Any ideas?
-
I use Excel to create CSV files for temporary logins One column I need is [email protected] [email protected] etc If I just put login1 and double click the bottom right of the cell it populates the column with login2 login3 etc fine. But if I add the @domain.ac.uk bit at the end it doesn't work! Which wouldn't usually be a huge issue as it would be a small amount of temporary logins but this time 250 are required!!! Any ideas?
-
Under our Active Directory 'Users' container we have the following Sophos users / groups : SophosAdministrator (Group) - Domain Local SophosDomainAdministrator (Group) - Global SophosDomainPowerUser (Group) - Global SophosDomainUser (Group) - Global SophosManagement (User) SophosOnAccess (Group) - Domain Local SophosPowerUser (Group) - Domain Local SophosSAUADC10 (User) SophosSAUADC11 (User) SophosSAUADC20 (User) SophosSAUCOMET10 (User) SophosSAUREBEL1 (User) SophosUpdateMgr (User) SophosUser (Group) - Domain Local I set up a brand new Sophos Enterprise Console v5.2.1 R2 yesterday and was only instructed to create the 'SophosManagement' and 'SophosUpdateMgr' users on the domain, can the rest be wiped? None of the groups have any members...
-
We have a Group Policy that sets the Internet Proxy settings via the 'Internet Explorer Maintenance' section which works fine and is applied to the Staff and Student OUs However we have a group in AD called 'Marketing Staff' (of which then contains several users from the Staff OU) for which we do not wish to receive these proxy settings. What is the best way of going about this?
-
Does anyone have any idea why when our students try to print a Remittance using Sage 2011 it duplicates the entry on the remittance?
-
I seem to remember downloading all the (then Whistler!) XP leaks. Many disliked the Fisher Price interface but when you were following the beta / RC process and that was suddenly introduced I was quite blown away by it all!
-
So we have 2 SAN units for our backup, one is now starting to fail a lot so the idea is to just shut it down and shove the drives from it into the working one to have one big SAN for backing up to, split into 2 RAID sets. (Or would it be better just having a single RAID set?) There are 14 1tb drives to play with, so I was hoping to create 2 x 7tb RAID5 sets which would give roughly 2 x 6tb volumes? At the moment the working unit has 8 drives in it configured as a RAID set, is it possible to bring this down to 7 without wiping all the data? The controller is a ARC-1260 Hopefully the above makes sense as RAID is something that starts to baffle me quite quickly!
-
They're about 5-6 years old now, made by Westek. To be honest they were a bit of a nightmare on our Live network (at the time we were unaware of the firmware issue which caused quite a large issue as it affected almost every drive in the units!) so they've basically been used as backup repositories for the past 3 years. If the only difference is the lower warranty period and MTBF we'll just stick a couple of the consumer drives in as they're probably getting replaced next year anyway.
-
We have a couple of old SANs with Seagate ST31000340NS drives in, a couple have failed now and they're discontinued - Some places have them in stock but it seems to be a gamble as to what you get! (These had a firmware issue a while back). Anyway, my main question is can I just buy a few of the below and stick them in the SAN? I can't see much difference between the 'enterprise class' model (They certainly aren't any more reliable!) above and the one below! Seagate 1TB Barracuda 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive.. | Ebuyer.com
